Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Forum Policy: Special Offers and Tethering

Moderator Notice

Following JNT's suggestion, the deleted posts from the announcement thread have been restored and copied to this thread. This thread's original first post is now further down the thread.

The rest of this post is the original announcement, and the posts that follow are the comments on it, now deleted from the original announcement thread.

The Kindle Forum, and the Kindle Developers' Corner, are places where all matters concerning the Kindle E-readers can be freely discussed, including technical modifications to the devices which - in one way or another - add new functionality.

However, topics which are actively undermining Amazon's business model are not condoned and will be moderated. In particular, this includes threads and posts whose sole topic is about removing the Special Offers from Kindle devices without Amazon's consent, or about modifying Kindles to use their 3G network connectivity from other devices (tethering).

In the long run, "playing by the rules" is beneficial to everyone: people can still get discounted readers (and if they don't like the ads, then they just pay a small fee to remove them), and everybody can enjoy free (albeit limited) Internet access. If a significant portion of the people just abused these features, then sooner or later, they would simply disappear - for everyone.

In that spirit: Please do not discuss tethering or Special Offers removal in detail here. In the long run, these topics will not benefit anyone - on the contrary, they will probably harm us, because Amazon will (probably) simply remove those features, and then nobody can enjoy them.

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-06-2013 at 08:56 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Thanks for this sticky thread. Unfortunately, it has become necessary, as evidenced by the latest firmware update for the Paperwhite kindle. Hopefully, this will create a beneficial path for both Amazon and ourselves, in a way that allows us to continue to add value and features to our kindles, that benefit us and other Amazon customers as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
... If a significant portion of the people just abused these features, then sooner or later, they would simply disappear - for everyone.
For more information about this problem, read about "Tragedy of the Commons" here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
I fully support this. And I agree that it is sad that MR needs a sticky for it. I have to admit though, that with the arrival of the Paperwhite the ad-free version has a huge benefit over the ad-supported discounted version. The wake up feature for the cover without doing anything else but open the cover and you can continue reading is not really good on the special offer kindle. To fully enjoy this you need the ad-free version. I would never dream about paying Amazon to remove the ads on my Kindle Touch - I never see them. On the other hand when I ordered my Paperwhites, I would never dream about getting the Special Offers version. I gladly paid the $20 extra and have the cover work as advertised.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
aarons510
aarons510 began at the beginning.

Device: k3
Apparently, from other discussions here and elsewhere, Amazon has the capability of limiting the quantity of data transmitted via its 3G connection for each user during each month or, I presume, each week, day, hour or minute. Moreover, they can exclude from such limitations the use of 3G for downloads from Amazon itself and other uses of Amazon's choice. As a user of the Kindle Keyboard 3G, I would much rather have my use limited that way than by having to deal, for example, with a crippled browser that no longer allows me to get bus arrival times from my local transit system because their web site now opens such timetables in a secondary (pop-up?) window rather than in a new one replacing the old.
aarons510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons510 View Post
Apparently, from other discussions here and elsewhere, Amazon has the capability of limiting the quantity of data transmitted via its 3G connection for each user during each month or, I presume, each week, day, hour or minute. Moreover, they can exclude from such limitations the use of 3G for downloads from Amazon itself and other uses of Amazon's choice. As a user of the Kindle Keyboard 3G, I would much rather have my use limited that way than by having to deal, for example, with a crippled browser that no longer allows me to get bus arrival times from my local transit system because their web site now opens such timetables in a secondary (pop-up?) window rather than in a new one replacing the old.
There is a currently active discussion in the Dev Corner about hex-editting a lib file used by the web browser, to open popups in the same window. If you do that, your bus schedules should work:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201512

There are also older threads that discussed this some time ago. Here are some good details:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2238081

You really should post in one of those threads. Your post is off-topic in this thread.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I too must - and wish to - support this.

Support.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #7
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I too must - and wish to - support this.

Support.
Even though you are not wearing a "white hat" in your avatar image? It looks rather on the "dark side" to me.

Here, try this one on for size:

Old 01-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
aarons510
aarons510 began at the beginning.

Device: k3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You really should post in one of those threads. Your post is off-topic in this thread.
I had thought, apparently mistakenly, that the limitation on opening browser windows had something to do with Amazon's limiting 3G use by the browser. That is why I thought it was a relevant example here. But thanks for the links.
aarons510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
In that spirit: Please do not discuss tethering or Special Offers removal in detail here. In the long run, these topics will not benefit anyone - on the contrary, they will probably harm us, because Amazon will (probably) simply remove those features, and then nobody can enjoy them.
Because the information on how to modify Kindles to allow tethering has gotten out and has been in heavy use, Amazon has put a data limit on the 3G (It is unlimited for downloading Kindle books an browsing the Kindle store.). That's a consequence of trying to cheat Amazon.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Thank you very much for your sharing your insight.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #11
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because the information on how to modify Kindles to allow tethering has gotten out and has been in heavy use,

Evidence?

Objection your honor, The witness is speculating.

EDIT: And yes, I burned my 3000th post on this.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Evidence?

Objection your honor, The witness is speculating.

EDIT: And yes, I burned my 3000th post on this.
Why else do you think Amazon would have taken away a feature of the Kindle that nobody else has?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why else do you think Amazon would have taken away a feature of the Kindle that nobody else has?
Luring customers for one thing. Why do you think that even the browser on the PW is labeled experimental when it only works on wifi? This way nobody can complain that the browser disappers from one day to the next.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:11 AM   #14
Abradoks
Abradoks can read faster than his screen refreshesAbradoks can read faster than his screen refreshesAbradoks can read faster than his screen refreshesAbradoks can read faster than his screen refreshesAbradoks can read faster than his screen refreshesAbradoks can read faster than his screen refreshesAbradoks can read faster than his screen refreshesAbradoks can read faster than his screen refreshesAbradoks can read faster than his screen refreshesAbradoks can read faster than his screen refreshesAbradoks can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kindle Touch
If something can be abused, it will be abused.
This policy only shows your fear of Amazon and intent to use censorship whenever it serves your purpose.
Your efforts to 'make peace' with lab126 obviously failed. They continue to increase obfuscation and fix jailbreak vectors. Which is, by the way, completely expected, as they don't [care] about you, your work or your wishes.
On the other hand, the only attempt to compromise with Big Brother and restriction of discussed topics to what interests you personally is [an insult to] hacker community.

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-06-2013 at 08:58 AM. Reason: edited to comply with posting guidelines
Abradoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #15
twobob

Offering personal opinion as fact. This way always being correct lies.

It's a policy. Live with it.