Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
How best to emulate Sony Ereader Experience?

Sorry if this has been covered, but a casual search didn't find exactly what I'm looking for, and everyone seems so, confident regarding what they are doing and why, and I am far from confident with my new Droid phone. Plus the Android App store app descriptions are remarkably vague.

I just got a Motorola Droid X2 phone and I want to download an ebook reader app or apps. But I'd like to duplicate my reading experience with my PRS350 as closely as possible with as few apps as possible.

I want to read EPUB and LRF books bought from Sony bookstore, and Epub books from Kobo, either DRMed or protection free. I want to be able to read books from smashwords and books from Baen Books as well.

Ideally, it would be a single app. I'm tempted to download the Sony App, but my experience with Sony bookstore is not 100% positive so I'm a bit leery. I buy many books from KOBO and am inclined to use their app, but it isn't clear to me if it will read and display books from Sony, or Baen or Smashwords.

I really don't want to have a different app for each eBook vendor I am likely to use. Can someone suggest a strategy for the maximum ePub and lrf flexibility for android?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
robtillotson
robtillotson will become famous soon enoughrobtillotson will become famous soon enoughrobtillotson will become famous soon enoughrobtillotson will become famous soon enoughrobtillotson will become famous soon enoughrobtillotson will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, Kindle 1
Well, Kobo handles sideloaded ePubs without DRM, so it would be fine for Smashwords and Baen stuff too. That only leaves the Sony stuff...

For the ePubs, the Android readers that support Adobe DRM right now are Aldiko, Mantano, Nook, and Sony. As long as you can get ePubs from Kobo, you could use one of these apps (the first three, at least) for everything, although it still might be more convenient to use the Kobo app if you buy a lot of titles from them.

Unfortunately when it comes to LRF, it seems like none of the reader apps support it, so you'll probably either have to get updated versions from Sony somehow (if that's even possible), or convert them with Calibre.

Good luck...
robtillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
mpd123
Zealot
mpd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo / samsung note 10.1
try coolreader works with epubs
mpd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #4
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Thanks, guys

Although I will look at coolreader, it does sound as if Kobo seems like a reasonable choice for me for epubs, at least going forward. And if even Sony won't support lrf for the android, there really isn't much reason for me to load it at all, I'll just read my lrf files on my Sony device and then maybe load a second reader from another vendor, that would at least give me some extra choice that I wouldn't have had otherwise.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote