Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
Enesco
Enesco began at the beginning.

Device: ipad Kobo H2O
Sigil Toc editor

I have a problem with TOC in Sigil

How can I add a TOC to an existing epub file??

I read about the TOC editor, and how to use it, but I can't find
anywhere how to include the generated TOC in the epub file.

Regards

Enesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enesco View Post
I have a problem with TOC in Sigil

How can I add a TOC to an existing epub file??

I read about the TOC editor, and how to use it, but I can't find
anywhere how to include the generated TOC in the epub file.

Regards

H1, H2, H3 styled text are auto-magically turned into nested TOC entries.
(if you use one of those tags just to style the text, un-tic the box next to that line in the TOC editor and Sigil will code it not to be used.
Note: any changes you make in the TOC editor text, will appear in your document.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
Enesco
Enesco began at the beginning.

Device: ipad Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
H1, H2, H3 styled text are auto-magically turned into nested TOC entries.
(if you use one of those tags just to style the text, un-tic the box next to that line in the TOC editor and Sigil will code it not to be used.
Note: any changes you make in the TOC editor text, will appear in your document.
Thanks!

It just does that... I was expecting a "table of contents" after the titlepage
with hyperlinks... and could not find that.

Kind regards!
Enesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enesco View Post
Thanks!

It just does that... I was expecting a "table of contents" after the titlepage
with hyperlinks... and could not find that.

Kind regards!
That is an "Inline TOC",
which is not needed on many ePub readers that have a separate pane or button to call up the "Catalog/TOC" ADE,EPUBReader all use the TOC generated by Sigil
Old 09-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
sjkramer
Connoisseur
sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone
But as far as I know, Kindle does not use the inline toc and it is recommended that you draw up an actual contents "page." So you might want to consider doing that if you plan to submit to the Kindle store.
sjkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkramer View Post
But as far as I know, Kindle does not use the inline toc and it is recommended that you draw up an actual contents "page." So you might want to consider doing that if you plan to submit to the Kindle store.
Kindle does not support ePUB at all anyway.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #7
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
As of a month or so ago, we were told that that that had changed. But evidently the results aren't very good.
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
ksng
ksng began at the beginning.

Device: stanza
Does anybody know how to hide the TOC from appearing on the first few pages of epub file? I tried to convert a Word Doc that contains a TOC to an ePUB file and the TOC text appear on the first few pages in eReader. Is there a way we can hide it so that TOC only appear in the eReader menu?
ksng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksng View Post
Does anybody know how to hide the TOC from appearing on the first few pages of epub file? I tried to convert a Word Doc that contains a TOC to an ePUB file and the TOC text appear on the first few pages in eReader. Is there a way we can hide it so that TOC only appear in the eReader menu?
Drag it to the end of the list of sections, then save. (Be careful, you can mess the play order up if you drag the wrong stuff)

The inline TOC is not needed in a EPUB compliant reader (Sigil's TOC generates that one), There are some lame readers out there that the inline is the only way.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #10
ksng
ksng began at the beginning.

Device: stanza
Sorry, I'm new to this. May I know what do you mean by drag it to the end of the list sections? I can do this in Sigil?
ksng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksng View Post
Sorry, I'm new to this. May I know what do you mean by drag it to the end of the list sections? I can do this in Sigil?
Yes

Grab the TOC (line) item in the book browser and move it to the bottom of the SAME (text) section . Save, it is now at the end of the book Sigil adjusts the order in the underlying (NCX) control file for that book.
You can also rename those line items to be more meaningful (to you).
Sigil will adjust all the references so nothing breaks

I believe, the one exception to the fix rule, is when you "Delete an image or section". Sigil has no clue what should happen and you just created an orphan
Old 09-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #12
sjkramer
Connoisseur
sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
While the Kindle store does not support ePUB, they do accept ePUB files, which they convert themselves (at least they do for the large distributor who handles our books, I don't know if this is true for all types of accounts with them) to Kindle-compliant files. It is also quite easy to convert the an ePUB to a Kindle file yourself, using Amazon's KindleGen tool—as long as you keep in mind their particular requirements.

I misspoke earlier when I said that Kindle required an inline TOC. I was getting my terms confused! They require an actual page of TOC, as you would see in a book similar to what the earlier poster wanted to see.
sjkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:14 AM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkramer View Post
While the Kindle store does not support ePUB, they do accept ePUB files, which they convert themselves (at least they do for the large distributor who handles our books, I don't know if this is true for all types of accounts with them) to Kindle-compliant files. It is also quite easy to convert the an ePUB to a Kindle file yourself, using Amazon's KindleGen tool—as long as you keep in mind their particular requirements.

I misspoke earlier when I said that Kindle required an inline TOC. I was getting my terms confused! They require an actual page of TOC, as you would see in a book similar to what the earlier poster wanted to see.
Just to clarify: they (Amazon) simply want an active TOC like Sigil will create if you use header tags.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:40 PM   #14
benjaminsolah
Marxist Horror Writer
benjaminsolah began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch PRS-650
So is it really just as easy as wrapping your titles with <h2> tags? And everything else is done for you?
benjaminsolah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:01 PM   #15
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminsolah View Post
So is it really just as easy as wrapping your titles with <h2> tags? And everything else is done for you?
Yep. Try it, you'll like it!
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote