Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
RJA
RJA began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
duplicates in database

I am new to eBooks and Calibre so I probably did something "silly."

I had downloaded several .lit books and added them to Calibre. I converted them to .lrf for my 505 and then deleted the .lit files (just to save some space). Then I noticed that some of the titles were all caps, some author names were first then last and some were last, first. I also noticed that the covers were Microsoft product pages. I used the meta data edit and fixed some things. I used ISBN search and got the proper cover pages. I stored this all in Calibre. I also set some tags and some series information. Then I did a save to disk with each book being in it's own directory under the author right back into the Calibre folder. I assumed an update-in-place would occur. When I look in the Calibre directory I now find multiple folders for some authors (different name orders and capitalization) and two copies of each book with different (###) extension. How can I clean up this mess and ensure I don't drop the tags, series, and new covers? Also, how can I clean out all the Microsoft product cover pages?

TIA guys.
RJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:07 AM   #2
earthq
Enthusiast
earthq began at the beginning.

Device: none
When fixing metadata within Calibre the underlying folders and files get automagically renamed.
When you use Save to Disk feature you are actually "exporting" the books and metadata to a folder without any control or sync with Calibre database (metadata.db).

Therefore, what you have now is duplicated files and folders, without any reference from within Calibre. This and other reasons took me to open a ticket for Integrity Check feature request.

To recover from your current situation, I would recommend you:

- Move folders that do not end with "(number)" out of Calibre library folder.
- Use a specialiced tool to look for duplicates between your moved files and files in Calibre library, deleting those out of Calibre.
- If what you want is only LRFs, just go and delete LIT files.
- If you want to keep both, just add LIT files as additional format available to each book (not sure how to automate that, though).

HTH.
earthq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2009, 03:14 AM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Save to Disk is for saving copies of your own OUTSIDE of Calibre, or to save them in preperation for use on another device. Send to Device is the same way. It's not for updating Calibre's copies itself.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #4
RJA
RJA began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
duplicates in database

Thanks - that wasn't clear in many of the posts I read. I guess I can delete the duplicate files, but it will be a rather tedious effort.
RJA is offline   Reply With Quote