Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you like sex/love scenes in the stories you read?
No nookie for me. I don't want to go there. 36 12.29%
Love scenes are fine if they contribute to characterization and plot. 165 56.31%
I really enjoy sexuality in fiction. 46 15.70%
Some sex is OK but only in small doses. 38 12.97%
Love scenes are why I read! 8 2.73%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2011, 03:09 PM   #31
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Eh. It depends on the book, really. Generally, it doesn't bother me.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #32
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A book like "Pride and Prejudice" without love scenes (love scenes - not graphic sex) would be meaningless.

You must have read a very special edition of this book . I would have thought that "Pride and Prejudice" is the perfect example for telling a nice love story without having sex scenes in it.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:11 PM   #33
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
You must have read a very special edition of this book . I would have thought that "Pride and Prejudice" is the perfect example for telling a nice love story without having sex scenes in it.
You must not have heard of the unrated edition.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:15 PM   #34
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
This special edition exists (and was free for Kindle a month or so ago, but they're charging for it now).
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:16 PM   #35
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
You must not have heard of the unrated edition.

Obviously I haven't.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #36
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
This pretty much sums up my views on the subject

orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:25 PM   #37
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Speaking of which - I've not seen a thread here devoted to the more adult themed read. The only author that comes to mind is Harold Robbins (I think). I remember seeing a few of his books next to my Aunt's bed when I was younger - too young to be reading what he wrote , anyway (not that it stopped me from trying).
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:34 PM   #38
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
You're right - it 'd be nice to see such one.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:03 PM   #39
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Harold Robbins wrote some very good books & I loved the sex in them. I still have some of his pb. I wish they were out as ebooks I'd scoop them right up.

All of this tells you were I stand with sex in books. If I want to be bored, I'll read a non fiction book.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:07 PM   #40
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Harold Robbins wrote some very good books & I loved the sex in them. I still have some of his pb. I wish they were out as ebooks I'd scoop them right up.

All of this tells you were I stand with sex in books. If I want to be bored, I'll read a non fiction book.
They are available as e-books...for the Kindle anyway. Kindle Editions
Old 03-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #41
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Speaking of which - I've not seen a thread here devoted to the more adult themed read. The only author that comes to mind is Harold Robbins (I think). I remember seeing a few of his books next to my Aunt's bed when I was younger - too young to be reading what he wrote , anyway (not that it stopped me from trying).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post

I went ahead and created a "Adult Themed Books" thread.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #42
GoblinWriter
vizsla wrangler
GoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle 3G
Depends on the genre for me.

If I pick up a science fiction romance, and it's obvious from the book blurb there are going to be two characters falling in love, then I know what I'm getting myself into, and it's fine. Everything is set up for the story to go there, if ya know what I mean.

If I'm picking up a science fiction adventure and I'm caught off guard because the author didn't set up a romance, or it's a very minor part of the plot, then I'm probably going to be annoyed the story went into graphic details.

Also, the more familiar I am with the characters (i.e. if it's a series and I've known them a while), the less I want to read about their bedroom relations.
GoblinWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:21 PM   #43
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
When they work - I thoroughly enjoy them - when they don't I can't stand them.

The same holds for fight scenes, action scenes, talk scenes, and any other scenes.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:11 PM   #44
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I find that they can be rather appealing. If it is part of the story, it can flesh out the characters, so to speak and make the book more real. Just keep it to the point.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:43 PM   #45
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I find that they can be rather appealing. If it is part of the story, it can flesh out the characters, so to speak and make the book more real. Just keep it to the point.
The Gaea series by John Varley is kind of like that... It's a SF trilogy (maybe some would call it space opera) and there are just a few sex scenes but all serve the plot in getting to know the characters, and are mostly non-graphic except for some interesting insinuations which set you thinking. For example there's a scene with the main character (a women) and a male shipmate in a spaceship in space and the writer mentions they're in zero-G (which gets you thinking about how it would be in zero-G). Than there's a scene with a male character and a female centaur (sentient centaur to be clear, with 2 female organs and 1 male organ) and the writer says the male character wasn't gay but... (which gets you thinking how exactly a strait guy has sex with a female centaur with 2 female organs and 1 male).
Then there's a lesbian scene between the main character and a female friend of hers in a kind of organic cave, basically a hole in the wall tissue of the living world they're in... There's also a mention of a non-character nympho girl who cums when you touch her forehead (she's genetically engineered) although it's not directly stated with that word (it would be interesting if women like that existed in reality , maybe even to be like that) and some lesbo-incest sex between a couple of minor-character twins in the beginning.
It may sound from this description like there's a lot of sex in this book but it's really only a passing mention and not central to the main plots. It's like this - people need to breathe, eat, drink, have sex and do other things - even if they're characters in a book you happen to be reading, and just bypassing all that just makes it less realistic.
Plus SF sex can really give you some weird ideas. Like in Miles Vorkosigan there's mention of sex between a human and a humanoid girl with 4 arms and no legs (the arms being in place of legs), and also I think Miles does it with a female werewolf (kind of, genetically engineered). I only really regretted he never got it on with his childhood sweetheart (they almost did it once but were interrupted, and I felt almost as frustrated as him ).

P.S.
Thinking about lesbo twins and one-touch-cum-nympho girls has gotten me kind of hot and flustered, especially with the lascive, lurid and kinky statements made above by the German babe...
Now I'm like

Last edited by Enkidu of Abydos; 03-31-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
love scenes, poll, sex scenes