Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 09-24-2016, 09:30 AM   #1
r0bis
r0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Boox Note Pro / Linux Laptop
Sync: Does Calibre re-read library on startup?

Does Calibre read it's library as new each time? I ask because I want to know:

Can I Sync: A <---> NAS <--->B with Calibre using Syncthing?

I would like to keep calibre folders identical on my 3 home computers. Would it cause problems to calibre? For example on my laptop A I might open Calibre and add a book and edit metadata for another. As I close Calibre and a day later I open Calibre on computer B - a desktop - will the Calibre on B be up to date with the new changes, provided that the sync process happened in the interim? Or will Calibre potentially become confused by the different states of its data between its previous closure and opening now?

The setup would have syncthing to keep folders up to date, using my NAS (openmediavault) as the always-on place where all new changes should be pushed to immediately. The NAS would also run Calibre web interface, but that would be read-only (if I can manage to restrict it) - just to serve books on the local network.

I am a user and a big fan of Calibre Companion for tablets and phones. I would still use those to manage books on my reading devices. However for my computers I would prefer full fledged calibre interface at any of the 3 computers / laptops I sit at.

And I would not expect edits on calibre databases simultaneously at different computers.
r0bis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes, it does. See https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...rked-drive-nas
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2016, 03:15 AM   #3
r0bis
r0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Boox Note Pro / Linux Laptop
Thank you kovidgoyal,

Yes, I read that page. Very useful. I guess given that changes to the library would not happen every day, probably syncthing might be counterproductive (constant sync and risk of calibre database corruption). Thus I would need to only run syncthing briefly when changes are made, which defeats the idea of syncthing. Perhaps a manual rsync approach would be better. The workflow could then be:

1) I change the library on computer A
2) When I am ready to push changes to central storage on NAS I shut down Calibre content server on NAS
3) I execute a script (either via rsync or Unison) that synchronises the A library to NAS
4) Launch Calibre content server on NAS
5) When I am working on computer B I first run a script that synchronises with NAS, then start Calibre on B.
6) Mobile devices used for reading always take their content from NAS

Rob
r0bis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:37 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes, that is fine.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, lan, server, sync