Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-19-2013, 05:50 AM   #31
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
No custom font support too.
epub and Txt
(according to screenies in one of the reviews txt they even managed to f* up plaintext output)
I'd call it selling alpha stage.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:08 AM   #32
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Yet Another E-Ink Tablet

Tolino Shine Hacked

It's been hacked and runs Android 2.3, which is an upgrade on 2.1 which the Nook STR runs. In addition, it has a front-light. I await with interest to see if the root is stable. At 99 euro, it would make a nice little tablet that can be read in sunlight for the tech-savvy. Another question is if it can be run with noflash (i.e. smooth, LCD-like animation). Nate the Great sensibly suggests its based on the Onyx hardware, which I believe is stable as an Android tablet and includes noflash animation. Hmm. I wonder what it would cost to ship from Deutschland.

How long will it be before we start seeing e-readers marketed as e-ink tablets? IMO this would significantly alter the current e-reader market.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:37 AM   #33
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
It's rootable:

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.Uc6Gicqxup0
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
How long will it be before we start seeing e-readers marketed as e-ink tablets? IMO this would significantly alter the current e-reader market.
I suspect that it's a rather small market. How many people would buy a tablet that they couldn't play "Angry Birds" on, or watch videos? We know what eInk devices can and can't do, but the average consumer doesn't. Marketing an eInk device as a general-purpose tablet could really backfire when people found out what a limited range of apps can sensibly be run on it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #35
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
When e-ink gets to the point where you could play Angry Birds on it, then I believe that e-ink will replace LCD.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #36
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
couldn't play "Angry Birds" on,

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
or watch videos?

Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post

Are you seriously suggesting that buyers would find that first demonstration a satisfactory experience? The second is not from a commercially-available devices; it's simply a technology demonstration.

I'm afraid I stand by my view that the typical consumer would not want an eInk device as a general-purpose tablet.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #38
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Harry, I think he was trying to prove your point...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #39
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I had the impression he wasn't trying to prove Harry's point, but I also thought the vids were a nice illustration of a larger point: eink is limited not by what it can do but by what those who control the market feel it does best. Better solutions to color, video and games might have been popularized by now if larger companies felt there was a viable demand or more palatable means.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 06-29-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:15 AM   #40
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post

Which screen technology is it, triton 2 or mirasol?

Video is awesome
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:15 AM   #41
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
Which screen technology is it, triton 2 or mirasol?

Video is awesome
That is a lab demo based on early Triton screen tech.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #42
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That is a lab demo based on early Triton screen tech.
Thank you
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #43
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Anything is possible with Android. Take for instance my $80 3G GoPhone I bought in April (Now less than $50 refurbished). Came with 2.3 Gingerbread, didn't have Live Wallpaper support, and was slow, slow, slow, slow.

Now I have Jelly Bean 4.2, I just finished swiping out the Roboto fonts for the new smoother 4.3 versions that just leaked. I'm also running all the new Google Experience device goodies like the Sunbeam live wallpaper, the camera (which adds so much use to the crappy 3MP one on here), and the new bootanimation.

It's also overclocked, and I still get three day battery life from it. Plus, a majority of games work on it, even the ones made for higher end phones. The only thing is that a select few don't work on the 3.5" screen, but then I also have the Steam version, so that's alright.

If you can get the right people working on it, lots of things are possible.

Optimize this reader for things like Readability, Pocket, Moon Reader, Flipboard, Feedly, and you have it good.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Anything is possible with Android. Take for instance my $80 3G GoPhone I bought in April (Now less than $50 refurbished). Came with 2.3 Gingerbread, didn't have Live Wallpaper support, and was slow, slow, slow, slow.
We're not talking here about differences between versions of Android, but the limitations imposed by the capabilities of the eInk screen. You're never going to be able to sensibly play "Angry Birds" on this device, no matter what version of Android you're running. The screen simply can't do it.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #45
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Seems I have seen the term "convergent technologies."

Any single technology will broaden and eventually encompass all other technologies.

Maybe like the "plague."
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote