Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 05:33 AM   #1
davebalme
Enthusiast
davebalme began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Ipad, Kobo Wireless, Archos 70b & 80G9. And a Kobo Arc
Ipad Wi-Fi & 3G

Please excuse my ignorance but I'm thinking of buying an the 3G Ipad configuration in the UK. But I have a question regarding the four provider options (O2, 3, Orange & Vodaphone) ~ if I subscribe to one of these options is it UK specific or could I connect to the internet using the Ipad 3G service outside of the UK for example when on holiday?
davebalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:15 AM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I'm not in the UK, but I assume that if your are outside the service area of the provider, you will not get service. If you phone works, than the 3G on the iPad will work. If you have no phone service, than no 3G service for the iPad....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:03 AM   #3
Tim_A
Tim_A began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad, PRS-600
A contract with one of the UK providers can usually be used for 3G outside the UK ("Roaming"), but it is phenomenally expensive over and above your regular charges.

From reading other forums (my iPad is only WiFi, so I have no direct experience), the 3G in the iPad is 'unlocked', which means that it is not tied to any particular provider. So you can buy and use a cheap Pay As You Go sim from whatever country you're in and use it while you are there. This will be many orders of magnitude cheaper than roaming with your UK provider.

As an example, 3 charges £1.25 per MB for roaming in ROI and Europe, £3 per MB for USA, Australia, Japan, South Africa, plus some others, and £6 per MB "rest of the world".

You will also need to purchase a pair of scissors (or remember to pack some in non-carryon luggage) to cut down the sim to the smaller size the iPad needs.
Tim_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Vodafone UK have just told me it is £4.99 per 25mb chunk in Europe.

Testing it tomorrow!

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The only UK iPad provider who currently has roaming capability is Orange. They charge £3 per MB for Europe, £6.50 for the rest of the world.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
Vodafone UK have just told me it is £4.99 per 25mb chunk in Europe.

Testing it tomorrow!

amjb
For the iPad? They told me that roaming wasn't possible!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
davebalme
Enthusiast
davebalme began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Ipad, Kobo Wireless, Archos 70b & 80G9. And a Kobo Arc
Many sincere thanks for all your help ~ I think it will be just the WiFi option for me.
davebalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The 3G option is very, very useful, Dave. Personally I think it's well worth paying the extra for.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The 3G option is very, very useful, Dave. Personally I think it's well worth paying the extra for.

that depends linking to an android phone or jaibroken iPhone is also simple and discounts the need for a second plan and gets you a cheaper device with all of teh same functionality.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #10
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:
I think going with a WiFi only version + a good MiFi is the better way.

I love my Mifi it provides me internet access for up to 5 devices, it build up a network wherever i need it for up to 5 devices i can insert a SD card up to 32GB and get a network drive of 32GB which i can also use with the iPad.

Besides that you are not restricted to one provider you can always get a prepaid SIM card of the country you visit.

And last but not least with the new iPhone4 upcoming featuring video calls just over WiFi i have no problem cause i can always use it with my MiFi.

I love this thing and i would never EVER prefer a UMTS iPad over a MiFi.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #11
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i am quite happy with my wifi only version as i have several options for wifi access. my only wish was that it had GPS built in. it's unfortunate apple tied that to having 3g. i know there are jailbreak options for using a bluetooth gpsr, i just haven't gone that route yet.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sischa View Post
I think going with a WiFi only version + a good MiFi is the better way.
It's another device to carry around, keep charged, etc. With my 3G iPad, I know that I can get online anywhere with it on its own.

"MyFi" are good, to be sure; I just prefer the "all in one" convenience of the 3G iPad.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #13
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
It's another device to carry around, keep charged, etc. With my 3G iPad, I know that I can get online anywhere with it on its own.

"MyFi" are good, to be sure; I just prefer the "all in one" convenience of the 3G iPad.
Me, too. I'd like to pay less, of course, but I love the flexibility and convenience. When good wi-fi is available, I take advantage. I like having 3G for elsewhere.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #14
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
For the iPad? They told me that roaming wasn't possible!
I have no idea, whether that's correct. If so, it would be a serious showstopper.
Because of all these information gaps, I went for the WiFi only version. I either tether to my iPhone or my MiFi. Works perfectly fine.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote