Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
edlauzon
edlauzon will become famous soon enoughedlauzon will become famous soon enoughedlauzon will become famous soon enoughedlauzon will become famous soon enoughedlauzon will become famous soon enoughedlauzon will become famous soon enough

Device: kobo
Garbled screen

I've had my prs-600 since Christmas. When turning it on last night, I got a garbled screen. It was a pile of horizontal and vertical lines along with an infh-high triangle on the bottom third. This triangle would flash from light to dark when I turned the machine on repeatedly.

I've triend charging overnight with a wall charger, multiple soft resets, and hard resets.

When I turn it on after each soft reset, I sell the yellow light flashing for about 5 seconds. I still have a garbled screen, and don't get any of the log on messages, such as "opening book".

Please help.
edlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Can you post a photo of the screen?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It sounds like a broken screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
edlauzon
edlauzon will become famous soon enoughedlauzon will become famous soon enoughedlauzon will become famous soon enoughedlauzon will become famous soon enoughedlauzon will become famous soon enoughedlauzon will become famous soon enough

photo of screen

I've scanned the screen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img001.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	54693  
Old 07-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sorry to say, that is a broken subsrate. Your screen is broken.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As Jon says, that's a classic picture of a broken substrate; the thin layer of glass that's under the outer plastic screen has physically broken. Normally cause by a knock, or by twisting the device. This is not a warranty repair, I'm afraid.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
edlauzon

options

Will Sony repair it, even if it is out of warranty? About how much would it cost?

May be a good excuse to switch to Kobo
Old 07-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #8
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Yes.

More than replacing the reader.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #9
ebioman
Enthusiast
ebioman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi
It does look exactly like my broken screen. I already had a conversation with Sony whether to repair it or not. Guess what, repairing becomes much more expensive than buying a new one - sorry
ebioman is offline   Reply With Quote