Old 11-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #31
Bonex
Connoisseur
Bonex began at the beginning.

Device: KDXG, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passepartout View Post
I will say to you all now:
"I will send my Pocketbook 902 white back".
Nooo, is it so bad? I've been waiting for this device a long time, because I want a large screen and ePub support.
In your photos the background is indeed dark.In this other post (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=27) there are a few photos and in comparison the background seems a lot brighter.
I need to wait some other opinions...

By the way, can you test this ePub file: "Three Man in a Boat" by Jerome K. Jerome?
It is a public domain book edited by one user of MobileRead, that is considered almost a reference in formatting. I'd like to know if the PB renders it correctly (using the embedded fonts too).

Anyway for your detailed review!
Bonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #32
CalvinL
Enthusiast
CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Passepartout, why you decide to return it?? is it that bad?
CalvinL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 04:43 AM   #33
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinL View Post
Passepartout, why you decide to return it?? is it that bad?
while we wait for him to respond, Mount (i think this is the tralation of the nick "Passpartout"!) here says that he is sending it back because of low contrast (backgournd appears greY), at least if google translate is right - basically, they say it feels like looking at a book with grey, ratehr tahn white pages.
And from the pictures they posted, it does indeed look very grey. A couple more people, if I got it right, are also returning theirs, or canceling the preorder. This is not good...

Last edited by paola; 11-23-2010 at 04:53 AM.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:20 AM   #34
katzki
Zealot
katzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs 650
I feel just inappropriate in comparing 6 inch vizplex screen with 9.7 inch one.
My Kindle DX was definitely darker in the background than Kindle 2.

If you want to find an ereader that has a brighter backgroud, then you should go to the pearl screen or just go to 6 inch devices. I think 902's vizplex is just what we can get best except for the pearl screen.

What I really want to hear is the accessment from the people who have had other 9.7 inch devices to compare with.

The comparison between 902 and sony prs 505 is just not fair.
and, usually, you need more light when you read 9.7inch device than 6 inch one. That's from my experience.

Last edited by katzki; 11-23-2010 at 05:22 AM.
katzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:27 AM   #35
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
Well, is it grey comparing to iRex DR800? At first I expected it to be whiter, but I got used to it in the meantime.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 05:29 AM   #36
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzki View Post

If you want to find an ereader that has a brighter backgroud, then you should go to the pearl screen or just go to 6 inch devices. I think 902's vizplex is just what we can get best except for the pearl screen.

What I really want to hear is the accessment from the people who have had other 9.7 inch devices to compare with.

The comparison between 902 and sony prs 505 is just not fair.
and, usually, you need more light when you read 9.7inch device than 6 inch one. That's from my experience.
Thanks.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=95364&page=34
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #37
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
this is actually very useful to know, as I had had a look at this video, and I could not tell there was much difference between the small screen and large screen version of the kindle.

As for the Pearl screen, if I rememer correctly in the tranlsated link above at some point Forkosigan writes something along the lines that the Pearl/Vizplex issue is a red herring, as the video comparing PB602 with a sony (also linked in this forum, give me a moment and I will find it) actually showed arguably negligible differences.

Anyhow, still anxiously waiting for my PB903, it would be nice to know when it is coming...

EDIT: the video comparing PB602 and Sony 650 is here

Last edited by paola; 11-23-2010 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:44 AM   #38
katzki
Zealot
katzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolamanzini View Post
this is actually very useful to know, as I had had a look at this video, and I could not tell there was much difference between the small screen and large screen version of the kindle.

As for the Pearl screen, if I rememer correctly in the tranlsated link above at some point Forkosigan writes something along the lines that the Pearl/Vizplex issue is a red herring, as the video comparing PB602 with a sony (also linked in this forum, give me a moment and I will find it) actually showed arguably negligible differences.

Anyhow, still anxiously waiting for my PB903, it would be nice to know when it is coming...

EDIT: the video comparing PB602 and Sony 650 is here
In the youtube link, I can not find much difference between Kindle 2 and Kindle dx, too. But here is the thing... the video was recorded under very bright light. In that case, yes, you may not feel much difference between them. But if you are under dimmer light, the contrast difference will come up. Some of my friends agreed that kindle 2 has better contrast than kindle dx.

And... I already watched the video comparing 602 with prs 650... Yes, there is a difference but negligible to me... I don't think the pannel of 602 is different from that of 902.. Simply no reason to be different, except for the size which might produce some differences.
katzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:59 AM   #39
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
In the youtube link, I can not find much difference between Kindle 2 and Kindle dx, too. But here is the thing... the video was recorded under very bright light. In that case, yes, you may not feel much difference between them. But if you are under dimmer light, the contrast difference will come up. Some of my friends agreed that kindle 2 has better contrast than kindle dx.

And... I already watched the video comparing 602 with prs 650... Yes, there is a difference but negligible to me... I don't think the pannel of 602 is different from that of 902.. Simply no reason to be different, except for the size which might produce some differences.
I feel that Passepartouts problem has a lot to do with lighting sources and sensibility to it. As you notice from the pic that Fork posted, the 902 is slightly lighter than the 505 even with the 10"screen. It is true that reading with these new bulbs can be difficult. i use a reading light all the time myself.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:56 AM   #40
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
I feel that Passepartouts problem has a lot to do with lighting sources and sensibility to it. As you notice from the pic that Fork posted, the 902 is slightly lighter than the 505 even with the 10"screen. It is true that reading with these new bulbs can be difficult. i use a reading light all the time myself.
well, as they say, the proof is in the pudding: looking forward to receiving my PB903 and check it out!

mtravellerh, do you have an update on delivery dates on the PB903? (mine is coming from UK's greenreader)?
Old 11-23-2010, 07:05 AM   #41
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolamanzini View Post
well, as they say, the proof is in the pudding: looking forward to receiving my PB903 and check it out!

mtravellerh, do you have an update on delivery dates on the PB903? (mine is coming from UK's greenreader)?
Not sure, Paola. I will update you as soon as I know. Afaik, it will be delivered to you before december.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:23 AM   #42
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Not sure, Paola. I will update you as soon as I know. Afaik, it will be delivered to you before december.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #43
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
the most interesting from this video just posted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AIOsC3KgC0
is to see how fast the page turning on 902 is..
good point..
it does full refresh every 5 pages I see..
now I need only a video about managing with pdf and I'm going to buy it..
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #44
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Regarding the difference in the perception of whiteness or blackness in different units.

I have had several opportunities to compare my trusty PocketBook 360, with second generation display to Kindle 3 with the latest "pearl" screen.

1. The difference varies with displayed content. When you compare picture (especially "screensaver") on Kindle 3 to text on PB360 the difference is striking. Text to text isn't *that* different.

2 The difference even more markedly varies with the ambient light. I have been comparing them in direct sunlight, indoors during the day, under incandescent light, under fluorescent lights, under mixed lightning conditions. Under artificial light, in conditions I do 90% of my reading in, the difference is minimal.

And, mind you, I am talking about "good old" (TM) PocketBook 360 and not about the "new and improved" version of Vizplex display that 602 ... 903 have.

I do not claim that Pearl display is not better, I merely want to point out that conflicting reports regarding the difference between various units might be due to different lightning conditions. And do not get me started on the topic of various cameras.
When the very first e-ink devices came out, all we had were photos made by professional photographers under very favorable conditions. Many people, when they received the first units said that the screens are "too photogenic" ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #45
psv
Connoisseur
psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, remarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Regarding the difference in the perception of whiteness or blackness in different units.

I have had several opportunities to compare my trusty PocketBook 360, with second generation display to Kindle 3 with the latest "pearl" screen.

1. The difference varies with displayed content. When you compare picture (especially "screensaver") on Kindle 3 to text on PB360 the difference is striking. Text to text isn't *that* different.

2 The difference even more markedly varies with the ambient light. I have been comparing them in direct sunlight, indoors during the day, under incandescent light, under fluorescent lights, under mixed lightning conditions. Under artificial light, in conditions I do 90% of my reading in, the difference is minimal.
After comparing PB360 with Sony350, my experience is:
if there is not enough light, the pearl screen is really better. Perhaps it depends on your eyesight. Under good light the difference (for text) is not important.

If the text contains some thin lines (as in many math symbols, in scanned handwriting, if the font is small (sub/superscripts)), the pearl screen is much better. That makes me worry, since I'd like to use 90x for math text.

Maybe a comparison between the "old" PB360 screen and "new and improved" screen of 60x/90x would help.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote