Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-15-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
martinalex
martinalex began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
New user - finally with a Sony - resume is crucial

I'm following this forum with great interest since nearly one year. There is very useful information about the different ebook readers.

I had read about eInk technology ever earlier and followed the discussions about the Librie on groups.yahoo.com/group/librie where the mobileread forum had been mentioned.

Fortunately I have now at least the option to choose between 2 different readers: Sony and Irex.

Irex is more expensive, but has a larger screen and 16 grayscales
Sony is nearly half the price, but not available in Europe (I live in Germany).

I have read a few ebooks on my Dell Axim X51 PDA, but the screen is too small. But one feature is great: I can switch off the PDA and resume reading later in less than 1 second. This is crucial for me, because I'm interrupted often when reading.

I have tended towards the Irex, but it has been mentioned in this forum more than once that the Irex has no resume feature, this was the crucial point for me to buy a Sony. The Sony has at lease a resume within a few seconds.

Unfortunately the Sony ebook reader is not sold in Europe , so I have ordered it from eBay. Prices are going down a bit 280€ + shipment. I have serial number 44999, so Sony will soon have sold 50.000 readers. Not huge, but a beginning. An estimated revenue of 10 mio $ or € is perhaps not too interesting for Sony.

The reader has arrived and makes a very good first impression.
The only missing feature: HTML support, but I will try to print web pages to PDF.

The next days I will be busy to find out what I can do with the reader.

P.S. Last week I was in a large electronics shop in Germany and they had more than one hundred different MP3 players available. I think in a few years I can go to such a shop and they will have 10 different ebook readers - we will see.

martinalex
martinalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I want to welcome you to MobileRead.

This is a wonderful community of like-minded lovers of ebooks and of reading.

You'll find a friendly - and spirited community! - of individuals who offer support and advice.

If you have questions, please ask.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Congrats to your new toy. Hope you enjoy it alot.

If you want to see an iLiad in real life, we might meet some time. I am not too fart away. I personally also would like to see the Sony in real life.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Again, welcome to MobileRead.

Perhaps a better choice for converting web pages for use on the Sony would be html2lrf which is part of the libprs500 package. Save the file as html and run the command line program html2lrf and you get a wonderfully formatted lrf file (the native format for the Sony) that can be loaded and read easily. He has some other programs that in the library that search such sites as Newsweek or the NY Times and create great lrf files for the Sony. You can get these programs from his web site for free. Just go to the MobileRead Wiki (there's a link to it on the top of the screen) and look on the conversion page.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome 'into the light,' martinalex!

Glad we could help you with your decision.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2007, 03:04 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinalex View Post
I have tended towards the Irex, but it has been mentioned in this forum more than once that the Irex has no resume feature, this was the crucial point for me to buy a Sony. The Sony has at lease a resume within a few seconds.
Note that, technically the Sony does not have a "suspend/resume" feature. That is when you "dump" a memory image to disk, and reload it to resume execution - like the "Suspend" feature that most Windows notebooks offer.

The Sony simply never shuts down; when you "turn it off", all that happens is that it blanks the screen and disables most of the buttons. The operating system continues to run, which is why a Sony Reader will continue to use up its battery charge at a constant rate (roughly 1 "bar" of charge on the battery meter every 5-7 days) whether you use the machine or not.

I have both a Sony Reader and an iLiad. Both are excellent machines with their own strengths and weaknesses.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:04 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Congrats on finding your reader, martinalex I am sure you'll have a lot of fun with it.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:39 PM   #8
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
This is what I like about the Sony, you can leave it on all the time and it won't use any more energy than when it's off. It will eventually shut the screen off if you don't use it for a while, but I've noticed my wife has been leaving hers on quite often and haven't noticed any decrease in power performance.

Can't speak for the iRex, but I like the instant-on of the Reader.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:11 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
Can't speak for the iRex, but I like the instant-on of the Reader.
The iLiad boots every time you turn it on, which takes about 45 seconds. This isn't a problem for me - I just turn it on and go and make a cup of tea, and it's ready to go when I come back - but you can't really use it for 5 minute reading sessions like you can with the Reader. The Reader's "instant on" is definitely a big "plus".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:20 AM   #10
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Agreed, the resume on the Reader really means you can just pick it whenever you have a couple of minutes.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:56 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I am planning on trying sometime in the future is turning off (proper off) my Sony and seeing how much longer the battery life lasts before needing a charge. Turn it off when I go to bed and turn it on in the morning.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote