Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-18-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher
cyberbaffled began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Reader Works by Overdrive

Anyone have experience converting Word .doc files to .lit format using Overdrive's Reader Works? I have a book that converts to .lit format using the ereader icon in MS Word but won't convert using Overdrive's Reader Works which supposedly was developed with Microsoft for this purpose. Supposedly, with Reader Works I can create a TOC and also metadata, which the immediate conversion from Word using the icon does not enable. I've communicated with Overdrive support exhaustively about this, and they remain clueless.
cyberbaffled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbaffled View Post
Anyone have experience converting Word .doc files to .lit format using Overdrive's Reader Works?
I use ReaderWorks to convert all of my novels to Lit from Word. I use a free version, which does not permit you to add a cover to the build... however, if there is a cover already in the file, it will display. I also include TOC and metadata in each conversion. If your system isn't allowing you to do this, there might be something in the way the Word file is set up, or the app itself might be corrupt.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher
cyberbaffled began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Yes, adding a TOC and metadata is the reason I wish to use ReaderWorks, however when I attempt to build a .lit file with ReaderWorks it always terminates with the error message "Unable to prepare ebook source files (error 14....". And like I wrote, Overdrive can't determine the source of the problem.
cyberbaffled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you use the standalone app, or the Word built-in app? I use the standalone app and import the doc into the app.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I use ReaderWorks to convert all of my novels to Lit from Word. I use a free version, which does not permit you to add a cover to the build... however, if there is a cover already in the file, it will display. I also include TOC and metadata in each conversion. If your system isn't allowing you to do this, there might be something in the way the Word file is set up, or the app itself might be corrupt.
An easier way to do it actually is to forget ReaderWorks and use Calibre. Once you have a well made ePub, Calibre will do a good job converting to MS Reader from there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
An easier way to do it actually is to forget ReaderWorks and use Calibre. Once you have a well made ePub, Calibre will do a good job converting to MS Reader from there.
Jon, not that suggestions aren't helpful, but... cyberbaffled is asking for assistance using Readerworks, not suggestions for replacing it...

(but keep it in mind, anyway)
Old 03-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The RW "add in" for Word was never intended for being more than a "quick and dirty" way of converting Word docs into LIT. You may perhaps be expecting too much from it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:54 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The RW "add in" for Word was never intended for being more than a "quick and dirty" way of converting Word docs into LIT. You may perhaps be expecting too much from it.
I agree... I tried the built-in app once, and it just locked up Word. Go with the standalone app, for better results.