Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
mzsfjv
Golf Golf Golf
mzsfjv is a marvel to beholdmzsfjv is a marvel to beholdmzsfjv is a marvel to beholdmzsfjv is a marvel to beholdmzsfjv is a marvel to beholdmzsfjv is a marvel to beholdmzsfjv is a marvel to beholdmzsfjv is a marvel to beholdmzsfjv is a marvel to beholdmzsfjv is a marvel to beholdmzsfjv is a marvel to behold

Device: Asus Tablet
Calibre Portable GUI

I have lost my GUI (General User Interface) icon. All of Calibre Portable appears to still be there, but I can't find any way to access my library without the GUI icon. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.
mzsfjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
GUI - usually means Graphical User Interface, where do you usually see this icon, and what does it usually look like

This is the calibre icon you 'should' have on your desktop or in your dock,

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsfjv View Post
I have lost my GUI (General User Interface) icon. All of Calibre Portable appears to still be there, but I can't find any way to access my library without the GUI icon. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.
If you're looking in the Calibre executables folder, try one level up, the portable launcher lives there.
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
mzsfjv
Golf Golf Golf
mzsfjv is a marvel to beholdmzsfjv is a marvel to beholdmzsfjv is a marvel to beholdmzsfjv is a marvel to beholdmzsfjv is a marvel to beholdmzsfjv is a marvel to beholdmzsfjv is a marvel to beholdmzsfjv is a marvel to beholdmzsfjv is a marvel to beholdmzsfjv is a marvel to beholdmzsfjv is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
GUI - usually means Graphical User Interface, where do you usually see this icon, and what does it usually look like

This is the calibre icon you 'should' have on your desktop or in your dock,

BR
I probably called the icon by the wrong name; however, the icon you show is exactly what I am missing. I closed the Calibre application and when I reopened it, the icon was gone. Any idea how I get it back? Thanks for your help.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
mzsfjv
Golf Golf Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by At_Libitum View Post
If you're looking in the Calibre executables folder, try one level up, the portable launcher lives there.
Thanks for your reply. I've looked through all of the Calibre files, but cannot find anything that leads me to the icon. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Advert
Old 10-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I probably called the icon by the wrong name; however, the icon you show is exactly what I am missing. I closed the Calibre application and when I reopened it, the icon was gone. Any idea how I get it back? Thanks for your help.
The exact same way you would for any Windows program...

Except the issue may be moot because:

Shortcuts depend on Consistent file path Locations

Calibre portable is on drive G: onetime and J: (or any other letter for removable drives) another, depending on what storage is plugged in and USB slot you chose

You can mitigate this by forcing the device to use a single drive letter from a range that will not be normally hit. I assigned the drive L: as I have a card reader, e-reader (also hard assigned P: Q
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I've looked through all of the Calibre files, but cannot find anything that leads me to the icon. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
If you have a portable installation then, depending on where you installed it to. you should have the following folder structure

Calibre Portable
|
|- Calibre
|- Calibre Settings
|- Calibre Library

In the Calibre folder live the regular Calibre executables and the main Calibre program that shows with the same icon as posted and with the name Calibre.exe

Since however, you are using the portable version, you will need to use the excecutable that is located one level up in the folder Calibre Portable and that file is named calibre-portable.exe and uses the same icon as you lost.

Just a hunch though, before you start digging and maybe getting lost. I assume you're trashbin icon is also on the desktop, might be worth to check if it did not accidentally ended up in there. (for that matter, check all of the folders you may have on your desktop) or simply do a search for calibre-portable. It might just be that you accidentally dragged the icon into a folder on your desktop (or even the trashbin)

EDIT: Hmm...assumed that you were using the portable on your desktop computer, indeed if the program is actually located on an external drive that might possibly change drive letters when re-inserted, changes things a bit but that should not make the icon dissappear, at most it should become invalid but it should then still be there.

Last edited by At_Libitum; 10-04-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
@ At

The Icon will usually change because it is missing its source unless a local drive ICO file is referenced
There is a copy of the Icon in resources\images in the Calibre Program folder
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@mzsfjv Aaah, from the highlighted phrase I assume it's not the icon you click to start Calibre, its the one you normally see in the Calibre icon bar when it starts

Can you confirm

See attachment for suggestion

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	112814  

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-04-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
mzsfjv
Golf Golf Golf

Thanks theducks and at_libitum for your suggestions. Yes, the icon is in the file theducks suggested; however, it is a .jpg image without an exe and is of no use. At_libitum, there are no exe files except the d/l file. I've found a work around by d/ling a new Calibre portable and then accessing my original library from it. I can't find any way to attach my original library to the new d/l. It's a pain to have to do this instead of directly opening the library. Does anyone know how to move a library from one Calibre portable to another and have it work? Thanks

Last edited by mzsfjv; 10-04-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
mzsfjv
Golf Golf Golf

[QUOTE=BetterRed;2645539]@mzsfjv Aaah, from the highlighted phrase I assume it's not the icon you click to start Calibre, its the one you normally see in the Calibre icon bar when it starts

Can you confirm

BR[/QUOTE

Thanks for your input. I guess I was replying to the other two when your's came in. No that isn't the icon I'm referring to, I only wish it were that simple. The icon I'm missing is the one you click to make the Calibre library open. Here's what I have when I click on Calibre Portable:
Calibre
Calibre Library
Calibre Settings
Beneath the Calibre settings there should be another icon where you click to open the library interface. That's what went away. Frustrating!!!!

Last edited by mzsfjv; 10-04-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

[QUOTE=mzsfjv;2645619]
Quote:
@mzsfjv Aaah, from the highlighted phrase I assume it's not the icon you click to start Calibre, its the one you normally see in the Calibre icon bar when it starts

Can you confirm

BR[/QUOTE

Thanks for your input. I guess I was replying to the other two when your's came in. No that isn't the icon I'm referring to, I only wish it were that simple. The icon I'm missing is the one you click to make the Calibre library open. Here's what I have when I click on Calibre Portable:
Calibre
Calibre Library
Calibre Settings
Under the Calibre settings there should be another icon where you click to open the library interface. That's what went away. Frustrating!!!!
Aaah, then is it the exe that's missing - see attachment for what's in my Calibre Portable folder

If so then I suggest you reinstall from the last update you downloaded to a scratch pad area and copy the exe from there into your calibre portable folder and then delete what's in the scratch pad.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	112817  

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-04-2013 at 08:59 PM. Reason: replaced picture with a better one
Old 10-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
At_Libitum
Addict

Quote:
The icon I'm missing is the one you click to make the Calibre library open. Here's what I have when I click on Calibre Portable:
Calibre
Calibre Library
Calibre Settings
Beneath the Calibre settings there should be another icon
you're looking in the wrong place. that icon (the calibre-portable.exe file) is supposed to be located in Calibre Portable, not in the settings folder
Old 10-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by At_Libitum View Post
you're looking in the wrong place. that icon (the calibre-portable.exe file) is supposed to be located in Calibre Portable, not in the settings folder
At_Libitum : by 'under' maybe mzsfjv is referring to a spatial arrangement rather than a file system hierarchy arrangement

See my new picture in prior post and you'll get my drift

BR
Old 10-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #15
mzsfjv
Golf Golf Golf

Quote:
At_Libitum : by 'under' maybe mzsfjv is referring to a spatial arrangement rather than a file system hierarchy arrangement

See my new picture in prior post and you'll get my drift

BR
Your exactly right. That's how mine looks, except it's just text and not the folder display, with no icon. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks a lot.