Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-08-2009, 01:53 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Saving a web article to read later

Has anyone had good luck saving a web-based article to read later on a Reader? I have done this with plain text articles but I am wondering how ti would work with pictures. A local newspaper runs a series of home decorating articles which are all on the website and which feature a before picture, an after picture and text. I would love to save these into a collection, like a virtual decorating book. I am wondering what my options are on a Mac. If I save it as an HTML file, can I use Calibre to make it into LRF or epub and will it look fine on my Sony? Or am I better off doing them as PDF files and it may not look 100% on the Sony but I can at least use Calibre to read and organize on my computer? Here is an example of the articles I mean.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:02 AM   #2
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
You could try saving as HTML and convert in calibre, but personally I would copy into Word or something like that and create a PDF that's the right size for the screen. That way, you can also easily avoid all the extraneous content on the page - and it's quite quick once you've decided on which exact page size and layout you prefer. A page of 9x11,5 cm works well IMO. I'm not quite sure why you would think a PDF may not look 100% - or do you mean just print the web page directly to PDF?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:36 AM   #3
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
Man this makes me want to download every article in The Onion. Every. Single. One.
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:37 AM   #4
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose_Appeal View Post
Man this makes me want to download every article in The Onion. Every. Single. One.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:09 AM   #5
sebastienbillard
Connoisseur
sebastienbillard is on a distinguished road

Device: none
If I had technical knowledge, I would make an online html to pdf converter, specially set up for 6 inches screen, ie making pdf files 90*120mm...
sebastienbillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:26 AM   #6
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastienbillard View Post
pdf files 90*120mm...
The menu takes up a bit of the screen - why I've found that 11.5 cm works better.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:34 AM   #7
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Go to the "Print this Page" option. Save it is as "web page complete" or the equivalent in your browser to save the images along with the html. Then use Calibre to convert to the format of your choice. You could also use Sigil to make it into an epub as you tweak it to your preferences. I think epub and pdf are the only ones that will preserve the flow of the text around the pictures.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #8
geneaber
Connoisseur
geneaber doesn't littergeneaber doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
What about using Instapaper to save it (which should strip out the extraneous stuff since it is designed for reading stuff on smart phones)? I have not tried this with an ereader, but it should work.
geneaber is offline   Reply With Quote