Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-18-2018, 12:18 AM   #32386
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Is there anyone you know (friend? family member?) who is home in the daytime and could accept a package?

I live in a decent neighborhood and haven't had delivery problems, but once when I wanted to order something more expensive than usual I had it sent to the home of a family member who was retired and would be home in the daytime to accept it.

------

My biggest delivery problem has been the opposite - I was getting repeated deliveries of things I didn't order! They were addressed to someone who has the same street number and first part of the street name, but their street is actually on the other side of town. (The people's name is nothing like mine so that wasn't the issue.) I finally looked up the correct address for those people and taped it to my door with a note telling delivery people not to leave package for Mr. & Mrs. _____ here. It's ugly but it works. Maybe I should get it printed up as an attractive sign or something....
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #32387
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
On the positive side I got awarded $9520 in stocks. Bad news I have to wait 36 months until fully vested to cash it in
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2018, 02:47 PM   #32388
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
My uncle decided to go through with the court case. Today we got his Letter of Grievances.

There's nothing new. All the same lies, half-truths and irrelevant arguments as before. All described in 10 pages and 40 different points. Looking at the language used we think that my uncle dictated/wrote a big part of this letter, if not all.

So now we have six weeks to write a reaction to this thing. We haven't had a reaction yet of our lawyer, who might still be on vacation. Which means it'll be the start of another stressful period. Just as we were starting to have a little bit of hope that we were nearing an agreement. Hopefully our lawyer can get it declared inadmissible on the ground that there was an agreement.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:49 PM   #32389
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

one of my other parakeets died today It was sad
Old 08-21-2018, 06:11 PM   #32390
Blas
Ulica Guy
Blas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo H2O and Motorola XOOM 2(for comics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I'm sorry for that.
I used to have a lot of them and always loved when they would make a nest and put a lof of eggs.
Blas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2018, 06:41 PM   #32391
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Bummer - little parrots can be engaging critters.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:52 PM   #32392
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
My uncle decided to go through with the court case. Today we got his Letter of Grievances.

There's nothing new. All the same lies, half-truths and irrelevant arguments as before. All described in 10 pages and 40 different points. Looking at the language used we think that my uncle dictated/wrote a big part of this letter, if not all.

So now we have six weeks to write a reaction to this thing. We haven't had a reaction yet of our lawyer, who might still be on vacation. Which means it'll be the start of another stressful period. Just as we were starting to have a little bit of hope that we were nearing an agreement. Hopefully our lawyer can get it declared inadmissible on the ground that there was an agreement.
O.M.G.

This is outrageous. Your judge should, by now, brain your uncle. In the US, judges take a very, very dim view of wasting the court's time with this type of BS.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:54 PM   #32393
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
I'm sorry for that.
I used to have a lot of them and always loved when they would make a nest and put a lof of eggs.

She never had babies but she was a doll. She was quiet, happy and only one of my keets that allows me to touch her
Old 08-22-2018, 02:56 AM   #32394
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
O.M.G.

This is outrageous. Your judge should, by now, brain your uncle. In the US, judges take a very, very dim view of wasting the court's time with this type of BS.

Hitch
LOL, he's appealing so he can repeat all the BS. Now we have to spend money, again, to show how big BS it is. That my father did pay rent, that my father didn't get a mortgage with a money shark, etc. The majority of those facts were deemed untrue by previous judges and deemed not relevant to the case (e.g. it's none of my uncle's business how my father got the money, as long as he got the money, which he did).

The problem is that this is yet another judge, though this one has already let known he wants to get it over quickly and doesn't want any delays. Also, this is a special case, since there are no similar cases like this before and judges don't have precedent and don't like to set precedents themselves. Which have resulted in delays when waiting for judges to make a decision.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #32395
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
LOL, he's appealing so he can repeat all the BS. Now we have to spend money, again, to show how big BS it is. That my father did pay rent, that my father didn't get a mortgage with a money shark, etc. The majority of those facts were deemed untrue by previous judges and deemed not relevant to the case (e.g. it's none of my uncle's business how my father got the money, as long as he got the money, which he did).

The problem is that this is yet another judge, though this one has already let known he wants to get it over quickly and doesn't want any delays. Also, this is a special case, since there are no similar cases like this before and judges don't have precedent and don't like to set precedents themselves. Which have resulted in delays when waiting for judges to make a decision.
Unfreakingbelievable, really. I hope that your lawyer does a chronology, for this judge. In my past life, when I spent time in this line of work, giving Judges factual chronologies of events, as exhibits always seems to help them, particularly when you are hashing and rehashing the same stuff over and over, for no good reason, and there have been other rulings that help point him/her in the desired direction.

Well, keep us posted!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:31 PM   #32396
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Unfreakingbelievable, really. I hope that your lawyer does a chronology, for this judge. In my past life, when I spent time in this line of work, giving Judges factual chronologies of events, as exhibits always seems to help them, particularly when you are hashing and rehashing the same stuff over and over, for no good reason, and there have been other rulings that help point him/her in the desired direction.

Well, keep us posted!

Hitch
We've already made a chronology for the previous court case (the one my uncle is now appealing to), so this judge has got it.

One of the things in that letter is that it says a precedent has already been set by another case. A family friend, who studied law, has read that case and says it doesn't apply because there are several important differences in comparison to our case. So we'll have to inform our lawyer of this when she gets back from vacation.

There are a couple of other weird, very un-lawyer-like things in the letter. For instance he writes that you can put anything in an agreement you like. For instance: that what is agreed to is only valid if it rains tomorrow. Yes, he wrote that and it's just plain weird to me. This is to justify my uncle's unreasonable demands in the past. And a couple of other things.

We'll have to wait and see what our lawyer says about it next week.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:38 AM   #32397
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
In this case, it's not about right or wrong any more; it probably isn't about the money even. Your uncle just wants to win the court case, even if he spends every single penny he has (and the inheritance), or even stick himself into debt for 25 or 50K or so, so he can say, at the end: "But I did win." That the win is Pyrrhic victory, doesn't even matter.

I don't think he will quit until one judge or another makes him do so by making a final ruling an declaring the ruling cannot be appealed to. (Somehow; I don't know. I didn't study law.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:37 PM   #32398
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
In this case, it's not about right or wrong any more; it probably isn't about the money even. Your uncle just wants to win the court case, even if he spends every single penny he has (and the inheritance), or even stick himself into debt for 25 or 50K or so, so he can say, at the end: "But I did win." That the win is Pyrrhic victory, doesn't even matter.

I don't think he will quit until one judge or another makes him do so by making a final ruling an declaring the ruling cannot be appealed to. (Somehow; I don't know. I didn't study law.)
You're right that he doesn't want to lose. To illustrate:

Spoiler:
He had a conflict with a gardener, who didn't do the work he was contracted for as my uncle wanted him to, and my uncle refused to pay him the last installment. At one point a statue in my uncle and his girlfriend's front garden was broken. A little while later the girlfriends car was set alight, but my uncle kept refusing to pay. His girlfriend was so scared that she paid off the man. So he broke up with her.

However, he doesn't want to spend any money on it. He's still trying to get my grandmother's estate to pay his lawyer's fees (which my father and aunt keep refusing). It was also obvious that his lawyer didn't prepare for the last meeting at court, our lawyer spend a week reading up on it. And this Letter of Grievances was obviously (mostly) written by my uncle. Unsurprisingly one of his demands in the Letter is that my father pays all his legal costs. We know he hasn't got much money himself

During the first court hearing the judge made everyone have a meeting, in which my uncle literally said that he just doesn't want my father to get the house (in Dutch: "ik gun het mijn broer niet"). We're also fairly certain why he doesn't want my father to have it (mostly jealousy plus hating his parents for not being rich and giving him everything he wanted).

We've heard our lawyer got back from vacation today, so I expect her to give my father a call tomorrow, if not then on Monday.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:47 PM   #32399
HLS
Wizard

:The blue parrot in my Avatar is my parakeet that just died. Her name was " Pretty Little Girl" for I never quite settled on a real name. I loved her so much. She game me 5 years of laughs and smiles
Old 08-24-2018, 06:02 AM   #32400
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
You're right that he doesn't want to lose. To illustrate:

Spoiler:
He had a conflict with a gardener, who didn't do the work he was contracted for as my uncle wanted him to, and my uncle refused to pay him the last installment. At one point a statue in my uncle and his girlfriend's front garden was broken. A little while later the girlfriends car was set alight, but my uncle kept refusing to pay. His girlfriend was so scared that she paid off the man. So he broke up with her.
That sounds remarkably like Stephen King's "Secret Window, Secret Garden" I've just read; a conflict where one of the two parties resorts to violence and terror...
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness