Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #16
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
This might be slightly off topic to the original file folder question...

You might guess by my screen name that photos (or fotos ) are important to me. I tend to be very particular about sizing and converting photos to best fit the screen sze of the device in question,

I use Adobe Lightroom for all my work and it's very easy there to use a crop ratio of 1024X768 for anything I want to send to the iPad. I don't batch this part because I want to control the crop exactly but it could be batched if you don't care or even not cropped to fit if you don't care about that either.

I then use an export script (that takes about 10 seconds to create the first time) that resizes to a maximum long dimention of 1024 pixels, sharpens for LCD screen display and autosaves it to my "iPad export" diretory. I can select and batch just as many photos as I want here. Then I just walk away and it does its thing.

Meanwhile, back in the iPad sync menu, I just select that directory for photo syncing and it's done. I do the same for my iPhone except I point it to my "iPhone export" directory where much smaller files that were batched there using a similar script are waiting to be synced.

Of course if you want to be more organized (I don't bother,) you can have multiple folders for syncing named "Family", "Easter 2010," etc. and you can just clone the Lightroom script and change it to save to different directories that will appear separate on the iPad... but yeah, no directory nesting allowed.

Last edited by Fotoman; 04-22-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #17
Clif_Hamel
Clif_Hamel began at the beginning.

Device: prs500
Thank you all for the feedback. I've done somemore searching, testing on the iPad and will sumarize :
A) iPad will download more than one folder deep (I did not get enough data first).
All folders below the top folder will be 'mixed' with the top folder pictures.
B) There is no known way at this time to sync picture folders as you would in a PC.
C) By doing some funky stuff with picture creation dates and names you could get pictures in one folder to be ordered the way you want. For ten pictures maybe worth it, for 1000's forget it.
In summary, the iPad is much better than my PRS-500 for eBooks, pretty good for a lot of other things but is totally useless as a means of showing my photos which was one of the main reasons I bought it. I'm not hitting on Apple users here, but there are a lot of people out there using Windows and it's a shame that Apple (iPad) didn't take that into account.
Clif_Hamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2010, 12:26 AM   #18
wayner
Connoisseur
wayner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 in Canada, iPad wifi only
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
In any case, like I said I'm in no rush. I can wait 2 or 3 years. Or I could go the rest of my life with no tablet. If one fits my VERY specific needs/wants I'll buy one. If not I won't.
In 2-3 years I expect to be on at least my second iPad (or a reasonable facsimile). The more I use my iPad the more that I love it - this is the best electronical gadget that I have purchased since I got my iPod. I find the device hard to put down - that is when my 8 year old doesn't commandeer it away from me.
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #19
andykeating
andykeating began at the beginning.

Device: none
Check out "Photo folder" app.It allows you to create folders,sub folders for easy drag ‘n’ drop photo organization also you can filter photos based on keywords etc..Hope this helps
andykeating is offline   Reply With Quote