Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-22-2018, 03:29 AM   #1
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Touch hd 2 opinions

Hello,

I've had a kobo h2o original since it launched. I'm generally happy with it, but it's a bit heavy and getting on a bit, so I'd love to buy a new e reader.

I've been reading about the PocketBook Touch HD2 this morning and it really seems like it might be what be what I'm looking for.

I tend to read wearing gloves, so an IR screen is the way to go for me. It has an SD card slot, which Kobo seem to have lost, which would be lovely.

I'm looking for opinions from anyone who owns one, please.

My library is mainly in Calibre in epub format. How well does Calibre integrate with PocketBook?

Does anyone have any experience importing one to the UK?

And any thoughts on covers?

Thank you!

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:15 AM   #2
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
@Liesse

I have the Touch HD, not the 2, so I cannot comment upon any improvements with the HD2.

The good aspects of my Touch are:

The page turning buttons
The SD card capability
The library organisation
Both CoolReader and Koreader can be installed. (I now use Koreader, having I found its stability to have become significantly improved in recent months)
Integration with Calibre is good for me.

The less good aspects:

The native epub reader is rather limited in customisation, especially compared to using Kepubs on the Kobo.
Battery life on mine is certainly less than on my previous Kobo (it seems to use up about 4% in an overnight sleep).

Despite some of its flaws, I have been very happy with it over the last year.

I purchased a £10, non-branded felt cover case from Amazon, which still looks immaculate.

The reader I purchased via the Alza UK website - they source from Germany, I think. No issues at all with the order/delivery process - about 3-4 days tracked process from order to delivery for me.

I hope this helps.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #3
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
It help very much thank you!

A response from someone who owned a kobo who also imported to the UK was what I hoped for.
Thank you very much for your detailed response.

I only read in epub format, so I don't think I would miss any kepub functionality.

As far as I can tell, I would only be losing waterproofing and battery life were I to make the jump. I'd be gaining a lighter reader with functionality which other manufacturers seem to have moved away from. And possibly a better screen and lighting too.

How do you find the build quality please? I lost my Kobo glo to a broken USB port. I'd like a reader which feels solid.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:02 PM   #4
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse View Post
How do you find the build quality please? I lost my Kobo glo to a broken USB port. I'd like a reader which feels solid.
The construction is good. Mine is a year old and has had no build issues at all.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:26 AM   #5
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
I switched my Touch HD (not HD 2) with some guy against Kobo H2O (edition 1). Both are happy

Touch HD has better software. I find no use for Kobo's software, so I'm confined to Koreader on Kobo.

The hardware consists of trade-offs both ways. Touch HD has page turn keys and is significantly lighter. Kobo HD is water resistant and has a bit bigger screen.

Other important points (microSD, frontlight, build quality, whatnot) are pretty much the same. Except that Touch HD [edit:] 2 has a tinted frontlight and Kobo H2O does not have multi-touch (e.g. pinch zoom).

Last edited by mobama; 07-02-2018 at 01:26 AM.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:54 AM   #6
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
The Pocketbook stock software is better and more customizable than Kobo's stock software (when using ePub). Calibre integration is flawless (I use the InkPad 3, but I understand the software is largely identical), and the Pocketbook reader lets you sort and view your library by authors, titles, collections, series, tags, shelves, etc without any special manual configuration. It's very flexible right out of the box. On my Kobo Glo, I never copied my entire Calibre library to the reader, but with the Pocketbook it's fast and there's a competent search function available.

The InkPad 3 doesn't have the battery life issue anymore, but I read somewhere (a German e-reader blog, I believe) that the models prior to the InkPad 3 didn't sleep as "deeply". They do boot up pretty quickly, though, so turning them off when you go to bed is also feasible.

I ordered my reader from Pocketbook's German site, paid with PayPal, and received it the very next morning, so they definitely ship very fast.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:20 AM   #7
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Mivo, can you extract annotations and highlights from the Inkpad3 now?
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote