Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It seems to me that a lot of people are looking into library eBooks after having purchased a reader that cannot handle library eBooks. Why not look into library eBooks BEFORE the purchase of a reader?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #17
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
What is the advantage of getting your eBooks from your local library?
Is it just to avoid buying them? Or are there books you can get from
the library that you can't find elsewhere?

Am I missing out on something if I have a reader that can't do Adobe
DRM?
Can't find elsewhere?

Well, let's take a backlist paperback novel by a bestselling author before she became a bestseller. This book is not available in a local bookstore, and cannot be special ordered since it is out of print. The library *system* may have a copies floating around in it but since these books are 10-15 years old many have been damaged or lost, and the one branch that has a copy is in the tiny branch 20 miles away. I can go to Amazon and find a used book seller who will sell it to me--with creases and a coffeestain-- for $15.99 plus $3.99 s&h.

Or I can go to overdrive, click it up on my computer, and be reading it within minutes as long as there isn't a hold on it (and there is often is a hold on it, but I've never had to wait more than a few weeks for a book).

Books can be read on ADE so you don't need a reader that handles the DRM unless your eyes can't handle reading on a backlit screen.

(By which I mean to say my local digital library consortium has all Lisa Kleypas's backlist, and I've never seen the complete collection anywhere else. This is actually kind of unusual; it is more usual for the library to have books 3 and 5 of a given series and none other, but if you're ready to read book 3 or 5, it's there).
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Can't find elsewhere?

Well, let's take a backlist paperback novel by a bestselling author before she became a bestseller. This book is not available in a local bookstore, and cannot be special ordered since it is out of print. The library *system* may have a copies floating around in it but since these books are 10-15 years old many have been damaged or lost, and the one branch that has a copy is in the tiny branch 20 miles away. I can go to Amazon and find a used book seller who will sell it to me--with creases and a coffeestain-- for $15.99 plus $3.99 s&h.

Or I can go to overdrive, click it up on my computer, and be reading it within minutes as long as there isn't a hold on it (and there is often is a hold on it, but I've never had to wait more than a few weeks for a book).

Books can be read on ADE so you don't need a reader that handles the DRM unless your eyes can't handle reading on a backlit screen.

(By which I mean to say my local digital library consortium has all Lisa Kleypas's backlist, and I've never seen the complete collection anywhere else. This is actually kind of unusual; it is more usual for the library to have books 3 and 5 of a given series and none other, but if you're ready to read book 3 or 5, it's there).
Actually, you cannot go to Overdrive to get the eBook. Your library has to go to Overdrive to get it so then you can borrow it.

And the libraries here do have inter-branch loaning. So that item that's in the branch that's 20 miles away will eventually be delivered to the branch of my choice and put on hold for me.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:40 PM   #19
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
What is the advantage of getting your eBooks from your local library?
They're free to borrow.

But you won't find, in general, ebooks not on sale elsewhere. And some publishers, like Macmillian, refuse to let libraries lend out their ebooks.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #20
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, you cannot go to Overdrive to get the eBook. Your library has to go to Overdrive to get it so then you can borrow it.
I go to the MD or DC overdrive site and point and click and a minute later I am reading, is what I meant.

Quote:
And the libraries here do have inter-branch loaning. So that item that's in the branch that's 20 miles away will eventually be delivered to the branch of my choice and put on hold for me.
Eventually but either way it is a bit of a hassle. Also I just discovered that they no longer charge you to put something on hold. They used to!
Old 03-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I go to the MD or DC overdrive site and point and click and a minute later I am reading, is what I meant.
Which is only what the respective libraries have decided to purchase.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:37 PM   #22
Joykins
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Which is only what the respective libraries have decided to purchase.
True! But there is so much there to read if you like vampire romance and cliff notes!
Old 10-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #23
craftyduchess
craftyduchess began at the beginning.

Device: ipad mini
Smile IntroDuction

Im From Philippines and im happy to be a part of the forum. I love books eversince I was a young child.I think it is inborn. I still love paperbacks but im ecstatic to discover the benefits of ebook. I have 2500+ books in my calibre library and counting
craftyduchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #24
canuck100
canuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thename View Post
Most libraries use Overdrive for their ebook lending . . . .
My library (epl.ca) uses the following sources:
EBSCO eBooks
Freading
Overdrive
for books downloadable to my Kobo Aura.

ETA: Like FREADING because there is no limit on the number of copies the library can lend at one time. EBSCO and Overdrive have limits which means that a popular title needs to be placed "on hold" as one would for a regular print book.

Last edited by canuck100; 10-26-2013 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Elaboration of FREADING
canuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #25
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
What I was wondering about is if the library eBook offerings were something that might be unavailable some place else.
If you count https://openlibrary.org/, yes. However, those books are uncorrected scans. When I go to that web site, it says at the top of the home page:

Quote:
Hello! The State of Pennsylvania is participating in our eBook lending program
So I suppose it is somehow funded by my tax dollars, just like the library down the street.

The closest example I can think of beyond this is when you pay an out of area fee to a library and live in another country where the set of marketed eBooks is somewhat different.

Perhaps there have been a very few ebooks where the library bought a long term license from Overdrive, and then the ebook stopped being marketed. If I notice one, maybe I'll remember to revive this thread when I find it.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #26
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftyduchess View Post
Im From Philippines and im happy to be a part of the forum. I love books eversince I was a young child.I think it is inborn. I still love paperbacks but im ecstatic to discover the benefits of ebook. I have 2500+ books in my calibre library and counting
Welcome! I have had an ebook reader since late 2008, and love it and Mobileread more and more every year! And good move to start right off with caliber, which is the best thing since sliced bread!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote