Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
A call for epic poetry/prose recommendations!

May I add the following peer
Of poetry great and small?
Tho I read but little rhyme
'Twas enjoyed in all its thrall
Of Coleridge, Samuel Taylor
Do I speak, with his maritime Rime
Of sea and spirit and sailor
Didst he write and I did find the time!
And so I beg to members here
E'en though you may not read
The poets great of times gone by
You give their names some heed
And if you know of poems alike
The one which I descrie
Wouldst that thou inform me here
So that then I might them try?
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I read Eric Brighteyes long, long ago. It was written in the style of an Icelandic saga (I think).

The book is public domain so there's probably a way to read as an ebook.

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Strongly recommend Under Milk Wood available here in the Patricia Clark memorial library
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
The Kalevala.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalevala

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5186
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:19 AM   #5
Cyclops
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Hmm that makes me think of Sibelius. Finnish?
Old 10-25-2010, 05:22 AM   #6
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRM View Post
I read Eric Brighteyes long, long ago. It was written in the style of an Icelandic saga (I think).

The book is public domain so there's probably a way to read as an ebook.

-David
Hmmm, never heard of it-must google!
Old 10-25-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson will be available at Amazon.com on December 1.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Long-Ships...tag=inkmesh-20

A review by Michael Chabon:
http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2...he-long-ships/
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson will be available at Amazon.com on December 1.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Long-Ships...tag=inkmesh-20

A review by Michael Chabon:
http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2...he-long-ships/
Oh I don't want to buy e-books-i want them free!
But seriously, I wouldn't buy a book I knew nothing about, and if I had to spend money on a book it would be a real book.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Hmm that makes me think of Sibelius. Finnish?
No, to be honest. I started them once a long time ago (a two-volume HB set I found at a flea market) but still haven't Finnished them.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:31 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Strongly recommend Under Milk Wood available here in the Patricia Clark memorial library
Great poem, but in no way whatsoever an epic.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:35 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmmm, never heard of it-must google!
The author is Sir Henry Rider Haggard. It's contained in Volume 8 of my series of Haggard anthologies here at MR.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:46 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There are of course three "definitive" epics which I'd recommend everyone to read: Homer's "Iliad" and "Odyssey", and Virgil's "Aeneid". They are among the cornerstones of Western literature.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #13
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The author is Sir Henry Rider Haggard. It's contained in Volume 8 of my series of Haggard anthologies here at MR.
Ah yea H Rider Haggard, King Solonmon's Mines, She etc. I have the former on my shelf.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #14
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There are of course three "definitive" epics which I'd recommend everyone to read: Homer's "Iliad" and "Odyssey", and Virgil's "Aeneid". They are among the cornerstones of Western literature.
They would probably go right over my head!
Old 10-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
They would probably go right over my head!
Not at all. They are all great stories! The Odyssey, especially, is an absolutely wonderful adventure story. I'd recommend the Richard Lattimore translation - it really preserves the "feel" of the Greek original. Your username here - Cyclops; the story of the Cyclops is from the Odyssey.

Tags
poem, poetry, prose