Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-12-2011, 02:55 AM   #1
protoghost
protoghost began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Update all mobi books so they have an ASIN?

I read mobi books on several different devices (esp my laptop and my kindle.)

I was very excited to see that calibre was setting an ASIN by default so that kindle software would now update my location across devices (as mentioned in the changelog entry referencing this bug http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/8721).

I tested it, and it worked perfectly.

Now, I'd love to have this feature for the 200+ mobi books I've already converted using calibre. Is there any way to update them all at once, or do I need to regenerate them all manually (what I did with the book I tested it on.)

Thanks in advance for any help.
protoghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Run a bulk conversion.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 04:44 AM   #3
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
If I do a bulk conversion from mobi to mobi won;t I then have 2 copies of the same file?

How then do I tell the system to delete the older mobi file and keep the newest.

I understand that I could convert to say epub, then delete the mobi, and then convert to mobi and delete the epub, but I have over 10,000 books.

Is there a better way?

Brewjono
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:48 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Just convert Mobi->Mobi. Calibre will replace the files by itself.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjono View Post
If I do a bulk conversion from mobi to mobi won;t I then have 2 copies of the same file?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjono View Post
How then do I tell the system to delete the older mobi file and keep the newest.
When a mobi to mobi conversion is run the old mobi file will be overwritten with the new mobi file. You might want to back-up your library before you start. You also might want to do a small batch first to ensure the mobi output is still along the lines of what you had before.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert