Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #16
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Managing Collections with PRS+ ???

Ah yes, the emulation option. I don't have emulation software installed on my Mac, but I'll look into that.

In the meantime, I'm wondering how PRS+ handles sorting and collections.

Can you sort books manually when using PRS+?

Also, does it play nice with Sony Reader Library software? (the old "Reader Library" software, not the new "Reader for PC/Mac" that's giving everyone problems) I use Reader Library to manage my collections.

Thanks!
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #17
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I've never owned a Mac, but I'm sure there's a way to do it, there are many users on the forums that have PRS+ installed.
Borrow someone's Windows computer for five minutes?
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #18
Garry Lancaster
Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Sony PRS-650; TrekStor Pyrus Mini
If you have (or can beg/borrow/steal) a Windows installation CD, you can download Oracle's VirtualBox, install windows into that and then run the PRS+ installer inside it.
Garry Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #19
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I'm no longer sure what is the same as original Sony firmware, but you still sort books pretty much the same way. Collections are listed alphabetically, then within each collection you can sort by added order, date, title, author, or file name. But PRS+ also gives you a "browse folder" option which is very nice to find a specific author depending on how you sort your collections.

I don't remember the last time I've used the Sony Reader Library, I use Calibre only. Within Calibre, any tag you assign to a book automatically becomes a collection with that tag name on the Sony reader. I'm sure others have used PRS+ very nicely though with the Sony Reader Library without any issues.

And yes, you can still manually swap books between collections with PRS+, although I've never found a reason to bother doing it since Calibre manages that so nicely.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #20
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
I'm no longer sure what is the same as original Sony firmware, but you still sort books pretty much the same way. Collections are listed alphabetically, then within each collection you can sort by added order, date, title, author, or file name.
That's the same as the original.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:14 AM   #21
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Borrow someone's Windows computer for five minutes?
Now there's an idea :-D

Thanks everyone for the tips & info!
Old 10-13-2011, 02:31 AM   #22
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I was tempted by T1 (in the same way I'm tempted by almost any new ereader aside of Kindle ), but after reading the reviews about it, finding the difficulties of migrating PRS to it (I've even customized my PRS for getting series in the library, something I missed from my Opus), remembering that, although it has wifi and I get books from libraries and bookshop, I always have to "fix" books for my likes, and knowing I've sold a PRS-650 because I thought it was too much big, I stick with my PRS-350 and I've got a second-handed pink 350 with original pink cover (120€).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:48 AM   #23
hefolsom
hefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-T1
For what it's worth: I had a 350; it broke; they were no longer available nearby; I got a T1. I'm happy with it, but I also really wanted wifi. I do miss how teeny the 350 was.

Upsides of the T1: wifi, wifi, wifi. And better PDF handling (not just because it's a bigger screen; the scrolling and zooming work more smoothly). Also, I think better freeform writing with the stylus. I've had no trouble with the software; if anything it seems more stable to me.

Downsides of the T1: it's bigger (tho not much heavier!). And I miss the metal frame. Stylus not integrated.

If either of the upsides are tempting to you, I'd say hold it in your hand, try some page turns, and see how it feels.
hefolsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #24
pssquirrel
ebooknut

Nevermind

Last edited by pssquirrel; 08-25-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #25
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Really try to borrow a Windows PC to get PRS+ installed. I think that will breathe new life into your 350 for you once you get the hang of changing fonts and see the other options PRS+ gives you. Someone with a Mac correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it just the first install of PRS+ that requires Windows, and after that you can just unpack the updates and place the files where needed (at least that's what it seemed after reading the text file), so you won't always be tied to having to use a Windows PC after the first install.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #26
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I don't have a Mac, but it is true that you only need to run the Windows .exe file the first time you install PRS+.

Subsequent updates just require you to unzip the update directory to root of internal memory then restart reader. You will then need to reconnect the reader to PC to delete the update directory. I don't see that any of these actions would require Windows
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:01 AM   #27
pssquirrel
ebooknut

Quote:
Really try to borrow a Windows PC to get PRS+ installed ...
Yes, I'm trying!

In the meantime, I've never updated the firmware on my 350 -- still using the original 1.0.00.08100

Since I never had any problems with it, I went with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy and skipped the firmware update to 1.0.00.14080.

Do I need to update to the latest firmware before installing PRS+?

Last edited by pssquirrel; 08-25-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:06 AM   #28
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Yes, the latest PRS+ requires the latest Sony firmware to be installed. I was hesitant as well for the same reason, but it was a painless process when I finally gave in and did it.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #29
darex2
darex2 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350 (and PRS-505; for sale)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I understand that your 350 did not have audio, but it's not a "new" feature for Sonys as the 650 and 950 had the same thing.
Even the PRS-505 had audio (not that I ever used that feature or cared).
darex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #30
pssquirrel
ebooknut

Quote:
Really try to borrow a Windows PC to get PRS+ installed ...
I think I can get my hands on an old PC this week, but it's running an old version of Windows -- XP maybe? Will Windows XP work?

Last edited by pssquirrel; 10-15-2011 at 04:11 PM.