Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

View Poll Results: Pick your favorite MobileRead logo entries.
Full 48 19.59%
Full 4 1.63%
Full 27 11.02%
Full 21 8.57%
Full 22 8.98%
Full 32 13.06%
Full 9 3.67%
Full 4 1.63%
Full 14 5.71%
Full 20 8.16%
Full 6 2.45%
Full 14 5.71%
Full 45 18.37%
Full 66 26.94%
Full 13 5.31%
Full 67 27.35%
Full 4 1.63%
Full 6 2.45%
Full 12 4.90%
Full 42 17.14%
Full 17 6.94%
Full 20 8.16%
Full 23 9.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #61
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ohhhh... vision... fading... ears... filling up with... grey hairs... uhhrrrr...
Old 01-23-2008, 01:48 PM   #62
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Sooo... let's have fun, fun, fun, 'til the modder takes the logos away! (fun fun until the modder takes the logos aw) Oo-eeeeee-oo-eeeeeeeeeeooooo....
*I* knew what he was talking about, as soon as I read it. The tune sprang into my head, and I started humming it.

Umm. I guess that shows my age, doesn't it. Forget I said anything.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #63
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Ohhhh... vision... fading... ears... filling up with... grey hairs... uhhrrrr...
But wait! There's more.... I forgot...

Old 01-23-2008, 06:18 PM   #64
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

So...this is probably not a good time to point out the ones coming out of your nostrils then, huh?

Cheers,
Marc (who remembers the song, but can't remember where he put his mobile phone down)
Old 01-23-2008, 06:55 PM   #65
ste9hen
ste9hen began at the beginning.

Device: sony mobile
my designs

I would like some comments on why people think that none of my designs made the voting (they are at the top of the original entry thread).

i thought at least one of mine met the brief well, where as some of those that did make it are too complicated and cluttered.

feel to also comment on other peoples designs that did not make it.

those whos did, are any of you based outside the US?
Old 01-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #66
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste9hen View Post
I would like some comments on why people think that none of my designs made the voting (they are at the top of the original entry thread).

i thought at least one of mine met the brief well, where as some of those that did make it are too complicated and cluttered.

feel to also comment on other peoples designs that did not make it.

those whos did, are any of you based outside the US?
I think that your logo that looks like a guy reading a book on rollerskates was a bit cartoonish. The same for your flying book logos. As for your Logos on wheels submissions I can only say that they did not work for me.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2008, 09:23 PM   #67
msainar
msainar began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
I like the cartoon looking ones. I think the robot with the heart is cute. I like to read manga on my reader, so it would fit in. I think the wheelie one is the most fun.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:53 PM   #68
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste9hen View Post
I think that discussion would be interesting, but it would be better placed in the other thread you started on a similar subject. I've copied your and Madam Broshkina's posts over there so that it can carry on without missing a beat.

Here's the link: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19456
Old 01-24-2008, 08:00 AM   #69
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
While we're apparently talking about submissions that we aren't voting on, I went back through the thread from August and see this one that I thought was quite unique at the time and still do. It shows a device that clearly does not exist and yet it simply shows what we're about - reading on a mobile device. Of course, you have to imagine it with the proper words displayed on the transparent screen and in the right format, transparency, etc. But that's just an embellishment. I thought it was cool idea and am surprised it didn't make the cut. I'm not complaining. I'm just really surprised.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Logo-Mobile-Read-anim%C3%A9-smal.gif
Views:	445
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	9515  
Old 01-24-2008, 08:05 AM   #70
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
-I- think that this entire logo deal thing should be wrapped up as quickly as possible because it is degenerating in ... I do not know what.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:19 AM   #71
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
While we're apparently talking about submissions that we aren't voting on, I went back through the thread from August and see this one that I thought was quite unique at the time and still do. It shows a device that clearly does not exist and yet it simply shows what we're about - reading on a mobile device. Of course, you have to imagine it with the proper words displayed on the transparent screen and in the right format, transparency, etc. But that's just an embellishment. I thought it was cool idea and am surprised it didn't make the cut. I'm not complaining. I'm just really surprised.
Well, when I look at it I see a hand holding something imaginary, but it doesn't necessarily suggest reading on a handheld device to me. Also, the contest was to develop something that would render as a graphic, and this is clearly a photo. It's harder to convert a photo into a graphic icon , or to convert it into 1-2 colors, and still have it legible at any size. That's my guess as to why it didn't make the cut.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:36 AM   #72
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Thanks very much vivaldirules!

I'd say first that the idea was not submitted to the contest, therefore it can not be judged. That participation date has gone now...
Second, I did not wish to enter since I like my Sony more than the Kindle. (I'll get whipped for that one)
And third, the most important, it did not fit several important criteriae for participation, being:
Simplicity of display for paper letter heads.
Static nature (I still think MR being web based should innovate).
Should display well in black&white (this is real important because the MR logo should be in every fine book that all people around here took time to reformat)

Personnally again, I don't think we should limit ourselves to B&W, because almost all printers are sold for colo(u)r, we're web based, they don't sell any more B&W monitors, and most companies and entities have colo(u)red logos.

Faxes are going out because they're limited. They are done with. I do all my remote business with email and now use the bloody thing about twice a year, hey, the thing doesn't get spammed anymore!?! Why care about it?

Even if most/all eink devices are B&W, colo(u)r will be here soon and replace all of them. Shouldn't the books we prepare be ready for them? And so should we be.

Be bold! Sorry if I've offended anyone!

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 01-24-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #73
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Well, when I look at it I see a hand holding something imaginary, but it doesn't necessarily suggest reading on a handheld device to me. Also, the contest was to develop something that would render as a graphic, and this is clearly a photo. It's harder to convert a photo into a graphic icon , or to convert it into 1-2 colors, and still have it legible at any size. That's my guess as to why it didn't make the cut.
Easily fixed. Half inch rounded corners and a black line all around the blue.
The text inside also gives a good hint. Its all a matter of developping the idea further.

Pictures can be used as logos and are. I think artwork is stubbornly limiting. Why is it a law? Who says so? Today's business mediae are apt to follow.

It's all in a 'passé' mentality. Lets be bold!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #74
renderstudio
renderstudio began at the beginning.

Device: nokia 770, Electrovaya Scribbler
I think I am way too emotionally invested in this to really comment. This is why I could never be a real graphic designer, I have started to worry about he feelings of my little robot guy.
Or maybe it's 'cause I teach 5th graders about computers, so the pool of people that I commonly engage in discourse with have no fear about feeling stuff.

I really got a kick with people talking about improvements to my submission. I would enjoy working on it more. I have these ideas for little animated gifs. If the site admins would post them, I would make versions of the little robot as avatar choices.
Of course then If nobody chose them I would start feeling bad about the feelings of other non-existent animated creatures.
Maybe I should stick with 5th graders. Less anxiety.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:49 PM   #75
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Well, I'm just reiterating the contest rules as I recall them... I'm not judging (nor did I pick which logos would make the first cut).

It was up to MR to judge the first cut, based on their criteria... not everyone could make the first cut, just as not everyone can win. That's why it's a contest, guys!
Closed Thread