Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
ralphiedee
Zealot
ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
InDesign to Sigil

Opened a doc saved to epub from Indesign in Sigil. All the fonts and images are there. I see two things that I do not know how to address and need to know the following

First there are some images on some pages which are supposed to be 3 images across, the images are in different sizes in the Sigil file but are all the same size in the original InDesign file. Obviously the image dimensions have to be done from scratch. Should I do in Photoshop then import in back to Sigil? I would think instead of adding css to have the images display next to each other I can just take the three and make one image out of it and add to the Sigil page

Second is the background of the headers, you will see it is in black. Do I have to leave this out as well or should I save those headers as images and do the same? I have the same problem with the footer on each page

I gave the client an option, creating the Epub as pdf pages but the text is so small and the only good thing is the pdf retains the original styling. I would think the client will go for the styled epub version so I gotta be ready.

One last thing I notice, looking at the Sigil generated Epub in iPad there are some fonts that DO NOT display from the styled Sigil but in an ADE reader they do. I should inform the client of this as he wants pubs for Apple, Kindle and Nook.

Any pointers or help with the above is appreciated

See the screenshots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	87393  
ralphiedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphiedee View Post
Obviously the image dimensions have to be done from scratch. Should I do in Photoshop then import in back to Sigil? I would think instead of adding css to have the images display next to each other I can just take the three and make one image out of it and add to the Sigil page
You can just set the images' display size with CSS.

Quote:
Second is the background of the headers, you will see it is in black. Do I have to leave this out as well or should I save those headers as images and do the same? I have the same problem with the footer on each page
Headers and footers will not work, as there are no "pages" in ePub. (Actually, they could work, but I know of no reader that supports them.)

Quote:
I gave the client an option, creating the Epub as pdf pages but the text is so small and the only good thing is the pdf retains the original styling. I would think the client will go for the styled epub version so I gotta be ready.
Create the PDF with a 9×12cm page size and appropriate font size. There's nothing that can be done in ePub that cannot in PDF, except changing fonts and layout on the fly.

Quote:
One last thing I notice, looking at the Sigil generated Epub in iPad there are some fonts that DO NOT display from the styled Sigil but in an ADE reader they do. I should inform the client of this as he wants pubs for Apple, Kindle and Nook.
I guess you mean iBooks (an application), and not iPad (there are many applications for the iPad that can display ePub, I doubt all them have the same problems). It seems iBooks is quite particular with what it does to perfectly valid ePub files, and I believe embedded fonts are one of the things it may have problems with. Do a search, as I'm sure this problem has been talked about previously.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
ralphiedee
Zealot
ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.

Great tips! I'll create a pdf with those dimensions and I found an article which explains how to embed fonts editing the META-INF file.

thx again.

RD
Old 06-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
ralphiedee
Zealot

Quote:
Create the PDF with a 9×12cm page size and appropriate font size. There's nothing that can be done in ePub that cannot in PDF, except changing fonts and layout on the fly.
Correct me if I'm wrong but 9 x 12 cm comes out to approx 3.54 x 4.72 inches are you sure this is the size I should make the pdf?

RD
Old 06-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphiedee View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but 9 x 12 cm comes out to approx 3.54 x 4.72 inches are you sure this is the size I should make the pdf?

RD
Perfect for a 6" device with 3:4 aspect ratio.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2012, 03:54 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
You can see a sample here.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote