Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-06-2017, 09:01 AM   #796
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
So my old Kindle Keyboard will be able to download (or I can download for it) my purchases in the KF8 format until such time as KFX is reversed?
For those that care about saving the best format for archival available from Amazon, KF8 is superior to KFX since it is much closer to what the publisher provides to them. Even when KFX is cracked I plan to continue saving KF8 as long as it remains available for older devices. (I also have a Kindle Keyboard just for that purpose.)
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:24 AM   #797
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I just tried using Manage Your Kindle to download a book destined for my Paperwhite 1st generation, which doesn't support the new enhanced fonts, etc. It worked just fine but when I put it in Calibre, all set up with Apprentice Alf, it said the book had DRM and it couldn't read or convert it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
"There is something you need in the settings. Search your devices and plugins carefully, and the key to solving this problem will become clear to you."
-- Phantasmagoria Hint Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
For those that care about saving the best format for archival available from Amazon, KF8 is superior to KFX since it is much closer to what the publisher provides to them. Even when KFX is cracked I plan to continue saving KF8 as long as it remains available for older devices. (I also have a Kindle Keyboard just for that purpose.)
I think I'm not going to sell my old KPW1.

However, if KFX is cracked and reverse engineered at some point, I wouldn't mind converting it into an epub. I'm not hell-bent on archiving anything as original as possible; I just want a good e-book that can be edited by me (if necessary) and will last a year or 60 (possibly through another conversion).

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-06-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #798
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Oh, yes. I realize that. I'll probably keep buying KF8 for the few Amazon purchases that I make, but I don't really care how close KFX might be to what the publisher provided. File-names, class names and the like don't really concern me. I quickly zap everything into my preferred (uncomplicated) formatting (in a KindleUnpack extracted epub) and trash the original anyway. I archive and read in EPUB these days.

I just want the encryption on KFX reversed so I still have a back-up plan. That and the fact that downloading for usb transfer just isn't as convenient as the K4PC Alf route to me. As long as KFX can concievably be converted to EPUB with no loss of general formatting (meaning bold, italics, headers and vertical margins in a typical all-words novel), then I won't be too fussed about it not staying "true" to the publisher-provided original.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-06-2017 at 09:38 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #799
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I downloaded a bunch of books last night and then said the heck with it and stopped. What's annoying is that there are a few books of immediate interest in there, but the files only have those stupid numbers. I'll have to redownload that handful again, so I know I want them by the datestamp.

Bottom line: I don't care enough. Amazon will become another Barnes and Noble, i.e., a place I don't buy ebooks, other than the occasional Whispersync title where I want the cheap audiobook.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:37 AM   #800
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I downloaded a bunch of books last night and then said the heck with it and stopped. What's annoying is that there are a few books of immediate interest in there, but the files only have those stupid numbers. I'll have to redownload that handful again, so I know I want them by the datestamp.

Bottom line: I don't care enough. Amazon will become another Barnes and Noble, i.e., a place I don't buy ebooks, other than the occasional Whispersync title where I want the cheap audiobook.
Alissa's MobiHandler will show you the titles. It still works even with Windows 10.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:37 AM   #801
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Lots of people.
Starting with the ones without internet in the house.
Of course you don't have WiFi if you do not have internet access. My question is how many people have Internet access without WiFi at home (I should have added at home)?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:40 AM   #802
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
For archive purposes, you'd be best to shift KF8 to ePub 9then fix any technical errors) because ePub only requires a program to unZIP. If you didn't have KindleUnpack or Calibre, you'd not be able to get to the source of the KF8.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #803
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Of course you don't have WiFi if you do not have internet access. My question is how many people have Internet access without WiFi at home (I should have added at home)?
This was answered--people who live alone, and only have a desktop computer that is directly connected to their internet modem (cable, dsl, etc) Also people who use dial-up to connect to the internet.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:09 AM   #804
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Alissa's MobiHandler will show you the titles. It still works even with Windows 10.
Thank you!
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #805
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
This was answered--people who live alone, and only have a desktop computer that is directly connected to their internet modem (cable, dsl, etc) Also people who use dial-up to connect to the internet.

Shari
I don't know how it is where you are, or where JSWolf is, but in the Netherlands it's indeed almost impossible these days to have internet, and not have Wifi. Every internet modem provided since the last 10 years or so that I have seen, has Wifi and a router built in.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:14 AM   #806
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For archive purposes, you'd be best to shift KF8 to ePub (then fix any technical errors) because ePub only requires a program to unZIP. If you didn't have KindleUnpack or Calibre, you'd not be able to get to the source of the KF8.
I most likely will never need to access those archived books and so I do as little as possible up front while making sure that I have working copies of the proper software to format shift in the future if the need arises.

I am happy in the Amazon ecosystem for now. I am just making sure that I have an escape plan for my books just in case.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:20 AM   #807
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I most likely will never need to access those archived books and so I do as little as possible up front while making sure that I have working copies of the proper software to format shift in the future if the need arises.
Remember to keep an operating system and maye even a computer handy on which that software will actually run in 2061
Old 01-06-2017, 10:21 AM   #808
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I don't know how it is where you are, or where JSWolf is, but in the Netherlands it's indeed almost impossible these days to have internet, and not have Wifi. Every internet modem provided since the last 10 years or so that I have seen, has Wifi and a router built in.
Which is why my previous post mentioned the bit in bold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
People who live alone that have had cable for a while and have no reason to update, a few coworkers and my sister among them.
I think when my sister moves in the near future she'll have WiFi and when her daughters visit they won't have to use their data anymore.

I'm not sure how many devices we have connected via WiFi in the house these days - with smart phones, multiple tablets, eReaders, one Echo two Taps, several smart plugs...
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:11 AM   #809
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Bottom line: I don't care enough. Amazon will become another Barnes and Noble, i.e., a place I don't buy ebooks
My thoughts, too. Amazon seem to be telling me they don't want my ebook money. If I can't find a way to archive the book in an open format, I don't want it at all. Thank goodness for my huge TBR stockpile!

I've never owned or wanted a Kindle and I'm certainly not going to buy someone else's ancient cast-off Kindle as a leaky life-raft option just for the "privilege" of being allowed to shop in the Kindle store for an extra few weeks/months/years. If they soon won't want my money I might as well stop giving it to them as of right now.

And no, I don't expect them to lose any sleep over this, far too many other customers who don't care about archiving or being walled in.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:14 AM   #810
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Remember to keep an operating system and maye even a computer handy on which that software will actually run in 2061
2061? Pshaw: "Google, decrypt this file." Done.

ApK is offline   Reply With Quote