Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-20-2016, 07:57 AM   #1
CatRovacer
CatRovacer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Touch, Aura HD
Question which eink display better?

With lower or higher absolute value Vcom?

Last edited by CatRovacer; 12-20-2016 at 08:04 AM.
CatRovacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:10 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatRovacer View Post
With lower or higher absolute value Vcom?
No real difference as far as I know. Most of the eInk displays I've used have Vcom written on a sticker on the display. If the voltage is not displayed, the spec sheets I've see show it varying from 0V to -2.5V. Generally, -1.5V has worked fairly well for me though you can play with it to see if you notice any improvement.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2016, 03:16 PM   #3
CatRovacer
CatRovacer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Touch, Aura HD
Thanks for response.
Then if say by other words:
Which display prefferable: with -1.5V or -2.5V Vcom?

Also still question "How to read and/or rewrite Vcon for Kobo GLO?"
CatRovacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 02:00 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thanks for response.
Then if say by other words:
Which display prefferable: with -1.5V or -2.5V Vcom?
Neither is preferable based on Vcom -- you need to check the display speed, contrast, min/max reflectance, etc. The differences were not easily noticed when I played with Vcom values. Using the manufactured suggested value for the display is the safest route.

Quote:
Also still question "How to read and/or rewrite Vcon for Kobo GLO?"
I've never dismantled a Glo to that extent. Depending on the chips used, changing Vcom may be simply changing a resistor value or it may require reprogramming a chip's internal EEPROM. Check the data sheets for the chips for more information.

The last time I played with eInk displays was about 4 years ago when I was trying to connect a Raspberry Pi to an eInk display so my information is likely to be outdated.

You might want to check Sprites mods Eink display and Essential Scrap - eInk for some ideas.

Last edited by DNSB; 12-21-2016 at 02:14 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote