Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-19-2021, 09:12 PM   #1
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
New Kobo Elipsa ereader

On 2021-May-20, Kobo is launching the new Kobo Elispa ereader. It will have a 10.3" eInk screen and comes in a pack with the cover and a 2 button stylus.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:57 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
On 2021-May-20, Kobo is launching the new Kobo Elispa ereader. It will have a 10.3" eInk screen and comes in a pack with the cover and a 2 button stylus.
So, will amazon (still no 8" e-ink) respond, or continue to spend time on things like changing "GO TO" to "Go To"?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:06 AM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
So, will amazon (still no 8" e-ink) respond, or continue to spend time on things like changing "GO TO" to "Go To"?
My first e-reader was the Kindle Touch. I lost interest in it and had trouble reading on it (not realizing that I needed reading glasses). Then a decade or more later I retired and bought a Oasis. Imagine my amazement when I saw that the Oasis user interface was the same as the Touch. It still amazes me, especially now that I have a Kobo Forma and see all the things that they could have done.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:27 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
The Elipsa isn't for me, but I can certainly see a market there for students, scientists, readers of technical documents etc who are looking for an e-ink device. Especially since the markup works on (non-DRM) PDFs.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:36 AM   #5
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
The Elipsa isn't for me, but I can certainly see a market there for students, scientists, readers of technical documents etc who are looking for an e-ink device. Especially since the markup works on (non-DRM) PDFs.
This has long been available from Boox and Likebook devices with much better features.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:28 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
This has long been available from Boox and Likebook devices with much better features.
I'm aware there are other brands. (The Boox, for example, is at least $100 more expensive than the starting Elipsa price in my country; I can't find vendors for the Boyue at all.)

Last edited by meeera; 05-20-2021 at 03:31 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:32 AM   #7
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Ahh I just purchased a Libra for my birthday, It'll give me time to see how all the early adopters like the Elipsa Reader later on.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:03 AM   #8
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I do agree. I am just someone who reads books. When I used printed (on paper) books, I didn't underline and circle stuff.

That having been said, I'm looking forward to receiving my new Kobo this coming week. I've wanted landscape mode and physical page buttons for a while.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:32 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
So? Amazon has been doing Readers longer then Kobo and Kobo is doing it better.

Maybe the Elipsa is better then these others.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:55 AM   #10
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Maybe the Elipsa is better then these others.
This device is 100% sure to do much less than my Likebook Alita at nearly the same price.
My opinion about Kobo is bad - I have had lousy experiences with their devices.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 05-20-2021 at 05:01 AM.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:03 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This device is 100% sure to do much less than my Likebook Alita at nearly the same price.
My opinion about Kobo is bad - I have had lousy experiences with their devices.
User error.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:13 AM   #12
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
IMHO Amazon has done a great job of setting good standards for ereaders and locking their users into their eco-system. They don't need to have the best and latest features because Johnny Appleseed doesn't know how to convert their books for other readers.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:22 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
IMHO Amazon has done a great job of setting good standards for ereaders and locking their users into their eco-system. They don't need to have the best and latest features because Johnny Appleseed doesn't know how to convert their books for other readers.
Standards? Not on your life. Amazon does their own thing. Amazon is playing catch up to Kobo and not doing all that well. B&N are really out of the game.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:33 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

This is from GoodEReader. So take it as you will.

Old 05-20-2021, 06:41 AM   #15
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
People can't walk into Best Buy and buy a Boox or Likebook though. The Kobo Elipsa will probably be sold at retail outlets and will let people try before they buy. And if they buy online they don't have to have shipped all the way from China or send it back there if they need to return or have a warranty problem.

While Boox and Likebook are more powerful and have more features they are also more complex. I don't think my mom would get it and would be confused by stuff like the automatic app whitening which is more of hinderence than a help to be honest, the different modes, having to fiddle with refresh settings etc. This Kobo will be simple and easy to use.

Plus it will just be way better at reading ePubs out of the box. I've only tried the Boox side but Neoreader is still way way far behind Kobo's. I also haven't found an app on Android that supports ePub features as well as Kobo does, works well on eInk and has a good UI. Not to mention you can't use the pen for markup in an ePub outside Neoreader anyways.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote