Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
Philip36Fld
Enthusiast
Philip36Fld began at the beginning.

Device: none
Library in Calibre Portable

I have just started using Calibre Portable and found that upon first start-up it does not run me through 'Create/switch library,' it comes configured with 'Calibre Library' (I just hate this generic, non-specific, unidentifiable name) as the default.

Now I have three libraries, each one of which is a Calibre library. And yes, all three of them reside on my portable device. I went through 'Create/switch library' for each of the three. I then went through 'Remove library' and followed up with deleting the empty folder.

Wouldn't you just know that when I started Calibre Portable the second time it did not remain pointing to the library I had just defined and was using, it just went ahead with recreating 'Calibre Library' and sat there in an empty library which had been specifically and purposefully removed?

!!???!!
Philip36Fld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre portable is designed to always start with the same library. If you want to use multiple libraries, dont use calibre portable.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
Philip36Fld
Enthusiast
Philip36Fld began at the beginning.

Device: none
Now that makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. What prompted such an arbitrary decision as that one?
Philip36Fld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip36Fld View Post
Now that makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. What prompted such an arbitrary decision as that one?
People that haul around a Library on USB stick tend to use non-dedicated computers (Like Public Library ones) or work ones that do not permit 'foreign' software to be installed.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
iridius
Connoisseur
iridius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone (to get Dell Streak & iPad)
I agree, I use 4 libraries 2 on dropbox and two on my portable drive. If it is not a major change I would definitely like the ability to keep the last library opened as the one that reopens.
iridius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridius View Post
I agree, I use 4 libraries 2 on dropbox and two on my portable drive. If it is not a major change I would definitely like the ability to keep the last library opened as the one that reopens.
Kovid had his reasons fo NOT doing this.

The biggest problem is your type of configuration
Multiple drives that must be inserted, Possible Net access REQUIRED.

KISS use the Last Library (pen) drive to start portable and you automagicaly get the last library
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
Quote:
If you want to use multiple libraries, dont use calibre portable.
I assume it's difficult or time consuming to support this?
As I mentioned in another thread, I use several libraries with calibre portable, I imagine there are others too.
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridius View Post
Moderator Notice
The thread you are posting to is over a year old. This thread is obsolete since calibre is at least 40+ versions removed from the version that existed when the original post was written and changes have been made to the way calibre-portable works since this thread was started.

There was an Old Thread Warning below your reply window that either you didn't see or you chose to ignore. As a general rule necroposting should be avoided. When in doubt start a new thread.
Quote:
Old Thread Warning
Quote:
This thread is quite old and may contain outdated information. We recommend that you begin a new discussion if you like to talk about a similar topic. Of course, you may also proceed and reply here.

Multiple libraries are supported within the calibre portable folder.

Quote:
Release: 0.8.70 [21 Sep, 2012]

New Features
  • Calibre Portable: Add support for multiple libraries created inside the 'Calibre Portable' folder.
Kovid made an appropriate compromise 5 months after the conclusion of this thread that met the described goal of the original poster of this thread. The last library accessed within the calibre portable folder is the library that will get opened when calibre portable starts anew exactly as the OP requested, at least this is what happens for me.

If the last library accessed was outside the calibre portable folder it will not start up because this is calibre portable, you could be on any computer so why look outside of the design of the portable folder structure?

Personally I run calibre portable from my Copy.com cloud storage area and any libraries I access are within the calibre portable folder. If you routinely access libraries outside of this calibre portable structure you might consider running the non-portable version of calibre.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-18-2013 at 09:27 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
I run portable, because there is one, any time I don't have to install to windows I won't, just to have a clean usable OS without loads of process's or files in loads of different places.

So probably not the standard "portable user" so yes I don't use Calibre's portable folder to store my library's (they would be too big to keep in that folder on the occasion I do put it on a usb drive - take too long to transfer etc)

Anyway don't want to labour the issue, Calibre is becoming like Helium Music manager, in so much that I only use it to update metadata. Playing reading and viewing is done elsewhere, in more aesthetic and designed with the user in mind apps.
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote