Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
deborakaye
deborakaye doesn't litterdeborakaye doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
AZW3 format - Calibre problem

I got a new book for my Kindle Touch today. The Witness by Nora Roberts. It was in .azw3 format. Calibre imported the book, but listed the author as unknown and the file wouldn't open.

I tried downloading a new copy of the book and the same thing happened.

I'm using Calibre 0.8.47.

Has anyone had a similar problem and found a solution?

Thanks,
deborakaye

Last edited by deborakaye; 04-18-2012 at 07:14 PM.
deborakaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Funny, I just downloaded the sample, to check, and it was in format .azw. I've never heard of .azw3 before.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
AZW3 is a KF8, but a KF8 can also come in an .azw. So, try renaming to .azw and see if that helps. Note that you will likely need the latest 3rd party DRM stripping plugins (if you strip DRM). Explicit support for the AZW3 filename extension will be in the next release of Calibre (which already supports KF8 for import).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:45 AM   #4
deborakaye
deborakaye doesn't litterdeborakaye doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
AZW3

Susan and Wallcraft, thanks for your help.

Changing the .azw3 to just .azw allowed Calibre to add the file correctly.

Thanks again,
deborakaye
deborakaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
Julien Pham
Connoisseur
Julien Pham began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Just to add that for me renaming the AZW3 file to AZW allows me to add it to Calibre, BUT the AZW file cannot be read on my Kindle Touch. But if I move the AZW3 file to my kobo touch with the AZW3 extension, the Touch can read it.

So we need a way to have Calibre handle the AZW3 files with the AZW3 extension. I can add AZW3 to calibre, but then it refuses to send it to my Kindle touch, saying the format is not compatible

So for the moment the only solution to me is to keep the version with both KF7 and KF8, but the size is then twice the size of an ePub
Julien Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are not using the latest Calibre, then do so as it's got support for KF8/AZW3.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-02-2012 at 04:12 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien Pham View Post
So we need a way to have Calibre handle the AZW3 files with the AZW3 extension. I can add AZW3 to calibre, but then it refuses to send it to my Kindle touch, saying the format is not compatible
Update Preferences -> Plugins -> Device Interface Plugins -> Kindle 2/3/4/Touch -> Customize Plugin -> Select available formats -> azw3.

I'm not sure what happens if you have both a Touch and an earlier Kindle, but selecting azw3 should be safe if you only ever connect a Touch.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The earlier Kindles should be displaying the mobi part of the AZW3 file.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The earlier Kindles should be displaying the mobi part of the AZW3 file.
An AZW3 file typically only contains the KF8 part of the ebook. The way it works is that kindlegen (and Calibre) create MOBI files that contain both classic MOBI and KF8, but when Amazon sends an AZW3 to a device it strips out the classic MOBI part and only send the KF8.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:26 AM   #10
Julien Pham
Connoisseur

Yes now I can make Calibre work to send AZW3 files to my kindle. Too bad the amazon personal document stuff does not allow us to send AZW3 files, only Mobi and AZW ones for books. And as I said renaming AZW3 to AZW does not work.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:57 AM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I just downloaded an AZW3 book and renaming it to AZW worked fine, thank you
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:33 AM   #12
Julien Pham
Connoisseur

Oh it worked for you? When I rename a AZW3 file to AZW, my Kindle says it cannot open the book
Old 07-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #13
cindyw9
cindyw9 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Oh it worked for you? When I rename a AZW3 file to AZW, my Kindle says it cannot open the book

No matter what I do, calibre says the book is DRM locked. It wont do anything with it.

Im using version 8.6.1 and like I said it still wont work on AZW3 files.

Not very happy right now

Last edited by cindyw9; 07-22-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: giving my version of calibre
cindyw9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyw9 View Post
No matter what I do, calibre says the book is DRM locked. It wont do anything with it.
Have you taken any steps to remove DRM on these files in case the Calibre message is correct? If a book DOES ahve DRM then you need to get it removed before Calibre can do anything other than file it for you.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #15
deva1984
deva1984 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Have you taken any steps to remove DRM on these files in case the Calibre message is correct? If a book DOES ahve DRM then you need to get it removed before Calibre can do anything other than file it for you.
How could DRMs be removed?
deva1984 is offline   Reply With Quote