Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
Spirity
Follow Your Bliss!
Spirity doesn't litterSpirity doesn't litter

Device: Dreaming of a HP TouchSmart tm2!
A new Asus netbook similar to the T91MT

I have just read that Asus is going to be releasing a new netbook similar to the T91MT in March. - 1.66 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, with 2GB memory, 320GB hard drive.

It will have a 10.1 sized tablet screen. It will also have an Intel Atom N450 Pine Trail processor rather than the slower Intel Atom Z520 used in the 9 inch Eee PC T91MT touchscreen tablet or the Intel Atom N270 CPU found in most other Eee PC models.

It will be $599, battery life of 6.5 hours, and weighs about 3.5 pounds.

Here is a link to a video demo from the CES2010 show:

http://neuronspark.com/videos/asus-t-101mt/

it might be too hefty for some, but I was thinking it would be a great tablet/ereader for some of my bigger pdfs.......... and for magazines...

Makes me wonder if the T91MT will come down in price once this is released?
Spirity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
This is the one I'm waiting for as my big-screen ereader, seeing as it was originally anounced over a year ago, it's been a long time coming.

Hopefully the T91MT will reduce in price, because if this turns out to be a lemon, I know that the T91 is a good ereader.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
Spirity
Follow Your Bliss!

Exactly why I was considering waiting for this ghostyjack I'd like a big e-reader! and this would do everything for me.

Especially since you can rotate the pages with just a button on the tablet, and change the brightness etc.......and stow away the keyboard with a flip.

I love the idea!

Wishing they were in the stores to compare to each other. I got so impatient, I looked up the dimensions of both, and plotted it out on paper to compare the sizes of the units and the screens.

I liked both - so it's really down to the price and the Pine Trail processor, I think.
I go back and forth over the solid state versus having 250GB storage onboard....

I'll just have to be patient and see what happens in the next month! lol
Old 02-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirity View Post
Exactly why I was considering waiting for this ghostyjack I'd like a big e-reader! and this would do everything for me.

Especially since you can rotate the pages with just a button on the tablet, and change the brightness etc.......and stow away the keyboard with a flip.

I love the idea!

Wishing they were in the stores to compare to each other. I got so impatient, I looked up the dimensions of both, and plotted it out on paper to compare the sizes of the units and the screens.

I liked both - so it's really down to the price and the Pine Trail processor, I think.
I go back and forth over the solid state versus having 250GB storage onboard....

I'll just have to be patient and see what happens in the next month! lol
If you're looking for something for full size PDF's this is going to be really nice for you! I got lucky - we have a Tiger Direct/CompUSA warehouse about an hour and a half from where I live. They have a retail outlet attached, and if you want to see something that isn't on the retail floor, they'll get it out of the warehouse for you.
I too went back and forth over the SSD vs. the 250 gigs storage, (we were looking at a Gigabyte 1028T as well as the Asus), but finally decided that since I was going to use mine mainly as a reader, and it has two SDHC slots, I'd continue to put my books on SDHC cards and store them that way for ultimate portability (and easy backups). So far I haven't regretted that in the least.

I need a different case for my Asus T91MT, though. The one it comes with is pretty flimsy and if I'm going to take it out this spring, I need something sturdier.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
Spirity
Follow Your Bliss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I need a different case for my Asus T91MT, though. The one it comes with is pretty flimsy and if I'm going to take it out this spring, I need something sturdier.
Hi Shel,
I linked in another thread a leather book cover type carrying case for the T91MT- don't know if you saw that- here's the link.

I'm willing to wait until "March" for the T101MT, but if that release date starts to slide, then I'll go ahead and buy the T91MT like you have. I'm really excited! lol
Advert
Old 02-24-2010, 01:32 AM   #6
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi Shel,
I linked in another thread a leather book cover type carrying case for the T91MT- don't know if you saw that- here's the link.

I'm willing to wait until "March" for the T101MT, but if that release date starts to slide, then I'll go ahead and buy the T91MT like you have. I'm really excited! lol
I saw that, but the review under the link suggested that the item was mislabeled and is intended for a bigger device. That book cover type is exactly what I'm looking for, though.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
Spirity
Follow Your Bliss!

Hi Shel,
I'm now on a search for book covers! lol I saw a beautiful one for the Kindle DX and had wondered if it could be adapted, but since the tablet has more thickness, it probably wouldn't work.

I have a feeling that I'll end up getting crafty and make a cover of some sort, if I can't find what I'm looking for

In researching the Asus T101MT, I also came upon a little piece of information that I hadn't read before:

from the EEE PC blog

"Asus' tablet netbook, the T101MT, is the first netbook to have an SDXC card. An SDXC card, is the next generation of SD card. The storage capacity is much higher, an outstanding 2TB. Obviously these cards are very expensive but, any device that supports these SDXC cards, will effectively, to most people anyway, mean unlimited storage."

I think that's incredible!
Old 02-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Hi Shel,
I'm now on a search for book covers! lol I saw a beautiful one for the Kindle DX and had wondered if it could be adapted, but since the tablet has more thickness, it probably wouldn't work.

I have a feeling that I'll end up getting crafty and make a cover of some sort, if I can't find what I'm looking for

In researching the Asus T101MT, I also came upon a little piece of information that I hadn't read before:

from the EEE PC blog

"Asus' tablet netbook, the T101MT, is the first netbook to have an SDXC card. An SDXC card, is the next generation of SD card. The storage capacity is much higher, an outstanding 2TB. Obviously these cards are very expensive but, any device that supports these SDXC cards, will effectively, to most people anyway, mean unlimited storage."

I think that's incredible!
You're right, that IS incredible!

If you end up making a cover, you have to show pictures! I wish those beautiful Oberon covers for Kindles would work....or that Oberon would get into making covers for netbooks. But they'd be expensive.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #9
Spirity
Follow Your Bliss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
You're right, that IS incredible!

If you end up making a cover, you have to show pictures! I wish those beautiful Oberon covers for Kindles would work....or that Oberon would get into making covers for netbooks. But they'd be expensive.
Oh my God! those are GORGEOUS!!! something on that site has got to work! I'm going to go through it tonight and see what I come up with. I started salivating!! lol
Old 02-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
Spirity
Follow Your Bliss!

Oh, I just saw the prices....whew! but they are a work of art in themselves, aren't they?
Old 02-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #11
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Oh my God! those are GORGEOUS!!! something on that site has got to work! I'm going to go through it tonight and see what I come up with. I started salivating!! lol
Quote:
Oh, I just saw the prices....whew! but they are a work of art in themselves, aren't they?
Aren't they beautiful? And yes, they are definitely works of art. I looked through it myself but didn't find anything I thought would work - the netbooks are going to be too thick. And they don't do custom work .
Old 03-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #12
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
Here's a new video of the release version of the T101mt.

http://www.netbooklive.net/asus-t101...k-review-2745/
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:58 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by krighton View Post
Here's a new video of the release version of the T101mt.

http://www.netbooklive.net/asus-t101...k-review-2745/
Wow that's slow... but I guess for reading documents and such it would be ok. What is the weight of this compared to something like the eDGe?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #14
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
the reviewer probably didn't optimize it for speed..you have to stop all the garbage from loading up, removing trial ware, etc to make it run faster....also a memory bump wouldn't hurt. Though he does mention youtube videos don't play well because of the way flash works with the CPU...though the apple trailer does look nice. Still better than a b/w ereader overall (imo).

Last edited by krighton; 03-16-2010 at 08:30 AM.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #15
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
I just don't understand why Asus chose to use such a low end GPU in the T101MT. The T91MT can play HD videos just fine and has Flash acceleration where the larger, newer device struggles with both.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote