Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-26-2021, 05:10 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
PRS-Plus archive with Sony firmware

Just found this...

https://code.google.com/archive/p/pr...wnloads?page=5

I don't think it was there before.

I might go here and download the firmware for the various Sony Readers before this link disappears.

EDIT: Looks like there are only firmware updaters for the PRS-350, PRS-650 and PRS-950, but at least that's something. I'm guessing these are U.S. firmware releases?

Last edited by rcentros; 07-26-2021 at 05:20 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:01 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Personally, I suggest forgoing PRS-Plus and the Sony Reader in favor of a Kobo Libra or Kobo Forma.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:17 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Personally, I suggest forgoing PRS-Plus and the Sony Reader in favor of a Kobo Libra or Kobo Forma.
Yes, I know. Personally I don't like the shape or LED placement of the Libra, the Forma (or the Oasis). And I like the size and weight of 6" readers (though I do like the Aura HD, 6.8" reader — would be more interested in the Libra if it was traditionally shaped like this one). My main eReader is a Pocketbook HD3 now, though, and it's pretty much exactly what I want.

But if you're going to use a Sony reader, it's nice to be able to upgrade to the newest releases. I, personally, tried PRS-Plus and decided I liked the built-in software better (but I think that was on PRS-600, not the x50 series).
Old 07-26-2021, 07:09 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Sometimes you just want to fiddle with an old reader you already have. It doesn't have to end up as good as anything else, it just needs to be a little better than it was.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:11 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Sometimes you just want to fiddle with an old reader you already have. It doesn't have to end up as good as anything else, it just needs to be a little better than it was.
Yep. And in good light Sony readers are really nice and light. I've done quite a bit of reading on Sonys (mostly on a T2).
Old 07-27-2021, 11:15 AM   #6
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
JSWolf seems to feel it's his personal mission to come in here and tell people to buy new ereaders. It seems pretty obvious to me that people posting here KNOW there are new ereaders available, they either enjoy tinkering with old devices or just want to take one last shot at fixing up an old one before giving up and replacing it.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:34 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
JSWolf seems to feel it's his personal mission to come in here and tell people to buy new ereaders. It seems pretty obvious to me that people posting here KNOW there are new ereaders available, they either enjoy tinkering with old devices or just want to take one last shot at fixing up an old one before giving up and replacing it.
I'm not running down Kobos, but I have to wonder how JSWolf would feel if I kept posting in the Kobo forum reasons why I think a PocketBook is superior to a Kobo. And I do think, for what I need in a reader, that PocketBooks are superior to the Kobos. Using Linux and not having access to ADE is a big part of why I like PocketBooks (and Tolinos) over Kobos but the same reasons wouldn't apply to Windows users — so they would judge on a whole different criteria.

Choice is good.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:04 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I like my Kobo Libra, Likebook Mars and Sony PRS350 for different reasons.
Not fussed on my PW3, KK3 and especially hate the DXG I have.

Choice IS good.

Certainly I recommend a Libra to anyone with no ereader, especially if they want good support for collections, series, and export annotations. Though the Collections work on PRS350 with Calibre. Newer Kindles are terrible on collections, series and margins.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:10 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I think maybe this was posted before. I did download some, but as my PRS350 works I've left it as is.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:13 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I think maybe this was posted before. I did download some, but as my PRS350 works I've left it as is.
It may have been posted before, but this is the first time I found the link. Why it came up is that someone sent a private post a couple days ago requesting the PRS-950 firmware (which I do have on my Google Drive).