Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-14-2013, 01:17 AM   #181
DennisH
DennisH put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.DennisH put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.DennisH put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.DennisH put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.DennisH put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.DennisH put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.DennisH put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.DennisH put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.DennisH put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.DennisH put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.DennisH put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: K4NT, PW2
ebina1, and others who have opened a PW2,

My PW2 should arrive in the next day or so and I am keen to jailbreak it.

After viewing all the excellent pictures it seems to me that it should be possible to drill 2 (or 3 if necessary for an earth) 0.5mm or so holes in the back of the case directly above the terminal points to insert some wire probes or pins just long enough to load the jailbreak. Alternatively, a single 5mm or 6mm hole (which could be later filled with a solid grommet of some sort) would provide access to both terminals. I assume there will be an earth somewhere on the usb plug so only the tx and rx should need to be probed.

The success of such an arrangement would obviously depend on the accuracy of the hole(s) location. Firstly, I would be interested in any comments you may have re feasibility, and, secondly, if you would be able to provide some measurements or a template of how/where to locate the holes(s).

Also, did you use the PW1 jailbreak or some other jailbreak.

Thanks
DennisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #182
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisH View Post

After viewing all the excellent pictures it seems to me that it should be possible to drill 2 (or 3 if necessary for an earth) 0.5mm or so holes in the back of the case directly above the terminal points to insert some wire probes or pins just long enough to load the jailbreak. Alternatively, a single 5mm or 6mm hole (which could be later filled with a solid grommet of some sort) would provide access to both terminals. I assume there will be an earth somewhere on the usb plug so only the tx and rx should need to be probed.

The success of such an arrangement would obviously depend on the accuracy of the hole(s) location. Firstly, I would be interested in any comments you may have re feasibility, and, secondly, if you would be able to provide some measurements or a template of how/where to locate the holes(s).

Thanks
The pad locations on the board are extremely precise.

The board's location within the case, not so much.
So you don't have a good, external, reference from which to measure.

The "Jail break" is a series of commands that the user types into the serial console port.

You will not find the sequence of commands published here - we have stopped giving lab126 lessons on the things they missed.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #183
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, FireHD6 Gen4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisH View Post

Thanks
Your idea got me to rewatch the PW2 dismantling video (link below) which indeed shows that the 3 serial connections on the board (in the rectangle named P800 SERIAL DEBUG) appear to be located just under the back cover. Now instead of drilling 3 holes which would require such extreme location precision why not just make a small opening in the cover to access this area, like an X-Acto cut rectangle which could be put back in place once the JB was done.

[Added Later] Having said all that, can anybody recommend a good "spudger"? I'm not afraid to dismantle the PW, only reason I'm reluctant is my fear of damaging the part of the case that would show even when covered.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=222229&page=8

Last edited by nypaulie; 11-14-2013 at 04:36 PM.
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #184
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
got a credit card and a pair of scissors?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #185
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, FireHD6 Gen4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
got a credit card and a pair of scissors?
Sure, the one I use to unlock doors. Sounds appropriate to JailBreak with!!! Thanks for the tip.
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #186
pkar
pkar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013 (KPW2)
Maybe we could find something nice (usable) in debug_cmds file?

Could someone with access to whole KPW2 filesystem check - is there something new, not mentioned in
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...hite_Shortcuts
pkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #187
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
@pkar, nothing fancy there IIRC. Most "useful" commands are purposed for non-gm build.

Last edited by seaniko7; 11-15-2013 at 07:45 AM.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #188
ladykayaker
Enthusiast
ladykayaker never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.ladykayaker never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.ladykayaker never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.ladykayaker never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.ladykayaker never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.ladykayaker never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.ladykayaker never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.ladykayaker never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.ladykayaker never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.ladykayaker never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.ladykayaker never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G | Nook Glowworm
I am watching this with interest. I am going to get either the new nook with glowlight (not yet rooted) or the new kindle paperwhite as a gift for my husband. Depending on which one is jailbroken / rooted first will determine my choice.
ladykayaker is offline   Reply With Quote