Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
What's the bloody point of synching reading life?

I mean, my stats and achievements are not backed up and are not transferred between my kobo devices, so why on earth does my Ktouch bother to update it? And why on earth does it take sooooooo long now ever since the last firmware update? And why one earth does it not synch properly with my Android phone and tablet (and, for that matter, why on earth do they not synch with each other?). Come one, Kobo, how on earth can you release such a crap-tacular product when the other vendors have got this synching thing down. Even google books synchs correctly, as crappy an app as THAT is! And Kindle is smooth as butter. If it weren't for the frequent discount codes and the better PDF (and CBR) support, I'd be seriously regretting that I didn't wait for the K4.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Shankill
Nameless Being

I'm with you on the reading stats and awards: back when there were the corrupted database issues, I had to do two resets. The only things synced back after a month or more of once-a-week syncing were my completed achievements. I was halfway through a handful of others, but only the ones I'd finished were retained. It got really annoying.
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
I mean, my stats and achievements are not backed up and are not transferred between my kobo devices, so why on earth does my Ktouch bother to update it?
My stats and achievements were transferred between my Touch and my Vox. Maybe other devices weren't.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Actually it might be interesting if the Awards also were supported on the Desktop App.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:25 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
They also sync between my Android phone, Touch, and the Vox.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
mayamo
mayamo began at the beginning.

hm that's weird cuz when i did a hard reset and synced with my desktop app, i got all my achievements back
mayamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
JedV
Kobo Toucher
JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamo View Post
hm that's weird cuz when i did a hard reset and synced with my desktop app, i got all my achievements back
That must be the main reason that is functional at this time. As has been reported previously, there are a lot of bugs when it comes to Reading Life on the KT.
JedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
I turned off RL..

I'm still waiting for a new update for the KT to solve the Reading Life issue. It worked with .10, but since then it refuses to keep an accurate track of my completed books and my current book stats.

It was suggested to do a factory reset, then reinstall .12 as that fixed the issue one person had with RL. I'm not in the mood to do that, and honestly I should have to do it, it should be fixed.

So I turned RL off. I'm annoyed that I had to do that, but it was driving me *nuts* to see the stats go up and down, or power back on and have all the current read information cleared. My husband is still using .10 and having NO issues. I have .12 and am ticked off.
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
This sounds though like a database corruption issue. I'm not sure I would expect a program update to correct a corrupted database
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Hmm.. Maybe.. But why would an update mess up some people's databases and not everyone's?
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think it's possible that the upgrade did not damage the database, but rather some other "anomaly" while reading / adding books / powering on and off did.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #12
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think it's possible that the upgrade did not damage the database, but rather some other "anomaly" while reading / adding books / powering on and off did.
I can sympathize with DB corruption errors since I've had my share of them.. There are some situations where the corruption is minor but does create some weird effects. One of which is giving incorrect counts in Reading Life.

I wish there was some mid-point tool that would allow you to repair/reset the DB but not have to do a full-reset.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #13
Shankill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
It was suggested to do a factory reset, then reinstall .12 as that fixed the issue one person had with RL. I'm not in the mood to do that, and honestly I should have to do it, it should be fixed.
The only reason I wasn't too fussed about doing it was that all my books were already on an SD card. Factory resets with all your books on the Kobo's memory are the most amazing pain. I wasn't exactly in the mood to do it, either, but RL is one of my favourite features.

But yeah, the solution shouldn't have to involve a factory reset. I still can't believe that this bug turned up for two people and no one else. Perhaps PeterT's right that it was some bizarre, unlikely database corruption.