Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-25-2018, 03:07 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I enjoyed her earlier books, but her later "radical feminist" phase didn't appeal to me at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #17
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
There are rumors that she was a candidate in recent years for the Nobel Prize.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2018, 09:58 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
There are rumors that she was a candidate in recent years for the Nobel Prize.
A thoroughly deserving recipient, if so. Shame it can't be awarded posthumously.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:43 PM   #19
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
I have two ancient paperback collections of her short stories that I refuse to part with: The Wind's Twelve Quarters and The Compass Rose. The first was finally released as an ebook last February; I hope the other will one day be available. I re-read them both last year and still love nearly all the stories. Thank you, Ms. Le Guin, for many hours of reading pleasure.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:47 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
I have two ancient paperback collections of her short stories that I refuse to part with: The Wind's Twelve Quarters and The Compass Rose. The first was finally released as an ebook last February; I hope the other will one day be available. I re-read them both last year and still love nearly all the stories. Thank you, Ms. Le Guin, for many hours of reading pleasure.
"The Compass Rose" is available as an ebook - at least in the UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00V3KK060
Advert
Old 01-25-2018, 09:09 PM   #21
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The Earthsea books were one of my favorite series. She was definitely one of the leading lights on the literary side of SF&F.
I discovered the Earthsea books at the same time as I found the Lord of the Rings. I loved both of them, but they had quite different takes on the nature of right vs wrong. I think Le Guin's was more nuanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
The Earth Sea Cycle (6 books) was marvelous. A favorite of mine.

The Left hand of Darkness was perplexing when I read it, but these days it gets a lot of attention. I always wondered about "pepper pills" (I believe that was what they were called,) but the military later gave me the answer: amphetamine, speed, and now days meth.

I love the sea as much as the land, and have often thought the Wind Mage was out to thwart me as he did Ged.

When I discovered the Earthsea books, I was working in a small coastal village where the normal way to get in and out was by boat. It was very interesting to me to in some ways live in the same environment as Ged. The villagers would often talk about going down the reach. They would take their boat across the harbour, rather than walking. They were as much at home on the sea as on land.

Le Guin created a marvelous world. I used to love looking at the islands in the maps of my old paperbacks. That's one of the few downsides to me about having gone totally digital - the maps just aren't as easy to read on a device.

Last edited by bfisher; 01-25-2018 at 09:14 PM.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:12 AM   #22
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Le Guin created a marvelous world. I used to love looking at the islands in the maps of my old paperbacks. That's one of the few downsides to me about having gone totally digital - the maps just aren't as easy to read on a device.
I also like to look on maps when reading fantasy books. I then take a screen shot of the page in question on my PC and use that paper beside the ebook.
Very easy to do if the book is in Calibre.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:11 PM   #23
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"The Compass Rose" is available as an ebook - at least in the UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00V3KK060
Yes, indeed. The Kindle version of The Wind's Twelve Quarters was available in the UK for a few years before it was released here in the US. I hope that means we'll get The Compass Rose eventually, too
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:43 PM   #24
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I discovered the Earthsea books at the same time as I found the Lord of the Rings. I loved both of them, but they had quite different takes on the nature of right vs wrong. I think Le Guin's was more nuanced.

When I discovered the Earthsea books, I was working in a small coastal village where the normal way to get in and out was by boat. It was very interesting to me to in some ways live in the same environment as Ged. The villagers would often talk about going down the reach. They would take their boat across the harbour, rather than walking. They were as much at home on the sea as on land.

Amen Brother.
When I was young, very young, I spent wonderful times on the coast of SC at my grandparents, on the saltwater Wadmalaw River, the inland coastal waterway to Charleston Harbor. In fact my first choice for College was the NROTC, but life took a turn and I ended up in the Army.
I spent great summers on the water. Picture a small boy in a large open row boat with rough men (including my father and uncle) out on the open sea beyond the sight of land, shrimping from that open boat, and me mainly trying to keep my bare toes out of the way of big crabs scuttling around on the bottom of the boat. On calm water you could pull your feet up on the seat, but in the open sea, working the nets, etc, there is so much pitch and yaw that you have to use your feet on the bottom of the boat to brace to keep from being slid and tossed around to possible disaster.

I consider the loss of my youthful shark, whale, and the like tooth collection gathered over many years of scouring the saltwater river flats, marshes, dunes and bars to be one of the great misfortunes of my life. One that I have never had the heart to replace.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:48 PM   #25
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
A great writer and a sad loss because of her compassion and her moral integrity.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:21 PM   #26
Red Falcon
Addict
Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
She was one of the greatest American writers of the 20th century. Her social focused approach to Sci-Fi and Fantasy added a much needed human dimension that was largely lacking before her.
Red Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:52 AM   #27
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
The Earthsea books were among the very first books I read in English (I'm not a native speaker) as a teenager - unless I remember it wrong, I first read The Hobbit, and some time later moved on to Earthsea (this was in the 80's - at the time there were very few RPG books that were published in French, and that was a strong incentive to me).

I have to admit, though, that I never read much more of her books.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote