Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-22-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Duplicates found!

I'm encountering a problem and hope it's just my own stupidity that's causing this.

Every time I try to add a new book (tried with .lit, .epub and others) I receive this warning.

The books are fresh and have never been added to the library. If I choose OK 2 entries are created. One contains the original ebook, the other a ZIP file. This only started happening today, and I already have some 100+ books in the library that imported without any such errors.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.6 and Calibre 0.4.139.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Do you by any chance have the book and a zip containing the book in the same folder and are selecting the "folder" that those books are in? Or perhaps you have two formats of the same book in the folder?

I think the default add books will add all books in the folder if you use the default add books button.

How "exactly" are you adding the book?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Do you by any chance have the book and a zip containing the book in the same folder and are selecting the "folder" that those books are in? Or perhaps you have two formats of the same book in the folder?

I think the default add books will add all books in the folder if you use the default add books button.

How "exactly" are you adding the book?

BOb
Adding the books by clicking on the Add Books icon (not drilling down to the other options), but it seems like the problem has ceased after I used an old Windows trick -- I restarted

Everything I've imported after the restart works fine, just as it did earlier.

I have no idea why this odd quirk occurred, but I'll keep an eye open to see if it comes back.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
idragon
idragon began at the beginning.

Device: itouch
Welcome to the club ...

There are a few of us having this problem,
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39427

I believe Kovid is looking into this, but I suspect its a fairly obscure bug. I had a quick look at some of the source code, but havent been able to spot anything out of the ordinary.
idragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
A bit OT, but close...

How does Calibre check for duplicates when adding new books? By filename? By title? I've added some books that aren't duplicates (same title but different authors) and Calibre seems to be recognizing them as duplicates.

Thanks in advance!
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I've found the bug, will be fixed in the next release. calibre uses the title to check for duplicates. It does not compare authors, since the case of books having the same title by different authors is rare and you can simply manually add them in that case.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
idragon

I dont think this specific error/bug is related to the check for duplicates with the Title.

I have definitely added books that didnt exist before (different titles) and it still popped up with the error.
There is also the problem that it makes copies of previous books and adds them under the "new" book (If you click on Ok to add duplicates)
The OP mentiones that, and in the other thread the OP also had that problem, and I can attest to that exact same behaviour.
I just noticed this user in Ticket #1853 got the error with a new clean database after the 2nd add.

Its almost like an array/variable somewhere doesnt get cleaned up propely (with links to previous files that were added) , and then when you click on ok to add the Duplicate. It copies that "other" file under the new book as a book format. Hope that makes sense
Old 02-23-2009, 04:21 PM   #8
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by idragon View Post
I dont think this specific error/bug is related to the check for duplicates with the Title.

I have definitely added books that didnt exist before (different titles) and it still popped up with the error.
There is also the problem that it makes copies of previous books and adds them under the "new" book (If you click on Ok to add duplicates)
The OP mentiones that, and in the other thread the OP also had that problem, and I can attest to that exact same behaviour.
I just noticed this user in Ticket #1853 got the error with a new clean database after the 2nd add.

Its almost like an array/variable somewhere doesnt get cleaned up propely (with links to previous files that were added) , and then when you click on ok to add the Duplicate. It copies that "other" file under the new book as a book format. Hope that makes sense
I have to agree. I had the error message when I added new title/book
mitch
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It was a threading related bug caused by different threading behavior on the OS X platform. Basically, each time you add books a new thread ic created to carry out the work without frezing the GUI. On OSX the old threads were not being deleted so everytime you add anew book all the previous add threads would try to re-add their books as well, causing the duplicates.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre uses the title to check for duplicates. It does not compare authors, since the case of books having the same title by different authors is rare and you can simply manually add them in that case.
Would it be possible to request this functionality? How hard would it be to implement? I read a lot of fanfiction and a number of those tend to have similar titles. It's pretty amazing how many fanfics are titled 'Untitled'.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #11
idragon

Quote:
It was a threading related bug caused by different threading behavior on the OS X platform. Basically, each time you add books a new thread ic created to carry out the work without frezing the GUI. On OSX the old threads were not being deleted so everytime you add anew book all the previous add threads would try to re-add their books as well, causing the duplicates.
Yup that would explain it. Thanks Kovid
Old 02-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #12
gttexas
gttexas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, PRS 300
I've also puzzled over the problem until I noticed that the "duplicate" book was titled "Zane Grey". It seems I had a number of books to be imported which had the title and Author fields reversed!
gttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:58 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Would it be possible to request this functionality? How hard would it be to implement? I read a lot of fanfiction and a number of those tend to have similar titles. It's pretty amazing how many fanfics are titled 'Untitled'.
It's not too hard to implement but I'm not sure it should be, since there are a lot of cases where book metadata is incomplete so although the authors dont match, the books are actually the same.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #14
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by idragon View Post
Welcome to the club ...

There are a few of us having this problem,
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39427

I believe Kovid is looking into this, but I suspect its a fairly obscure bug. I had a quick look at some of the source code, but havent been able to spot anything out of the ordinary.
I should have looked more closely before posting this thread. Sorry if it's incovenienced anyone.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
It's not too hard to implement but I'm not sure it should be, since there are a lot of cases where book metadata is incomplete so although the authors dont match, the books are actually the same.
Hmm, true. How about modifying the prompt to include more information?

For example, instead of displaying just the title of the duplicate match, you can show:
Code:
Existing Entries								Pending Additions
Foundation - Isaac Asimov (epub, 53KB)			Foundation - Mercedes Lackey (epub, 68KB)
Macbeth - William Shakespeare (epub, 92KB)			Macbeth (txt, 47KB)
Maybe an option to save the list to a txt/csv file can be added, too?