Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-02-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
ReadThis
ReadThis began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is there a way to "select all" text in Calibre?

Hi,

I'm working on Calibre with a desktop Mac, and after converting files to .mobi format, find that I cannot "select all" text and copy the contents.

Highlighting and scrolling is possible, just not selecting all text at once, which I thought was curious.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks.
ReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadThis View Post
Hi,

I'm working on Calibre with a desktop Mac, and after converting files to .mobi format, find that I cannot "select all" text and copy the contents.

Highlighting and scrolling is possible, just not selecting all text at once, which I thought was curious.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks.
All Text? Where?

Ctrl-A in the:
spreadsheet selects all Books,
Inside a field (eg inside the comments. All comments) area of the Metadata editor,

In Windows and Ubuntu: the (OS) standard keyboard selection shortcuts usually work

Maybe MAC's don't allow keyboard shortcuts
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
ReadThis

Thanks for the reply.

The 'select all" would be while reading a book itself, not selecting a group of books.

Calibre allows for highlighting and scrolling, but it takes a long time to get to the end of a long book. Minutes, in fact. But I can copy the text.

I read business books and PDFs differently from most. I try to dump the text in a text document, then carve out what I want to save, deleting the rest as I go. By the time I'm done I have scraps of notes in the document, and then when I reread, I can get the key points in a minute or two and I'm done.

To do this I need to be able to get all the text out of that book and into a Word doc, etc.

Thanks again.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

The 'select all" would be while reading a book itself, not selecting a group of books.

Calibre allows for highlighting and scrolling, but it takes a long time to get to the end of a long book. Minutes, in fact. But I can copy the text.

I read business books and PDFs differently from most. I try to dump the text in a text document, then carve out what I want to save, deleting the rest as I go. By the time I'm done I have scraps of notes in the document, and then when I reread, I can get the key points in a minute or two and I'm done.

To do this I need to be able to get all the text out of that book and into a Word doc, etc.

Thanks again.
@Read This - are you saying that Cmd+A does not work on the calibre ebook viewer on a mac - if so then that's surely a bug.

Meanwhile you could convert the book to RTF, and read that in Word.

If you do a search for "copy on select for mac" it may give you some alternatives to do something like what I do with a a gadget called Click.To on Windows

Basically anything I highlight anywhere gets copied to my clipboard (which is extended and filtered by another gadget which you may not need on a Mac), so at the end of reading a text I have a stack of snippets in the clipboard, which I paste en-masse into a new entry in the relevant Evernote notebook - I do any tidy ups there.

My e-reading is similar to yours, politics, business, finance, law, economics etc - I prefer paper when reading for pure pleasure.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
ReadThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Read This - are you saying that Cmd+A does not work on the calibre ebook viewer on a mac - if so then that's surely a bug.
Does not work. If it's a bug, hopefully they'll fix it.

Quote:
Meanwhile you could convert the book to RTF, and read that in Word.
Excellent idea. Just tried it and it's perfect. Exactly what I needed.

Many thanks.

Last edited by ReadThis; 10-02-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Does not work. If it's a bug, hopefully they'll fix it.

Many thanks.
Pleasure was all mine.

BTW it's not a bug, see post 8 from theducks and mine at 9

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-02-2013 at 09:32 PM. Reason: replace launchpad link with BTW
Old 10-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Does this post from Kovid help:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by desimaniac View Post
Hi everyone.

I've searched this up and down and could not find anything referencing this. But after I press COMMAND-D to download metadata, I get some options that have underlined characters, which I presume are meant for shortcuts. But I have tried everything combination (shift, command, alt, option) and cant seem to get them to work.

Any help would be appreciated, as this would greatly improve my speed with organizing my library.
They dont work on OS X, windows or linux only. IIRC OS X's interface guidelines dont allow keyboard accelerators, so Qt does not enable them on OS X.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Select-All is not available (even in Windows) for the book viewer

Copy is a button, not the common keystroke

This must be a limit on the Libraries used by the Viewer
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Select-All is not available (even in Windows) for the book viewer

Copy is a button, not the common keystroke

This must be a limit on the Libraries used by the Viewer
By George you're right, I never looked, I sort of 'assumed' ctrl/a would be there.

I never wanted it as I would have done what I suggested - convert to RTF or put snippets into the clipboard stack via Click.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal

They dont work on OS X, windows or linux only. IIRC OS X's interface guidelines dont allow keyboard accelerators, so Qt does not enable them on OS X.
I sometimes think of getting a Mac, but that's the best reason I've seen to stop - thinking about it.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-02-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Since ebooks can be internally composed of multiple files and the viewer only loads a single file at a time, select all, even if it existed, would not do what you expect. Instead convert the book to txt or rtf, from where extracting all the text is easy.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Since ebooks can be internally composed of multiple files and the viewer only loads a single file at a time, select all, even if it existed, would not do what you expect. Instead convert the book to txt or rtf, from where extracting all the text is easy.
welcome back - I hope the break was pleasant
Old 10-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
welcome back - I hope the break was pleasant
It was
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote