Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2017, 07:07 AM   #1
Beniamina
Beniamina began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO AURA 2nd edition
Thumbs down No advanced properties for some fonts

Hi to all,
I have just bought a KOBO AURA 2nd edition ereader.

Everythig is fine, but I noticed that for 2 fonts (KBJ-TsukuMin Pr6N RB and KBJ-UDKakugo Pr6N M) the choice of 'advanced properties' is NOT available, while for all other fonts this choice exists.

This choice is useful in order to increase or decrease the contrast.

Is this correct or do you think that it is a KOBO bug?

Thank you!
Beniamina
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Advanced property choice does NOT exist.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	158698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Advanced property choice exists.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	158699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Advanced properties.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	158700  
Beniamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:38 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Advanced font controls only works for truetype fonts. Maybe those two fonts are opentype.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:44 AM   #3
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
This is correct. Tsukushi Mincho and Kakugo are both Japanese fonts and those fonts aren't allowed to have their weightings changed. Not even using a patch to enable advanced font control on other fonts allows it.

Last edited by salamanderjuice; 08-27-2017 at 07:51 AM.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:12 AM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Those two fonts have the advanced font controls available on my Glo with firmware 4.5.9587, in both ePub and KePub books. However I have patched the firmware with the `Freedom to advanced fonts control` patch, and I didn't check if it worked without the patch.

Edit: These are built-in fonts, they come with the firmware and are in TTF format. There is something strange about the font name displayed on your Aura 2, could it be you have sideloaded a different version of these fonts? In that case the advanced font controls won't work unless the firmware is patched.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glo459587-1.png
Views:	380
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	158701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Glo459587-2.png
Views:	356
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	158702  

Last edited by GeoffR; 08-27-2017 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Built-in or sideloaded?
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:27 AM   #5
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's just because they have it set to Italian. You see the same names if you set it to Italian or Spanish.

It doesn't work without the patch because I don't have the patch either. Didn't you say in one of your "Freedom to advanced fonts control" notes it doesn't work for Japanese fonts anymore? Or does that no longer hold true?
Old 08-27-2017, 08:37 AM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
It's just because they have it set to Italian. You see the same names if you set it to Italian or Spanish.
Thanks, I didn't know about that.

Quote:
It doesn't work without the patch because I don't have the patch either. Didn't you say in one of your "Freedom to advanced fonts control" notes it doesn't work for Japanese fonts anymore? Or does that no longer hold true?
The patch should work with any TTF font, but there might be side effects if the language is set to Japanese on the device or in the book. (I don't know exactly what the side effects are though, since I never read in Japanese, it might just be something minor like which font is used by default.)

Edit: If Kobo have disabled the advanced font controls on the Kobo Tsukushi Mincho and Kobo UD Kakugo fonts there might be a reason for it. Those fonts are much larger than the others, I've had problems with the device running out of memory when using them, and it might be that the advanced settings cause them to use even more memory. I'd avoid using either of those two fonts unless reading in a CJK language that actually needs them.

Last edited by GeoffR; 08-27-2017 at 09:01 AM. Reason: If Kobo have disabled .... there might be a reason ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:55 AM   #7
Beniamina

Thumbs down No advanced properties for some fonts

First of all,
thank you for all your replies!

I did not know that the 2 mentioned fonts were Japanese ones, as if I select one of them I see Latin characters.

Geoffr,
I too have your same firmware (4-5-9587) but I don't remember any 'Freedom to advanced fonts control' choice.

I did not sideloaded a different version of these fonts, I just syncronized the ereader with KOBO via wireless, just after having bought it.

How do I install patches?
I thought that synchronization would have been sufficient in order to have the most updated version...

Thank you again!
Old 08-28-2017, 01:04 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beniamina View Post
First of all,
thank you for all your replies!

I did not know that the 2 mentioned fonts were Japanese ones, as if I select one of them I see Latin characters.

Geoffr,
I too have your same firmware (4-5-9587) but I don't remember any 'Freedom to advanced fonts control' choice.

I did not sideloaded a different version of these fonts, I just syncronized the ereader with KOBO via wireless, just after having bought it.

How do I install patches?
I thought that synchronization would have been sufficient in order to have the most updated version...

Thank you again!
The two fonts mentioned have a lot more glyphs/characters than the other fonts on the device. This allows display of hiragana, katakana and kanji along with Latin characters required by Japanese typography. You do have to wonder about using 4 different alphabets.

For the patches, take a look at Instructions for patching firmware 4.5.9587 in the Kobo Developer's Forum. These are not official Kobo patches. These are not from Kobo and require you have the correct firmware version to match the patches.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:03 PM   #9
salamanderjuice
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The two fonts mentioned have a lot more glyphs/characters than the other fonts on the device. This allows display of hiragana, katakana and kanji along with Latin characters required by Japanese typography. You do have to wonder about using 4 different alphabets.

For the patches, take a look at Instructions for patching firmware 4.5.9587 in the Kobo Developer's Forum. These are not official Kobo patches. These are not from Kobo and require you have the correct firmware version to match the patches.
They aren't alphabets, two are syllabaries and one is a set of characters, along with the latin alphabet. They all serve a purpose. While you could write Japanese in just one of the syllabaries or the latin alphabet it's a lot harder to read.

ITSLIKEREADINGENGLISHINALLCAPSWITHNOSPACESORPUNCTU ATIONYOUCANDOITBUTITSNOTGREATESPECIALLYBECAUSEOFAL LTHEHOMOPHONES
Old 08-28-2017, 02:17 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
They aren't alphabets, two are syllabaries and one is a set of characters, along with the latin alphabet. They all serve a purpose. While you could write Japanese in just one of the syllabaries or the latin alphabet it's a lot harder to read.

ITSLIKEREADINGENGLISHINALLCAPSWITHNOSPACESORPUNCTU ATIONYOUCANDOITBUTITSNOTGREATESPECIALLYBECAUSEOFAL LTHEHOMOPHONES
You have a space between the a and the ls in all on the screen but not when I quoted.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:21 PM   #11
salamanderjuice
Guru

Yea I noticed that too, there isn't actually a space there. It's just all just one line. Seems like a bug in the forum system.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:11 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Yea I noticed that too, there isn't actually a space there. It's just all just one line. Seems like a bug in the forum system.
Where is the insecticide?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:42 AM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I commonly see hiragana and katakana referred to as alphabets. OTOH, I've seen Chinese characters and Japanese kanji referred to as logosyllabic just to add to the mess. Should we get into a discussion that hiragana and katakana (kana) are not complete syllabaries?

Perhaps I should have included furigana as a fifth option?

Can we agree that the glyphs in the two fonts in question are certainly more numerous than would be needed for a Latin/European language font?

Last edited by DNSB; 08-29-2017 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:44 AM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
That's what the code tag is for.

Code:
ITSLIKEREADINGENGLISHINALLCAPSWITHNOSPACESORPUNCTUATIONYOUCANDOIBUTITSNOTGREATESPECIALLYBECAUSEOFALLTHEHOMOPHONES
Old 08-29-2017, 11:43 AM   #15
Beniamina

Smile No advanced properties for some fonts

Thank you to everybody who answered to me!
I understood and have decided to...change the font in order to having as less troubles as possible.

It's very nice to receive answers so rapidly....

Tags
contrast, font