Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #1
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Good grip for one-handed page turns

This is probably a big DUH for long-time Kindle users, but I'm new to this game and so are many others.

I'm finding that the grip shown below works well for page turns during one-handed reading. Rest your thumb so that it straddles both the Next Page and Previous Page buttons. To avoid inadvertent page turns, position the thumb slightly towards the screen. A slight rocking motion of the thumb, down or up, turns the page, while your hand (and the Kindle itself) remains stationary.

Many have wondered whether the K3's page-turn buttons are too small. With this grip they feel just right -- spacious, even.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KINDLE1.JPG
Views:	394
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	57506  
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Very nice find - they should have put it in the manual.

Still it would have been nice to find a good one handed grip for right the right hand.

My bet is that in Kindle 4 big paging buttons are coming back
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:20 AM   #3
notatoad
Enthusiast
notatoad began at the beginning.

Device: Graphite Kindle 3G
could you not do the same thing with the right hand?
notatoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:29 AM   #4
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by notatoad View Post
could you not do the same thing with the right hand?
Right. I mean, correct.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:41 AM   #5
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I tried that, but I found after a while that it gets somewhat tiring (and makes my wrist sore). You have all that unsupported weight at the top of the Kindle producing torque.

But then again, I presumably have bigger hands/longer fingers and have to hold it closer to the bottom to get my thumb in that position.

What I do is sort of cradle it in my left hand, my thumb up at the top of the screen, and then use my pinky (which curls under over to the right side) to press the button. Which works, but isn't that comfortable and has a tendency to twist the Kindle. So mostly I use my right hand to press the button.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:47 AM   #6
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
I wish I could use that same posture in a reclined position. If you're laying in bed reading, holding it above your face, it's nearly impossible to keep it balanced in that stance. I have to put my thumb below the screen, then I can reach over with the knuckle of my index finger to change pages. Interestingly enough, though, that method of changing pages makes the click about as loud as a k2.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn

True, it's hard to hold any one grip for a long time, especially a one-handed grip. Supporting the Kindle with the other hand helps. But for extended reading sessions, you need a repertory.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viseguy View Post
True, it's hard to hold any one grip for a long time, especially a one-handed grip. Supporting the Kindle with the other hand helps. But for extended reading sessions, you need a repertory.
Agreed. Even with my Sony 300 I have to switch hands during a prolonged reading session.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Even better

Even better is the Kindle 6" stand available here:

http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Position...0&sr=8-2-fkmr2
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

I really like the smaller buttons. They don't get in the way or get accidentally pushed. I think the big buttons like the K2 has would dominate the bezel and make it more difficult to handle with one hand.

I usually hold mine with my thumb resting between the screen and keypad. But everyone is correct that any one position after a few minutes is uncomfortable and that goes with all readers. I too have to change the position of my grip ever few minutes. But I have mild carpel tunnel and arthritis.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post

Too bad the monitor goggles, or whatever they called them, gave people bad headaches. It would be great to put on a pair of glasses and have the book image projected onto them. But alas, I don't need any more headaches!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post

I use this. About $5-$7 more than it should be but very effective and compact. It works a little better on the K2 because of the larger bezel and because the micro-USB port is in the middle, but still works fine on the K3, it just has to be positioned a little more precisely.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #13
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn

Not for nothing am I called Viseguy.

N.B. The vise is not tightened -- the Kindle is just leaning against the jaws. Works quite nicely -- and cheap, if you happen already to have a vise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KINDLE3.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	57541