Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-27-2019, 03:48 PM   #166
clif9710
clif9710 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2nd Generation
I have a Kindle 2nd Gen and wanted to replace the battery since the original battery is not lasting very long on a charge.

I ordered a new battery, one made by a company called Cameron-Sino, and it will not charge. The charge light goes on for a few seconds and goes off. Thinking I had a dud, I got a refund and ordered another battery from a different vendor. It turned out to be from the same manufacturer, Cameron-Sino, and also will not charge.

The original battery still charges fine with the yellow LED turning green when it is up to full charge.

Has anyone else had the problem with replacement batteries? I don't know what to do.
clif9710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:12 PM   #167
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I replaced the battery on one of my Paperwhite's a year ago and the replacement battery wasn't any better than the old one. It had to be charged every day. I got a cheap battery from Ebay instead of getting what I've been told is a reliable battery from Newpower99. I've never actually used one of their batteries but I've been told they're good.

Here's a link to the battery for the 2nd generation Kindle:
https://www.newpower99.com/SearchRes...x=0&Search.y=0

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:22 AM   #168
clif9710
clif9710 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2nd Generation
Thanks for the info Barry. One of the "new" batteries I ordered was from newpower99 and it's on its way back for a refund, as my experience was the same as you described. I can't believe they are simply shipping out old batteries since nobody would be satisfied with them and they'd all come back for refunds...but you never know!

Others advised me to buy a new $99 Kindle that is the current version of my old one. It's crazy to have to buy a new unit for the lack of the darn battery for an old one, but that might be Amazon's thinking in not supplying replacement batteries. I didn't see any alternative...so a new Kindle is on order.
clif9710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:19 PM   #169
timsp
timsp began at the beginning.

Device: none
Awesome job, worthy information here
timsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #170
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
Oasis v Voyage

Hi All

Considering replacing wife's Voyage with current Oasis. Appart from the screen size are there any differences to screen quality/readability/image quality of the text.

All comment/opinion welcome.
happysnapper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:56 PM   #171
Abish4i
The Escapist
Abish4i began at the beginning.

Device: PW4 (10th Gen), Android, Zorin(linux)
Serial ¿ Serials doesn't follow any chronological order ??

I have 2 PW now the serial of my new device precedes the serial number of old device :; does this mean my new PW is old stock? Or Serials have no chronological order just some last random alphanumerics?
Abish4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:37 PM   #172
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abish4i View Post
Serial ¿ Serials doesn't follow any chronological order ??

I have 2 PW now the serial of my new device precedes the serial number of old device :; does this mean my new PW is old stock? Or Serials have no chronological order just some last random alphanumerics?
Digits 9-12 correspond to the manufacture date:

9: year
10-11: week
12: day of the week

And yep, absolutely possible to receive older stock.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:31 AM   #173
Abish4i
The Escapist

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Digits 9-12 correspond to the manufacture date:

9: year
10-11: week
12: day of the week

And yep, absolutely possible to receive older stock.
For this Info

Now I don't think its bad as its same model though I don't see it as gud either

Last edited by Abish4i; 07-25-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:28 PM   #174
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abish4i View Post
Now I don't think its bad as its same model though I don't see it as gud either
Old stock can actually be good if you jailbreak.

For example, the PW3 needed 5.8.7 or lower.

The KT4 (basic Kindle 10th gen) only the early batches with 5.11.0 is jailbreakable.

Early days of the PW4, getting stock 5.10.0.1/2 was desirable until we got factory 5.10.1.3. When PW4s started shipping with 5.10.3, there was no jailbreak for those unlucky enough to get that version for months. The existing PW4 JB method came from stock with 5.10.1.3. Without that, there would be no JB available for the PW4 now.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 07-25-2020 at 12:37 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:42 AM   #175
Abish4i
The Escapist

Redirect Image¹
& Redirect Image²

Last edited by Abish4i; 08-02-2020 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Error posting double post
Old 08-02-2020, 08:45 AM   #176
Abish4i
The Escapist

Post Myth

Yes, old stock is good

There something else came into my attention as in matter of fact hard to differentiate unless you compare both side by side

New PW - Has a little yellow hue (glow warm light) mfg DEC 2019

Old PW - is more like pure paperwhite (gives more cold light) mfg OCT 2018

I don't know is it quality issue or recent development in hardware

Last edited by Abish4i; 08-04-2020 at 07:08 AM.