Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-19-2009, 05:06 AM   #31
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
My memory came back to life today:
The first ebook I ever bought was "Things my girlfriend and I have argued about" by Mil Millington. It was quite fun.
Still, I don't think it was the first I ever read on my reader. I'll get back to you if I ever remember...
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #32
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
The first book I've read in ebook form (on my laptop) was Larry Niven - Ringworld. I've picked this one because a new book was added to the series since I've last read it, and it's my favorite sci-fi series.

The first book I've finished on my reader was Robert J. Sawyer - Starplex.

I haven't bought an ebook yet, but when I run out of good books to read I'll probably buy the Hall Spacejock series.
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:47 PM   #33
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The first book I read on my Kindle was Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries by Neil deGrasse Tyson.
The first book I bought for the Nook was The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett.

The first book I will have read on the Nook will be Heidegger and a Hippo Walk Through Those Pearly Gates Using Philosophy (And Jokes!) to Explore Life, Death, the Afterlife, and Everything in Between by Thomas Cathcart, unless it goes belly-up and becomes unopenable and refuses to format like the Pratchett book did.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:41 PM   #34
julia103
Connoisseur
julia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Grantville Gazette Volume III (from Webscriptions). OK, it's not officially a book, but it got me hooked on ebooks. I had read the first two volumes after they were published in paper, and decided I didn't want to wait for the third one to hit paper.
julia103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:03 AM   #35
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
My first ebook was the "Have Tech, Will Travel" bundle of Star Trek: S.C.E., I had it included on a Palm Zire 71 that I bought on-line to help me with my reference material back when I was working in medicine. I liked the books so much that it drew me into the whole ebook thing.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:08 AM   #36
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryF View Post
Hi all,

With Santa fast approaching (10 more sleeps, but who's counting), I am really hoping there will be a shiny new reader under the tree with my name on it. This will be my first ebook reader, and I'm already trying to figure out what the first book I read on it will be. Right now I'm thinking "Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss - I am longing to read it again, and I think it would be a great starting point.

Yes, I obsess about weird things - like my first ebook. I'm sure my husband could give you an entertaining list.

This got me wondering - what was the first book you read in ebook format, and was there a reason you picked that book? OK - asking the reason is a bit strange, I know.

Jan
Yes. One of the things that pushed me over the edge to purchase my first ebook reader was the free availability of so many classics which are on my to-read list for ages.

I'm actually having some fuzzzies, but I believe it was D.H. Lawerence's Sons and Lovers.

Followed by The Heart is a Lonely Hunter - Carson McCullers
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #37
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
My first ebook was WALKING by Henry David Thoreau, a short but wonderful piece.

"I wish to speak a word for NATURE, for absolute freedom and wildness..."
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #38
DebT
Enthusiast
DebT began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
My first ebook was the Sherlock Holmes Omnibus from here at MR
My first purchase was a bundle of Brad Thor books.
DebT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #39
EricLandes
Connoisseur
EricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle PW, Kobo Aura HD, Galaxy Note 10.1
First eBook purchased was Castles of Steel by Robert Massie.
First eBook completely read on my Kindle 2 was Red Mars from Kim Stanley Robinson.

Already 1/3 through my 2nd eBook (American Gods) and I haven't even had my Kindle a month.
EricLandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:22 AM   #40
K8Ereader
Connoisseur
K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy by Douglas Adams.
1. I lost my copy to my brother many years ago.
2. The sequel by Eoin Colfer is on my TBR list, so I thought I'd re-read the whole sequence.
3. It seemed appropriate since the guide is a handheld device and encyclopedia...
K8Ereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:24 AM   #41
lapwing
lapwing began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi ...

I haven't yet got an ereader but am reading my first ebook on my netbook ... it's 'voyage to the centre of the earth' by jules verne.

When i get an ereader (hopefully for my birthday next month) i was going to read Flatland but i think as the previus post said 'Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy' might be very appropriate !

Sarah E
lapwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:53 AM   #42
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapwing View Post
Hi ...

I haven't yet got an ereader but am reading my first ebook on my netbook ... it's 'voyage to the centre of the earth' by jules verne.

When i get an ereader (hopefully for my birthday next month) i was going to read Flatland but i think as the previus post said 'Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy' might be very appropriate !

Sarah E
Wonderful book and Welcome to MR!

It was the availability of free classics that brought me in. You should check out the Edgar Rice Burroughs Pellucidar and center of the earth books as well. They are great!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #43
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
You should check out the Edgar Rice Burroughs Pellucidar and center of the earth books as well. They are great!
Great tips. I'm beginning to collect so many books that it's hard to keep track of them all. I really need the folders option for my Kindle so I can start organizing. Hopefully this will be out with the next firmware.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #44
drmaxx
Connoisseur
drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!

Device: none
Christmas is over and I indeed got a shiny new PRS-600. And the first book was 'In defence of food' by Michael Pollan. Was on my list of books to read - so I got it.

Just in case anybody wants to know: Yes I liked the book and I would recommend it. If you care about food and would like a good old common sense view on healthy food.

2. 'Going postal' by Terry Pratchett (just because I am very entertained by Pratchett)
3. 'Ringworld' by Larry Niven (started that book at a friends house and wanted to finnish it!)
3. 'The Ringworld Engineers' (the sequel - did not like it as much as the first one. Sorry to say, but I am done with the sequel.)
4. 'The blind watchmaker' by Richard Dawkins (I really like Dawkins older books - and I never could get this one as a hardcopy. But I found the ebook! Love my new reader!)

Last edited by drmaxx; 02-06-2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: just added the other books on my reader
drmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #45
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
The first ebook I read was Dracula about 10 years ago. I can't remember if it was from Project Gutenburg or Peanut Press, but I read it on my Handspring Visor. It was the book that caught my eye among the free classics because I was reading a lot of horror stories at that time.
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote