Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 12-02-2020, 04:31 AM   #31
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Actually, reinstalling seems to work on iPad Pro, just having to go through the dance of reinstalling a few custom fonts and restoring books from iPhone backup...
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:52 AM   #32
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Curious for those with Marvin crashing on start, how many books do you have stored in Marvin? Just wondering if it was perhaps an out of memory issue or something related to database migration. Also, do you have Launch to last book enabled?

I haven't encountered the crash on start issue on the devices I did upgrade to iOS 14 but those had much smaller Marvin libraries compared to my main devices.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #33
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I did have launch to last book enabled, and I have around 400 books.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:24 PM   #34
cyou
cyou began at the beginning.

Device: Marvin 3 on iPad & iPhone
Just upgraded to 14.3 on both iPad Pro 11" (2020) and iPhone XS Max.

iPad Pro has no problem opening Marvin 3, everything is working fine.

For the iPhone XS Max, it crashes as soon as I try to open it. Finally got it the problem fix by deleting the app and reinstalling it. However, I've lost all my books after reinstalling Marvin 3.

Luckily, I have a 3 months old Backup (marvin.m3backup) in Dropbox, not as current as I wish but better than nothing.

-- In your iPhone, open Dropbox & find the backup file (marvin.m3backup), tap the "..." next to the file and choose Export.
-- A new popup window will appear and choose "Open In..." and it will get the file prepared to be exported.
-- Once the preparation process has complete, a new window will pop up, you then choose Marvin and the file will be exported to Marvin.
-- A popup window will then show up in Marvin app and just follow the instructions there to restore the file.

The only thing missing are all the settings, e.g. themes, fonts... but the bookmarks & annotations are restored properly and everything is working fine.

Hope this help and also hope you have saved a backup before upgrading your devices.

Cheers
cyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:26 PM   #35
steelrat
steelrat began at the beginning.

Device: ipad-marvin3
I use an iPad Pro, and iPhone both on 12.2. I have been having sync issues. So I backed up both databases, uploaded both to Dropbox, and iCloud (via the files app).

On the iPhone deleted Marvin and all data. Reinstalled and then used the same method to restore the iPad backup. Syncing is now working as designed.

At the same time, I used a USB cable, and MacBook to use the new “finder” based tools in Catalina to pull all the books I have out of Marvin. When you are browsing the device, on of the tabs had apps, and you can expand to see what’s stored inside of Marvin. Click and drag worked to copy/paste and repopulate calibre after a hard disk failure and loss of a chunk of my library.
steelrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2021, 11:13 AM   #36
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrat View Post
I use an iPad Pro, and iPhone both on 12.2. I have been having sync issues. So I backed up both databases, uploaded both to Dropbox, and iCloud (via the files app).

On the iPhone deleted Marvin and all data. Reinstalled and then used the same method to restore the iPad backup. Syncing is now working as designed.

At the same time, I used a USB cable, and MacBook to use the new “finder” based tools in Catalina to pull all the books I have out of Marvin. When you are browsing the device, on of the tabs had apps, and you can expand to see what’s stored inside of Marvin. Click and drag worked to copy/paste and repopulate calibre after a hard disk failure and loss of a chunk of my library.
Can you use a usb cable to connect the ipad to windows and pull books from windows to the ipad?
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:51 AM   #37
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Can you use a usb cable to connect the ipad to windows and pull books from windows to the ipad?
With Marvin, yes via iTunes.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:01 PM   #38
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
With Marvin, yes via iTunes.
Thanks, I've tried itunes and it doesn't work very good on my old computer. I guess I can use Content Server on Calibre, but I'd really like 2 way sync.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:08 AM   #39
steelrat
steelrat began at the beginning.

Device: ipad-marvin3
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I haven't used the windows version of itunes in quite a while unfortunately. What I can tell you... in macos (the last 2 versions) the itunes app was replace with individual applications for "video", music, podcasts. The older part of cable connected backup/restore/upgrades, etc all moved into the "finder" (aka windows explorer) app. So it's native.

As long as you can still get something like this:

Which I have borrowed from a support article. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT210598

Basically on the mac, in the "files" section, it had marvin as one of the applications. With the click and drag, I was able to basically grab all the books and move them into a empty folder. Then I can work through the re-importing them into a new blank calibre database....
steelrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:13 AM   #40
peaceridge
Guru

Thanks, steelrat. I've decided to just go with Content Server from Windows to Marvin. I'l keep a list on the ipad of books read, then update Calibre by hand. Not efficient, but workable.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:34 AM   #41
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
Unhappy Marvin 3 not working with iOS 14.4

I just updated my iPhone to iOS 14.4 last night and now Marvin 3 won't open. I peeked at my old original Marvin and Gerty and both open just fine. I just happen to prefer Marvin 3 as it does what I need.

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting it to open or am I dead in the water?

Are there any other similar ebook readers that anyone can suggest or can you point me in the direction of where that discussion is.

Thank you!
Shykat
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:49 AM   #42
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
I just updated my iPhone to iOS 14.4 last night and now Marvin 3 won't open. I peeked at my old original Marvin and Gerty and both open just fine. I just happen to prefer Marvin 3 as it does what I need.

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting it to open or am I dead in the water?
Marvin should work fine. Try re-installing the app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
Are there any other similar ebook readers that anyone can suggest or can you point me in the direction of where that discussion is.

Thank you!
Shykat

No - there are no similar ebook readers. Marvin is light years ahead of #2
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:37 AM   #43
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Marvin should work fine. Try re-installing the app.

No - there are no similar ebook readers. Marvin is light years ahead of #2
Thank you! I deleted and re-installed it and it now works!!! I agree completely that Marvin 3 has been the best ereader I have ever found.

It worked but I lost the settings I had but I've got them all back to where I like them with the exception of: The color scheme. I have the main screen as the Dark but when reading the books, it still has the white background with the black text. I usually read with a black background and white/light gray text.

I've been using Marvin 3 for so long, I can't remember if I had purchased the different color settings available.

I really just want to get back to having the background when reading my books to black with the white text and I'll be darned if I can find that setting. I tried the Restore Previous tips but I must not have paid before as it didn't restore. LOL I just can't figure out if that is what I need to do to get my preferred reading settings of black background and white text.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:44 AM   #44
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I don't have my phone with me, but I think there is a setting for background/text color in the book's settings.

If you have Publisher's settings turned on then it may be that the book itself has CSS defining the color??
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:20 AM   #45
Shykat
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I don't have my phone with me, but I think there is a setting for background/text color in the book's settings.
I did more poking and prodding.... inside a book, you click the Aa to open where you can adjust the text size. On the bar at the bottom of the window that opens, the second icon from the right is a pen with an A. Clicking that opens where you can change it the Day (light colors) to the Night (reversed colors).

Happy camper now!!