Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
reuben
reuben began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iPad
Post My MOBI eBook Does not open at the first page

Hi,
I just converted an e-book to MOBI from an ePub format..The MOBI just looks fine when viewed with Mobipocket Reader but when I open it with Amazon's Kindle Previewer it always opens at a certain page of the e-book..I know that when we view the MOBI in Mobipocket Reader it creates a .mbp file. I think this .mbp file is where the last page read is saved. So I deleted it just to make sure that it is not the one causing the e-book to open at that certain page but there's no difference..It just really opens at that page as if it is the first page of the e-book..Is there something I am missing?Do I need to set something in the OPF file of the ePub before converting it to MOBI?

I appreciate whatever you can suggest..

Last edited by reuben; 06-28-2010 at 09:27 AM.
reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It might be that a "start" guide item is being added somehow, see here

If that's the case, maybe there is some anchor named "start", and you can just rename it...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If it is a start guide item (which is very likely), you should get the same effect in Windows MobiPocket Reader. See the attached screenshot for an example with a startup page, which shows up in the contents list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WMR_startup.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	54249  
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
reuben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
It might be that a "start" guide item is being added somehow, see here

If that's the case, maybe there is some anchor named "start", and you can just rename it...
Hi Jellby,
I didn't use an anchor named "start". Also, I didn't add a "start" guide item in my OPF file. It seems that there is something causing it rather.
Thank you very much anyway..
Old 06-28-2010, 11:17 PM   #5
reuben

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If it is a start guide item (which is very likely), you should get the same effect in Windows MobiPocket Reader. See the attached screenshot for an example with a startup page, which shows up in the contents list.
Hi wallcraft,
Yes, I agree that it should have the same effect on both kindle reading softwares but the Kindle Previewer does not open it at the first page..I'm just curious why it doesn't go to my first page since I didn't use "start" guide item in my OPF..hmmm..why oh why?

Anyway, thank you for your samples..
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
TWiTCommander
TWiTCommander began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
open the mobi file in kindle_previewer and press command_r on the mac (control+r in windows?:S). should take you to the cover.
TWiTCommander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, kindle previewer, mobi, mobipocket reader, opf