Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Texans, sign in!!

Okay, my "Arizonans sign in" thread seems to have attracted only silence.

How about you Texans? Anyone out there? I've got one legitimate response. (that was me.) Can you do better?

Sign in and tell us about where in Tejas you are from. (Spelling deliberate)

Tejas is the Spanish spelling of a Caddo word taysha, which means "friend" or "ally". In the 17th century the Spanish knew the westernmost Caddo peoples as "the great kingdom of Tejas" and the name lived on to become the name of the 28th state of the United States—Texas.

http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/tejas/index.html
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Name:  texas.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  5.6 KB

OK, where do I sign?

Well, I'm not really a Texan. I'm a fake. But I never admitted to whom I really am anyway, so it doesn't count, does it?

Still, I'm here just the same. Not from here, but been here for 'round about exactly almost goin' on close to nearly less than 12,000 days, which translates to I've been here longer than I've been anywhere else except locked up in my own mind. Since I can't find the key, I may as well stay.

Where in Texas am I? You don't want to know. But I'll tell you anyway . . . nowhere near the place Ricky is trapped in. Which is easy because there's so much space in Tejas it really is bigger than some countries.

Okay, I'll get more specific. Im squished between New Mexico to the West, Louisiana to the East, Oklahoma to the North, Ricky Maveety to the South, the earth below and the stars above.

Name:  just_kidding.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  5.9 KB So just follow the road signs until you find me, at which time you're welcome to visit when I'm gone. But I always come back, so just pull up a rock and set a spell.

OK, where do I sign again? In Arizona?

Last edited by Lady Blue; 05-11-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini

Germany, Texas.
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
Attachment 28860

OK, where do I sign?

Well, I'm not really a Texan. I'm a fake. But I never admitted to whom I really am anyway, so it doesn't count, does it?

Still, I'm here just the same. Not from here, but been here for 'round about exactly almost goin' on close to nearly less than 12,000 days, which translates to I've been here longer than I've been anywhere else except locked up in my own mind. Since I can't find the key, I may as well stay.

Where in Texas am I? You don't want to know. But I'll tell you anyway . . . nowhere near the place Ricky is trapped in. Which is easy because there's so much space in Tejas it really is bigger than some countries.

Okay, I'll get more specific. Im squished between New Mexico to the West, Louisiana to the East, Oklahoma to the North, Ricky Maveety to the South, the earth below and the stars above.

Attachment 28861 So just follow the road signs until you find me, at which time you're welcome to visit when I'm gone. But I always come back, so just pull up a rock and set a spell.

OK, where do I sign again? In Arizona?
I did put I was easily confused in my tag didn't I?
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Okay, my "Arizonans sign in" thread seems to have attracted only silence.
clearly you have no-one but yourself to blame for that ! you spend far too much time with those kids (i bet they don't even know how to read yet !!) instead of out recruiting new members from arizona !!! sheesh. i'd help you, but i'm busy organising another meetup in paris (texas ).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Does it count that I'm listening to a song called San Antonio, Texas? If so, then count me in
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i got trapped in carrollton, texas (postal code : 75010. much like... the 10th arrondissement of paris, where i ACTUALLY live), the first (several) times i tried to add my pin to the mobileread frappr map. i'm pretty sure it's finally in the right place now but i'm afraid if i go check it'll get teleported back to texas again.

does that count ?

(not actually planning to go to texas, ever : i hear they have cockroaches bigger than i am. :shudder: )
Old 05-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i got trapped in carrollton, texas (postal code : 75010. much like... the 10th arrondissement of paris, where i ACTUALLY live), the first (several) times i tried to add my pin to the mobileread frappr map. i'm pretty sure it's finally in the right place now but i'm afraid if i go check it'll get teleported back to texas again.

does that count ?

(not actually planning to go to texas, ever : i hear they have cockroaches bigger than i am. :shudder: )

Where'd you ever get THAT silly idea? They're not bigger than you.

But in Paris, Texas they do have a cockroach roundup every Saturday. Then on Sunday they throw saddles on them and compete in the barrel races at the local rodeo, right alongside the horses.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Where'd you ever get THAT silly idea? They're not bigger than you.

But in Paris, Texas they do have a cockroach roundup every Saturday. Then on Sunday they throw saddles on them and compete in the barrel races at the local rodeo, right alongside the horses.
just how big do you think i am ?????
Old 05-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #10
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one

Quote:
just how big do you think i am ?????
Oops . . . boy did THAT come out wrong?

Er . . . I meant you can ride them, but your feet would drag on the ground. Think of them as ugly miniature ponies with lots of legs.

Nevermind, they ARE bigger than you, LOTS bigger than you. And real hard to stear in those barrel races.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Oops . . . boy did THAT come out wrong?

Er . . . I meant you can ride them, but your feet would drag on the ground. Think of them as ugly miniature ponies with lots of legs.

Nevermind, they ARE bigger than you, LOTS bigger than you. And real hard to stear in those barrel races.
I KNEW IT !!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #12
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Hey, but there are no spiders here, Zee!

(cuz the cockroaches eat 'em all)
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Hey, but there are no spiders here, Zee!

(cuz the cockroaches eat 'em all)
see, i'm not sure whether you're trying to reassure me there, or terrify me even more !!! (if it's the second, congratulations ! it's working. )
Old 05-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #14
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Howdy! (Okay, I never say that.) I am a Texan by parentage (4th generation?), birth (Austin), and residence (Houston for 22 years). But I don't feel much like a Texan because I left Texas when I was about 6 and didn't return until I was 30. So I spent most of my youth in other places and never got attached to it (or anywhere). The "true" Texans that I know don't wear cowboy boots (or at least not often), rode to school on a horse ever, have shootin' irons (or not many, anyway), chew 'baccy, or can rope anything. They do have smiles on their faces, have lots of homey stories about family and friends when they were young, and are mighty friendly. A nice to place to hang your hat if you have one (no, I don't).
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I am the quintessence Texan. 14 of my 16 great, great, lived in Texas. The other co lineal came one generation later.

I was born in Corpus Christi, Texas at the Spahn hospital (spawn of the Spahn), move to the wrong side of town in San Antonio de Bexar (pronunciated bear in English and behar in Spanish) at 18 months, went to the third poorest school district in Texas from K-12, and then then picked up a Degree in Micro/Molecular Biology in Austin, and eventually ended up as a computer programmer in Plano, Texas, (a suburb of Dallas/Fort Worth). I live about 10 kilometers from South Fork. (Zelda, that's about 40 Kilometers from Carrollton, due east).

For a sense of the South Texas countryside (where my parent had a ranch and I went on weekends), Google "The Devil In Texas". It's some of the most God-forsaken land in the world, but I love it....

(The storms, the floods,
The fields of wildflowers in the spring.

The heat, the cold,
Watching a Javelina family cross the road.

The snakes, the lizards,
The pertified wood all over the ground.

The guns, the horses,
The people with honor who never surrender.

Home.....)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote