Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
HarryPigg
Alleged Writer
HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
And another one surfaces

Hi All,

I'm Bob and I'm from Ireland. I've been a voracious reader for more years than I care to remember as well as being a tech head so have been looking forward to getting my hands on an ebook reader for quite a while now. As is usual with these things they tend to take a while to cross the Atlantic so my good lady wife secretly procured a PRS-505 for me from the US (what a girl!) and I'm more than impressed. I'm still not convinced about the cost of ebooks but have been catching up on all the Edgar Rice Burroughs books I remember from my formative reading years (thanks guys).

I'm a part-time writer and my own book The Third Pig Detective Agency will be published by Harper Collins in the middle of next year. Prior to that, they intend to make it available as a free download for a few months to test the waters so I'll let you know when it's available and hopefully it might raise a smile or two.

I've been dipping into the forums for the past few days and like what I see. Lots of really good stuff here.

Bob
HarryPigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
What a good wife you have!

Can't wait to check out your book, I'm guessing it's a mystery?

As for ebook prices, I think eventually they'll start dropping, it's just going to take a while.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome Bob.

Please do let us know when your book is available!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello Bob. First of all, let me welcome you to MobileRead. This is definitely the best place to find out all about eBooks and their readers (both human and electronic). Step right up and tell us all about the kind of books you voraciously read. You'll find all kinds of readers here. Some of us (like me) gulp down books as fast as we can read. Others read more carefully and thoughtfully.

Next, tell us more about your book. There are several authors that hang out here. Some have gone the self-publishing route and others have brought their books out through the more traditional publishing route. I, for one, am eager to try out new authors, so be sure to let us know as soon as your book becomes available.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hello bob, that's great news about your book, congratulations ! and making it available as a free download before it's published is a brilliant way to get some publicity and start gaining readers. i believe cory doctorow (among others) managed to make a name for himself partially through free ebooks which allowed new readers to discover his work.

hopefully it will continue to be available as an ebook after the paper version is published as well ! if harper collins has no plans to do that, and you've retained the digital rights, you might think about publishing it yourself via any number of the distribution plateforms available for writers. or if you want to continue giving it away, take a look at feedbooks for an excellent publishing and distribution plateform. in addition, there are plenty of people here on MR who would probably be happy to help you with the format conversion in exchange for a free copy of the book.

please do let us know when it's available ; i love mysteries and i'm always happy to find a new author. cheers !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Bob and welcome to the Forum. You owe your wife!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
HarryPigg
Alleged Writer
HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks all for the welcome and support.
To answer your questions: yes, the book is a mystery - of sorts. My publisher conjured up the phrase "nursery rhyme noir" to describe it and I think it's pretty good. It swims in the same pool as Jasper Fforde but I'm very much paddling in the shallow end.
My avatar is a cut from the draft cover and as I get more details I'll happily post them here.
HarryPigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
"nursery rhyme noir", heh, sounds good ! looking forward to reading it. please do keep us updated.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:03 AM   #9
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryPigg View Post
It swims in the same pool as Jasper Fforde
Oooh - looking forward to hearing more about it too - he's one of my favourite authors!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote