Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Instructions for patching firmware 4.11.11982

This patch thread is for firmware 4.11.11982 (83d4c9392f4b2521a3db406c2dd5fe11460a6da6).

Instructions for patching on Windows, Linux, or macOS with kobopatch:
  1. Download the firmware from here.
  2. Download and unzip kobopatch_4.11.11982.zip from here.
  3. Copy the original firmware you just downloaded into the kobopatch src folder.
  4. Install the firmware on your kobo BEFORE proceeding with the next steps.
  5. Enable patches in the files in the src folder (or use the overrides in kobopatch.yaml to keep your options separate).
  6. Run kobopatch.bat on Windows, or kobopatch.sh on Linux.
  7. If the patching succeeded, a file named KoboRoot.tgz will be created in the out folder. Copy it to the .kobo folder of your device.
  8. Safely remove your device.

Download

See the kobopatch - An improved patching system thread for more details.

Last edited by geek1011; 11-13-2018 at 09:58 AM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:49 PM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Changes to the kobopatch zip:
v49 (2019-06-09): New "ePub uniform font scale" patch (GeoffR).
v41 (2019-02-06): Redid the 3 libadobe patches which have been missing for over a year (@geek1011): "Keep PDF pan position between page turns", "Remove PDF page turn arrows", and "Remove PDF map widget shown during panning".
v40 (2019-02-03): New "Disable all tutorial dialogs" patch (@geek1011), updated kobopatch to v0.13.0 (FindBaseAddressSymbol, ReplaceBytesAtSymbol).
v31 (2018-11-17): New "Always show confirmation dialog before upgrading" and "Set reading footer height" patches by geek1011
v30 (2018-11-16): New "Both page turn sides go next" patch by geek1011
v29 (2018-11-12): Initial release for 4.11.11982

Missing patches:
- None anymore since v41!

Patches for other files:
- PROGRESSIVE-H by @jcn363: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=24

Notes about this firmware version:
- Although this firmware is meant for the Forma, I have tested this on my Aura Edition 2 v1. You should be able to install it on any device.

New patches in this version:
- libnickel: Both page turn sides go next (by geek1011)
- Also quite a few in the last version.

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-10-2019 at 04:43 AM.
Advert
Old 11-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
geek1011
Wizard

As usual, my own kobopatch config can be found here: https://github.com/geek1011/kobopatch-config .
Old 11-13-2018, 12:31 AM   #4
mountian
mountian began at the beginning.

Device: kobo forma
"Custom reading footer style:" in the "nickel" file be useful to the kobo forma? there are only suggestion about the offset of the machine like aura one, glo....
mountian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:10 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountian View Post
"Custom reading footer style:" in the "nickel" file be useful to the kobo forma? there are only suggestion about the offset of the machine like aura one, glo....
You can treat it as an Aura One, that works fine for me.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2018, 07:04 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Is it possible to get a patch that sets which menu option comes up by default when you click on the bottom while reading (for kepubs). In this firmware, it seems to always come up with the navigation menu; in the older firmware version I was using on my Glo HD, it would come up with what last selected.

My first choice would be what was last selected. My second choice would be the graph menu.

Thanks. And thank you and great work on the patches!
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:27 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
You can already lock it in portrait or landscape, but it still flips (when locked in portrait, as I have it set) between right- and left-handed mode, i.e. buttons on the right vs. buttons on the left.

Would it be possible to lock that too, in some way?
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:40 AM   #8
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Is it possible to get a patch that sets which menu option comes up by default when you click on the bottom while reading (for kepubs). In this firmware, it seems to always come up with the navigation menu; in the older firmware version I was using on my Glo HD, it would come up with what last selected.

My first choice would be what was last selected. My second choice would be the graph menu.

I noticed this too, it is better to come up what last selected. I remembered that the old firmware was designed like this.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:03 AM   #9
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:

v4.11.11980 behaves the same way yet after patching it works the way you want it to, the last selected bottom menu comes up instead of the navigation one all the time. I am not sure which patch it is though that does this as I have several patches installed. Maybe it is a bonus of having the "increase size of kepub chapter progress chart" patch, but I really don't know.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:28 AM   #10
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
v4.11.11980 behaves the same way yet after patching it works the way you want it to, the last selected bottom menu comes up instead of the navigation one all the time. I am not sure which patch it is though that does this as I have several patches installed. Maybe it is a bonus of having the "increase size of kepub chapter progress chart" patch, but I really don't know.
So the patches made it that way. I'll test it when I have time.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:

My first choice would be what was last selected.
I've just installed 4.11.11982 on a ClaraHD (no patches yet), so I tested this.

I'm not seeing any problems of this nature. The <->, Aa and barchart pop-ups are all "sticky" for me in kepubs. In epubs the first two are "sticky".

I'm not anticipating that installing my patches will change this, but if it does I'll edit this post.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:51 PM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I've just installed 4.11.11982 on a ClaraHD (no patches yet), so I tested this.

I'm not seeing any problems of this nature. The <->, Aa and barchart pop-ups are all "sticky" for me in kepubs. In epubs the first two are "sticky".

I'm not anticipating that installing my patches will change this, but if it does I'll edit this post.
It wasn't happening to me in 4.11.11980. I did two things at once: upgraded the firmware and installed some patches. It does seem unlikely (to me) that the patches would inadvertently change the behavior?

I think I saw another difference, before the update and patching: tapping the bottom of the screen didn't always bring up the menu; with the update and patches, the menu comes up reliably.

Note that all of this is using full screen (disables header and footer in settings) on a forma.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:11 PM   #13
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Note that all of this is using full screen (disables header and footer in settings) on a forma.
I think this must be the key point. My no-problems-tests were done with header disabled and footer enabled. I've just disabled the footer and now see what you mean.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I think this must be the key point. My no-problems-tests were done with header disabled and footer enabled. I've just disabled the footer and now see what you mean.
I think you are right, I see the same behavior.

Also, with the footer enabled, I can't seem to tap in the footer to get the menu, I need to tap up in the text.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #15
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Also, with the footer enabled, I can't seem to tap in the footer to get the menu, I need to tap up in the text.
Maybe because, fairly recently, tapping the footer used to cycle the footer text from 'Page x of y' to 'x% Read' to 'x hours to go'. Now it's a long press but the touch area is still the same.

I've always tapped the middle of the screen for menu access.

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching