Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #46
Sirtel
Guru
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Thanks. I'm delighted you replied with examples. It seemed to me that with agency pricing this should not be happening with non-Indies, and I would be surprised to see Amazon beaten in price on Indies very often.

I have only checked the first book on your list, In Truth and Claw. With this book at least you seem to be comparing prices in different countries. In Australia, for instance, the book is currently available on both Amazon and Google Play at $A7.47 including 10% GST. (€4.78 at current exchange rates). Amazon US currently have the book at $9.99 with the price set by PRH. Kobo US also, as expected, have the book at the same price. Amazon.de have the book for €5.40. I don't have a US Google account and would have to jump through too many hoops to get the US price. However, given agency, if it is cheaper at Google Play books in the US I suspect Amazon and Kobo would want to know why!

If your Google Play Store account is in one country and your account with Amazon is in a different country you may well find many instances like this. An account with Amazon.de may be worthwhile for you if Amazon will allow it. Kobo users have long recognised the benefits of "travelling", though Amazon are not quite so accommodating with this practice.
Both accounts are in Estonia. My Kobo account is in Germany, because otherwise Kobo won't let me use PayPal. I have not "traveled" with Amazon, because I've heard they're much stricter than Kobo in that regard.

Most tradpubs I see at Google and Amazon are UK editions. Why the differences in price, I've no idea.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:36 PM   #47
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
@John F. That's interesting. An agency ebook in the US cheaper at Google Books than either Amazon or Kobo. I suspect this one is a glitch.

@Sirtel. You quoted all Amazon prices in dollars (presumably US dollars) and then converted them to Euro's, always resulting in significantly higher Amazon prices. This to me seems to indicate that, wherever your Amazon account may be, you are buying from a store outside of the EU. Estonia does not yet seem to have its own Amazon store so I suspect you may have an Estonian based account with amazon.com. As you say, Amazon does not encourage "travelling", though I'm not sure how they feel about separate accounts in different countries, or whether it actually breaches their terms of service. I suspect that you are probably better off with your existing setup in most instances, since the EU is hardly noted for its competitive book pricing.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #48
Sirtel
Guru
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post

@Sirtel. You quoted all Amazon prices in dollars (presumably US dollars) and then converted them to Euro's, always resulting in significantly higher Amazon prices. This to me seems to indicate that, wherever your Amazon account may be, you are buying from a store outside of the EU. Estonia does not yet seem to have its own Amazon store so I suspect you may have an Estonian based account with amazon.com.
Yes, that's right. I cannot buy from any other Amazon store without changing my country and I'm leery of doing that. There have been instances of Amazon closing a person's account for "travelling". I could use a VPN, of course, but at this point it's just simpler to buy tradpubs from Google or Kobo. All my books go into Calibre anyway.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote