Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #61
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Looks fine to me (and Validates in Calibre sans the missing links)

Block Level tags can not be split. Check your nesting ( pretty formatting visually helps)
Code:
<p>
<div> x</p> 
</div>
Found it, fixed it. Many thanks!

Quote:
You went to a lot of trouble to make a narrow TOC.
Then you have the 'PART <timestamp>' which made it wide.
Another <br /> needed?

Code:
<div>

<a href="../Text/102-004-001.xhtml">PART TWO</a><br /> Wednesday, 5:30 P.M.-11:00 P.M.<br/>

</div>
Something I'm going to look at--as you can see from the screenshot below, it displays fine in Calibre. What I'm looking for is to keep it as true to the original book as possible, while making it display well on e-reader devices. I'm going to look at the page on my tablet as well as my phone and see if the breaks are necessary.

I was not only designing a slimmer Table, for display on e-readers, but also to align the links visually, as it's shown in the screenshot. When I ripped the table from the book, I neglected to bring my monospace font along, so that didn't display in the one I posted. Have that corrected as well.

I need to check the presentation on both my tablet as well as on my phone, just to see how it renders. If there is an untoward wrap, I'll add breaks as necessary to line it up.

I'm curious, though--did you also experience the problem that prompted the original post, that of Sigil placing an extra line space between the blocks with each save? (Hopefully this question will bring the post more on-topic...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.png
Views:	146
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	152327  

Last edited by JustinThought; 10-12-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:49 PM   #62
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Code view, except for <pre> pairs,
can have as many blank lines to make it easy
Those are only for Humans to make coding easier.
just like <space><space><space><space> is rendered as one space

BTW Calibre and Sigils view are very forgiving. Check on real devices
Advert
Old 10-16-2016, 09:17 AM   #63
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Code view, except for <pre> pairs,
can have as many blank lines to make it easy
Those are only for Humans to make coding easier.
just like <space><space><space><space> is rendered as one space
I'm aware of that. This wasn't posted in the form of a complaint, believe me. I know Sigil does a little "housekeeping" on the code with each save, and normally that's a very welcome activity. Just that, with this (probably unique) situation, it was "emptying the ashtrays" to excess. As I said in my post, because of the sometimes...ummmm...questionable power here, I tend to hit the Ctrl+S key frequently. Then, when i go back to the TOC, sometimes I was having to page-down in order to get past all the blank lines that were added. As you stated, it doesn't affect the presentation at all, which was the reason I said it was pretty unimportant.

Quote:
BTW Calibre and Sigils view are very forgiving. Check on real devices
Boy, that's for sure! Nothing illustrates that better than the four screenshots, all of the same page, below. The ones on my devices were taken from within Gitden Reader; I still haven't found the combination that consistently displays the colored chapter headings from within Moon+ reader--although sometimes it will. That's part of my OTHER discussion in a different thread.

I continue to believe that these are probably the two most valuable tools for e-book creation--especially with the support that experienced users such as yourself are willing to provide. And the price(s) can't be beat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DF-Sigil.png
Views:	159
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	152407   Click image for larger version

Name:	DF-Calibre.png
Views:	143
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	152408   Click image for larger version

Name:	DF-tablet_2016-10-16-07-27-00.png
Views:	150
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	152409   Click image for larger version

Name:	DF-S3-20161016-075146.png
Views:	147
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	152410  
Old 10-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #64
JustinThought
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm still trying to get it to happen (the disappearing clips) with the stock v0.9.6. Can't determine whether the newer version of Qt fixes it until I can get it to mess up with current version.
This discussion has convinced me to start using this functionality of Sigil. What can I say except WOW!

Then, I ran across the problem under discussion. In that case, I had four instances of Sigil running, four different files, of course. When I opened the fourth one, my saved searches disappeared from the first three instances, while remaining in the fourth.

So, I closed everything down, then called up four blank instances of Sigil. Opened the first file, everything was fine. Opened the second file, bye-bye saved searches.

Okay, shut everything down again. Open an instance of Sigil. Open my first file. All good. Open a second instance of Sigil. Open the second file. Everything still good. Rinse and repeat for the third and fourth instances, and saved searches remained in all four instances.

This is on a machine running a (rather old) install of Windows 7 64-bit, which has never been connected to the internet, so whatever QT came "out of the box" is what it is using now.

Anyway, FWIW, I hope this helps you to track down this very elusive anomaly.

edit: oops, forgot to mention, I have both Epubcheck and FlightCrew addons loaded. Just to get a complete picture of what the environment looks like.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:02 PM   #65
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
This discussion has convinced me to start using this functionality of Sigil. What can I say except WOW!

Then, I ran across the problem under discussion. In that case, I had four instances of Sigil running, four different files, of course. When I opened the fourth one, my saved searches disappeared from the first three instances, while remaining in the fourth.

So, I closed everything down, then called up four blank instances of Sigil. Opened the first file, everything was fine. Opened the second file, bye-bye saved searches.

Okay, shut everything down again. Open an instance of Sigil. Open my first file. All good. Open a second instance of Sigil. Open the second file. Everything still good. Rinse and repeat for the third and fourth instances, and saved searches remained in all four instances.

This is on a machine running a (rather old) install of Windows 7 64-bit, which has never been connected to the internet, so whatever QT came "out of the box" is what it is using now.

Anyway, FWIW, I hope this helps you to track down this very elusive anomaly.
Thanks for testing the bug and demonstrating it. Because this bug can not be reproduced on Linux or Macintosh, the source of the bug is almost certainly in Qt itself and has to do with inter (across) process file locking. Unfortunately, all we can do is create a bug report on Qt which if past bug reports on Qt are any indication, will simply be ignored for years.

We can try to create a platform specific workaround for this, but OS level inter-process file locking on Windows is really a black box to me. I guess, we could duplicate the clips.ini file itself with every launch into a temp space and then point each process to its own copy, but that seems a bit overkill. Read-only file locking should not be an issue unless something is in the process of writing to the clips ini file but as far as we know, that does not happen until we close the preferences.

KevinH
Advert
Old 10-26-2016, 01:26 PM   #66
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've yet to get it to happen even on Windows. I've tried everything people have suggested on a tired 32-bit Vista system and a fairly robust 64-bit Windows 7 system, and I can't get it to happen. Not that I don't believe the reports are accurate, I just wonder how widespread the issue really is. I'm also still wondering if the realtime antivirus/malware scanning of accessed files could play a part in the file-locking issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThought View Post

Note that you are the first to report this issue with the "saved searches" feature. All others have been very clear to point out that only their clips are affected, while saved searches always worked as it should. Probably part of the same problem, but I just thought it should be noted. I missed that distinction when I first read your post.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-26-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:06 PM   #67
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I did some more searching for bugs related to Qt QSettings and found the following online:

Quote:
From the 5.4.0 change log:

* [QTBUG-21739] The locking mechanism inside QSettings has changed
and is no longer compatible with the one of previous versions of
Qt. There might be corruption if two applications running different
versions of Qt are writing to the same config file at the same
time. You must also now have write permissions in the directory
containing the settings file in order to write settings.
So running multiple instances of Sigil with different versions of Qt could results in the behaviour some are reporting. It also may have nothing to do with it.

So we really need to rule this out and for every instance of Sigil running check the "About" box and report the build date and version, and Qt version, to make sure we are not mixing Qt versions across multiple instances of Sigil that are running.

It can be easy to run multiple different versions of Sigil at the same time given how programs are launched by menu and with changes in paths.

So if you can reproduce either of these QSettings related problems when running mutliple instances of Sigil on Windows, would you please check the "About" box and verify all versions of Sigil running are identical. That way we can rule this out as the cause.

Also as DiapDealer pointed out, this could also be related to virus checkers and other things interfering with reading of a shared file across processes.

KevinH
Old 10-26-2016, 04:10 PM   #68
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I have seen this bug every now and then and I always use the same version/instance of Sigil. It is not consistent unfortunately.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:36 PM   #69
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Quote:
Note that you are the first to report this issue with the "saved searches" feature. All others have been very clear to point out that only their clips are affected, while saved searches always worked as it should. Probably part of the same problem, but I just thought it should be noted. I missed that distinction when I first read your post.
I had this happen to me last week. I had two files open in Sigil and after I closed the first one, my Saved Searches were missing from the second one. The Saved Searches reappeared after I closed the Search dialogue box and reopened it. I'm running the current version of Sigil (v0.9.6, qt: 5.4.2 on 18/6/2016) on my netbook using Windows 7 Starter.

Last edited by MickiTee; 10-27-2016 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Adding additional info
Old 10-29-2016, 10:35 AM   #70
Mister L
Groupie
Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Sony 350
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiTee View Post
I had this happen to me last week. I had two files open in Sigil and after I closed the first one, my Saved Searches were missing from the second one. The Saved Searches reappeared after I closed the Search dialogue box and reopened it. I'm running the current version of Sigil (v0.9.6, qt: 5.4.2 on 18/6/2016) on my netbook using Windows 7 Starter.
Just as an update, I've now definitely also had it happen with saved searches. I had never noticed it with those before but I didn't check religiously either, I was far more concerned with the clips (which are visible in the main window, making their disappearance obvious), so it might have been happening irregularly all along. I also use clips more frequently than saved searches which I use mainly for specific clean-up/finishing details tasks.

I'm always running the same version of Sigil even when i have multiple instances. I'm using Avast antivirus if that helps at all.
Closed Thread