Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
jibril
Connoisseur
jibril is on a distinguished road

Device: none
How long before books are sold DRM-free?

You know, I only started buying music from iTunes the moment it turned DRM-free....

I feel if Kindle were the only game in town as far as major bookstore, it would have stayed DRM forever. The reason Apple was able to push for DRM-free in music sucessfully is that they became such a major force that the music industry had to listen and Apple didn't like the extra work DRM made (people locked out, etcetera).

The other factor is that music was easy to read and throw contents on the web. People don't feel compelled to do the same as far as scanning books is concerned, just a lot more work. With college students and textbooks, this really surprises me tbh. But I suspect the DRM format is going to be bypassed and people will throw books up that way.

So, as always, legitimate customers will be punished by encumberances that pirates don't feel.

But I feel the same freedom is coming to books eventually. There are enough free PDFs floating around for me to read... but I'm not going to buy DRMed books.... I want access forever regardless of device.

I just hope it's sooner (< 5 years) rather than later.
jibril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
About as long as it will take to pry their heads out of their butts.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
It will probably be a long time.

eBook market is still pretty tiny, we won't see DRM going away until it really increases a ton in size and the bitching from consumers finally gains a real voice.

Then one major company will drop DRM and all will have to follow suit eventually just as happened with MP3s.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
About as long as it will take to pry their heads out of their butts.
So never then?

I'm hoping publishers will wise up faster than the music industry, but I expect I'll be disappointed.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
DRM = Don't Read Me. I'm right in tune with you guys ... and I'm a publisher. Check out my latest blog post a few minutes ago here: http://bewritebooks.blogspot.com/ Nothing you don't already know, but we aim to take a stand and say 'no' to any retailers who want to impose DRM on our titles. That happens, you know: a small indie puts over a piece and the retailer or distributor slaps on DRM. Same problem with geographical restrictions for publishers like my own who hold international rights. Restri9ctions are not always the publisher's fault. Hoots. Neil

Last edited by neilmarr; 05-13-2010 at 01:10 PM.
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
Bookster
Maniac
Bookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enough

Device: Gen3 PRS505&600 Kindle2 Pocketbook360&302 BeBookmini Onyx Boox Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
DRM = Don't Read Me. I'm right in tune with you guys ... and I'm a publisher. Check out my latest blog post a few minutes ago here: http://bewritebooks.blogspot.com/ Nothing you don't already know, but we aim to take a stand and say 'no' to any retailers who want to impose DRM on our titles. That happens, you know: a small indie puts over a piece and the retailer or distributor slaps on DRM. Same problem with geographical restrictions for publishers like my own who hold international rights. Restri9ctions are not always the publisher's fault. Hoots. Neil
Thank you at least somebody reasonable!
Bookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
I look forward to a day when we can purchase non-DRM ebooks as directly as possible from the creators of the works. And kudos to Neil for his " Don't Read Me" blog.

This seems like an appropriate thread to promote one of my favorite fellow Canadian authors, Cory Doctorow. For those of you who don't know Corey, in addition to being one of the founders and a prolific contributor at Boing Boing, he is an anti-DRM activist and a damn good SciFi writer to boot.

Over the years he has made many of his books available for free downloads and currently has a "matchmaking service" where he gives away a free e-book copy of his new book for each printed copy he sells.

One of his recent books, "Futuristic Tales of the Here and Now" has been made into a 6-issue comic adaptation and is available as a free CBZ download at this link:

http://www.archive.org/details/CoryD...fTheHereAndNow

Cory's website: craphound

Last edited by Fotoman; 05-13-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cory is a hero, Fotoman. He's not only a wonderful author, he plays from a straight bat. He's ferociously independent (which I like). But, you know, author, editor and publisher together can be equally ferocious as a team. Neil
Old 05-14-2010, 07:51 AM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr

I've asked my tech partner, Tony Szmuk in Canada, who ran up these logos (below) for our own website and blog yesterday, to produce another version that any MobileRead member can use and copy as a personal demand (with no BeWrite bee or anything else BeWrite Books-specific) for use wherever the fancy takes them: emails, avatars, signatures, websites, blogs, etc. It will read:

OUR BOOKS

DRM-FREE

OUR WAY.

I'll post it as soon as Tony's done the job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drm_free non-specific.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	51562   Click image for larger version

Name:	drm_free_green with bb.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	51564  
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
It will happen much sooner if people will stop purchasing ebooks infected with DRM in the first place. Vote with your wallet!
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Rumor has it that Google ebooks will be DRM free and that they have got a number of publishers to go along with it. If that is true, then I would guess that ebooks will be DRM from all the major vendors within a year or so. That's what happened with music.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:41 AM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr

***It will happen much sooner if people will stop purchasing ebooks infected with DRM in the first place. Vote with your wallet!***

That would certainly send a strong message, CyGuy. It's time more publishers woke up to the fact that they're breeding customer contempt by what is quite plainly a sneaky marketing ploy and has little or nothing to do with preventing piracy as claimed.

Readers are the top of the food chain in this industry and they, quite rightly, carry most weight but the more publishers, large or small, who make a stand against DRM, the more pressure there will be on others to stop making weak excuses and free our books. And the more retailers fall into line, the less popular will become those who insist on this blatant violation of basic ownership rights.

Let's hope. Cheers. Neil