Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-16-2018, 07:42 PM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Fix your books so they are all consistent. No book should be allowed to alter the base font size, not even large print ebook editions.
A large percentage of my books come from the library. I don't feel it's right to un-DRM them so I can "fix" the fonts – even if I wanted to go through the trouble. It's not a huge deal, but it's a nice feature in the Sonys and (now I can confirm it with the arrival of my Kobo Touch) in the Kobos as well.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:50 AM   #17
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A lot of eBooks use a smaller font size for their base font size. How would you deal with those?
I'd change the font size as I'm reading. I change it as I'm reading anyway...smaller in the morning when my eyes are fresh and I'm wearing my glasses, bigger at night when they're tired and no glasses in bed.

I don't understand the issue?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2018, 07:11 PM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I'd change the font size as I'm reading. I change it as I'm reading anyway...smaller in the morning when my eyes are fresh and I'm wearing my glasses, bigger at night when they're tired and no glasses in bed.

I don't understand the issue?
JSWolf was speaking specifically about the Kobo's (and Sony's) feature that allows each book to be set to different fonts and sizes. (Unlike the Kindles and Nooks where the font and size applies to all books.) It's not a huge deal, but it's kind of nice to set the font size for each book and not have to worry about it changing if you have to adjust it for a different book. Especially nice if you're reading more than one book at a time on the same device.

I (personally) don't adjust font sizes while reading a book. Sometimes, in darker conditions, I'll bold the font another step when using my Kindle 8th Generation and go back to the original bold setting during the daylight.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #19
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
JSWolf was speaking specifically about the Kobo's (and Sony's) feature that allows each book to be set to different fonts and sizes. (Unlike the Kindles and Nooks where the font and size applies to all books.) It's not a huge deal, but it's kind of nice to set the font size for each book and not have to worry about it changing if you have to adjust it for a different book. Especially nice if you're reading more than one book at a time on the same device.

I (personally) don't adjust font sizes while reading a book. Sometimes, in darker conditions, I'll bold the font another step when using my Kindle 8th Generation and go back to the original bold setting during the daylight.
I wish I had the option to use the same font size all the time. Well...technically, I guess I do, but that would mean leaving it at a much larger size than I need for most of the time. I'd rather leave it small when I can, and make it bigger as needed. I usually leave it on the same bold setting all of the time, just changing size (and sometimes brightness) when my eyes are very tired.

Shari
Old 01-21-2018, 01:16 PM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I wish I had the option to use the same font size all the time. Well...technically, I guess I do, but that would mean leaving it at a much larger size than I need for most of the time. I'd rather leave it small when I can, and make it bigger as needed. I usually leave it on the same bold setting all of the time, just changing size (and sometimes brightness) when my eyes are very tired.
I don't know why, but my eyes don't get tired reading a non-front-lit eReader. Last night I was up till 5 reading the last 2/3 of a novel on my Kindle 4 (which, when it comes down it, is probably still my favorite eReader – even after experimenting with all the others). But if I try to read on a front-lit eReader my eyes start having serious focusing problems within a half an hour. LCD screens aren't as bad, but my eyes get tired when using them also.
Advert
Old 01-21-2018, 01:52 PM   #21
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't know why, but my eyes don't get tired reading a non-front-lit eReader. Last night I was up till 5 reading the last 2/3 of a novel on my Kindle 4 (which, when it comes down it, is probably still my favorite eReader – even after experimenting with all the others). But if I try to read on a front-lit eReader my eyes start having serious focusing problems within a half an hour. LCD screens aren't as bad, but my eyes get tired when using them also.
It's not reading on the Kindle that makes my eyes tired, per se, it's the other things I do throughout the day. Working on the computer, (If I have to debug code that day, I can guarantee super-sized font at bedtime) too much driving can make my eyes tired, especially if it's a rainy day, too much pollen in the air, or if the air is too dry (or both). My eyes just have always been a pain my...ANYWAY...the invention of the e-reader, with adjustable font sizes, changed my life. Now it doesn't matter what the day throws at me, I know that I will still be able to read before I go to sleep.

It's a beautiful thing.

Shari
Old 01-21-2018, 02:09 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
It's not reading on the Kindle that makes my eyes tired, per se, it's the other things I do throughout the day. Working on the computer, (If I have to debug code that day, I can guarantee super-sized font at bedtime) ...
That makes a lot of difference. Usually when I'm doing a lot of reading, I'm on the computer a whole lot less (and my eyes thank me for that). If you're debugging code I can see where a large font would be necessary. I don't have the brains (or patience) for that kind of work – although I used to build databases, it's definitely NOT the same thing.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:26 PM   #23
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Debugging used to be a whole lot easier in the days before computers had screens. No fancy debugging software was needed. When a program had an issue or crashed we'd simply print a hex dump of the entire contents of memory on fan fold paper, typically a few hundred pages, and figure it out from that.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font