Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-18-2009, 05:20 AM   #1
Jenny123
Jenny123 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Error Message - Help please....

My 505 reader had some issues recently and I resorted to a hard re-set. The reader now seems to be OK, but when I connect to the ebook Library via USB I get an error message whih reads;

Warning. Unabe to locate the file. This item has been moved, renamed or deleted.

Then Windows automatically opens up a Removable Disk E window, showing 3 folders; database, Digital Editions and tmp.

Does anyone know what I have to do to make the ebook library reognise my reader again?

Thanks

Jenny
Jenny123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
I'm not very technically minded, so not sure if this will help. The following information is copied from the Sony UK website.

http://support.sony-europe.com/dna/faq/faq.aspx?site='&m=PRS-505&f=PA_PRS

1.Verify that the Reader is turned on.
2.Verify that the Reader battery has an adequate charge.
3.Verify that the USB cable is properly and securely connected to the Reader and the computer.
The USB cable should be connected directly to the computer. Connecting the Reader using a USB hub or extension cable is not supported.
4.Verify that the Reader displays the USB connection indicator.
5.Disconnect the Reader from the computer, close the Reader software and restart the computer.
6.With the Reader disconnected from the computer, perfom a hard reset.
7.With the Reader connected to the computer, uninstall and reinstall the Sony Reader USB driver.
8.Install the Reader software on a different computer and connect the Reader.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
The reader is showing up as a removable disk, which is perfectly normal and proof that it works.
You should try reinstalling the Sony software, after deinstalling it totally.

David.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:27 AM   #4
Jenny123

Problems removing the Sony software

Thanks David & Curly.

I also think I need to re-install the Sony software in order to progress with this, however, I'm having some problems de-installing it properly.

I've removed the software via "Add or Remove Programs" on Windows. I've removed the program "e-book library by Sony", and restarted the PC.

I then reinstalled the e-library from the CD. However, when it's reinstalled I can see that it wasn't de-installed properly because the e-library still contains the e-books that were in the version that I de-installed!!!

And, when I connect the reader via USB I get the same error message as before; "Warning. Unabe to locate the file. This item has been moved, renamed or deleted."

Should I be removing any other programs? I can't see any other programs on the PC that relate to Sony software (or nothing that's jumping out at me at any rate).

Help me???

Thanks,

Jenny
Old 04-20-2009, 06:52 AM   #5
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Try deinstalling it and removing the following folder
Code:
c:\Documents and Settings\USER\Local Settings\Application Data\Sony Corporation\eBook Library
(replace USER with the your windows user name)
Advert
Old 04-20-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

There is also some advice in this thread about uninstalling the ebook software.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16796
Old 04-20-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
Jenny123

Thanks again both.....I'm getting closer!!

I followed the instructions below and managed to de-install elibrary and reinstall it successfully. (There are now no books appearing in the library at all, which is good).

However, I'm still having the same problem when connecting the ereader, i.e. error message: "Warning. Unabe to locate the file. This item has been moved, renamed or deleted."

Why won't the software recognise my reader.....???

Can anyone help???

Thanks,

Jenny
Old 04-20-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

It seems that the problem comes from your reader, not the software on your PC...
If you don't care loosing the books contained on the device, and your bookmarks, I'd suggest you try and restart it (using the menu to shut it down and then the power switch to turn it on again), and if it does not work, to reformat it (again using the menu).
Old 04-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
Jenny123

Haha, I could kiss you!!!!

Everything is now working after formatting the reader.

Many many thanks to you both!!

Jenny

Old 04-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #10
Curly
I need a holiday!

Yah! Glad to hear it. Happy reading!
Old 04-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #11
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny123 View Post
Haha, I could kiss you!!!!

Everything is now working after formatting the reader.

Many many thanks to you both!!

Jenny

Well, go ahead, I love being kissed

Seriously, happy that you solved your problem, and good reading !

David.