Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 04:40 AM   #1
KevWal
KevWal began at the beginning.

Device: A81
Which WinCE, Win Mobile or Windows Tablet Device

Hi

Excuse the slightly off topic post, but there seems to be a lot of knowledge here about the above kinds of devices.

I am looking for a device to run the Pocket FMS software (http://www.pocketfms.com/). I currently run it either on a HP IPAQ 4700 PDA running Win Mobile, or a non branded PND running WinCE. It can also run on x86 Windows.

I am looking for a 5 to 7 inch sunlight readable display, with the most memory and fastest processor I can get, whilst being a light weight device - something that can still be attached using a suction mount to a windscreen.

The 4700 PDA is the best I have used so far, but the 4" screen is a bit small and it is very slow running the PocketFMS software.

Any help appretiated!

Just extending this to options considered:

Navigon 8410 - Runs PocketFMS quickly (600mhz cpu), bright screen, but expensive (£350 for a PND!) and low res - 480x272

A81 - does it run the software? Should be fast, Good res (800x480), Good size (7"), Cost ok (£200?), but poor review of IE performance worries me.

Thanks very much
Kevin

Last edited by KevWal; 04-01-2010 at 07:59 AM.
KevWal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:45 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
If there was a sunlight readable display, at 7", running WinCE, WinMobile or Win 7, I'd buy it in a flash...

I'm afraid you'll have to wait till the PixelQi screens arive, as transflective screens are almost never used on anything larger than a PDA... (at least, I presume you don't want an e-ink screen as that is generally slow on the update side...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
KevWal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
If there was a sunlight readable display, at 7", running WinCE, WinMobile or Win 7, I'd buy it in a flash...

I'm afraid you'll have to wait till the PixelQi screens arive, as transflective screens are almost never used on anything larger than a PDA... (at least, I presume you don't want an e-ink screen as that is generally slow on the update side...)
Hi Sweetpea

Thanks for your thoughts,

Even something matching the screen size of the 4700 (4"), but siginficantly faster would be a step up - but I can't find any faster PDA's.

I don't think it has to be transflective to be workable outside though, transmissive I am told can work if reasonably bright?

Thanks
Kev
Old 04-01-2010, 07:42 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWal View Post
Hi Sweetpea

Thanks for your thoughts,

Even something matching the screen size of the 4700 (4"), but siginficantly faster would be a step up - but I can't find any faster PDA's.

I don't think it has to be transflective to be workable outside though, transmissive I am told can work if reasonably bright?

Thanks
Kev
Yes, but you will need to put it on power constantly, because that generally drains the battery rather fast

If you don't mind that, there are a few devices that would work.

this site: http://www.umpcportal.com/ might aid you in your search.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
KevWal

Hi

I have power in the aircraft, so thats not a problem.

I have had a look at umpcportal, thanks for the pointer, the A81 at 390g for 7 inches stands out as a good choice?

Thanks
Kev